Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-14-2017, 05:48 PM   #1
carterista
Apprentice

Brad Cox and Sassy Little Lila

I followed Sassy Little Lila ever since she defeated PENJADE and came second to MY IMPRESSION last year. I thought that she would be one of the better 4-year old fillies, but here we are, she has yet to win a STAKE race!

I keep getting notices that Cox enters her in races and then scratches her? I keep hearing and reading at how a great trainer he is...well I think that it's about time SHEEP POND PARTNERS give her to a different trainer: Clement or Mott would certainly know what to do with her.

SASSY LITTLE LILA had as much chance of winning FOURSTARDAVE G-1 as MOHAYNAM has winning the WOODWARD. The race was a joke, she just ended up impeding Ballagh Rocks.
carterista is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2017, 06:56 PM   #2
Afleet

I thought she was in a great spot last week and was scratched for the Fourstardave, stupid move in my opinion. I had her as a single in the Pick 6 race she scratched out of and the heavy favorite lost due to no pace in the race.

STAKES Fasig-Tipton De La Rose S. Black Type - Thoroughbred
Fractional Times 24.37 48.07 1:11.51Final Time 1:35.42

Think she would have wired this field easily
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2017, 07:10 PM   #3
Robert Fischer
clean money

She's an optional claimer, maybe a fringe stakes horse.

Very passive tactics from her rivals(Ortiz aboard Celestine) almost handed her a free Grade 1, but Chad Brown had that Antonoe, and she happened to run a freakish race.

Cox probably actually moved her up for that start. And that was likely near her peak performance.

However, have to remember that his improvements seem to ebb and flow, and this was shortly after he moved-up Dowse's Beach. He doesn't seem to be quite as hot right now.

I'd guess that SLA missed her chance at any Graded Stakes, but she'll always have a puncher's chance, between the propensity of slow paces, and her barn's capability of getting hot.

Probably a more realistic classing for next start.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:33 PM   #4
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
She's an optional claimer, maybe a fringe stakes horse.

Very passive tactics from her rivals(Ortiz aboard Celestine) almost handed her a free Grade 1, but Chad Brown had that Antonoe, and she happened to run a freakish race.

Cox probably actually moved her up for that start. And that was likely near her peak performance.

However, have to remember that his improvements seem to ebb and flow, and this was shortly after he moved-up Dowse's Beach. He doesn't seem to be quite as hot right now.

I'd guess that SLA missed her chance at any Graded Stakes, but she'll always have a puncher's chance, between the propensity of slow paces, and her barn's capability of getting hot.

Probably a more realistic classing for next start.
Running second in two grade 1's? Once could be a fluke, but twice doubt it. American Oaks had twelve horses in it, but the winner hasn't run back. The 3rd place horse couldn't hit the board in a grade 2 or 3 in 2017, but won two black type races. So maybe that race was light, but she seems like at least a G3 animal. Like to see her sheet #'s
Old 08-14-2017, 08:47 PM   #5
Dahoss9698
Veteran

She's got 3 wins and 4 seconds from 9 lifetime starts. Was 2nd in 2 grade 1's and someone wants to give her to another trainer.

In a day and age where we see small fields because everyone is afraid to take a chance, they take one and someone wants the horse taken away from the trainer. Awesome.

Was it ambitious? Yeah. Did she run her race? Hell no. Brad Cox is a terrific trainer. She'll be back.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2017, 08:52 PM   #6
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698 View Post
She's got 3 wins and 4 seconds from 9 lifetime starts. Was 2nd in 2 grade 1's and someone wants to give her to another trainer.

In a day and age where we see small fields because everyone is afraid to take a chance, they take one and someone wants the horse taken away from the trainer. Awesome.

Was it ambitious? Yeah. Did she run her race? Hell no. Brad Cox is a terrific trainer. She'll be back.
The ground definitely didn't help her. There was a long rain delay not sure what the official turf condition was, I wasn't playing Saratoga that day
Old 08-15-2017, 08:11 PM   #7
burnsy
self medicated

World Approval and Time Test clearly outclassed that field. The results kind of proved the point in a strangely bet event. I really could not see past those two when looking at the race other than a freak outcome due to the weather. If they keep World Approval at a mile to a mile and 1/8 he's going to be hard to beat in his current form. Looked all the part Saturday in the paddock and schooled the rest on track. The cut back hits him between the eyes. Time Test was the only other horse with a chance.......the rest were window dressing, but you can't fault the connections for taking a shot in a very tough spot. Sassy Little Lila has the right style for a mile on that track.......she just ran into two buzz saws in that race.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: