Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 03-09-2018, 06:53 PM   #1
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Browns get Tyrod Taylor

This is going to be fun to watch the Browns try to build a team

I think they should stick with players named after car parts
Old 03-09-2018, 08:24 PM   #2
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Browns have two things: a ton of draft picks (#1 and 4 in the first round and three in the second round)and even after paying Taylor (placeholder QB for whoever they draft as their future quarterback) and Jarvis Landry they still have 81 million in cap space.They need a different head coach but they were competitive in most of their games last year.IF they draft and spend wisely, this team could be something to be reckoned with in a couple of years.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-09-2018, 09:20 PM   #3
kingfin66
Bombardier

Mark my words, they are going to screw it up. Well, they may not screw it up, but things will not roll out the way they think. A draft pick will get injured, or get in trouble. Or they will make a dumb trade. They are the Browns, and the they from Cleveland. Don't get your hopes up.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:52 PM   #4
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
Mark my words, they are going to screw it up. Well, they may not screw it up, but things will not roll out the way they think. A draft pick will get injured, or get in trouble. Or they will make a dumb trade. They are the Browns, and the they from Cleveland. Don't get your hopes up.
The Cavaliers and Indians have done pretty well lately.

Old 03-10-2018, 12:34 AM   #5
kingfin66
Bombardier

Did the Indians win a World Series and I just missed it? I recall a major choke against the Cubbies. Yes, Cleveland did get it done, but I still believe that this 30 for 30 has more relevance. Take some time to watch it and bring yourself up to speed a little bit.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4b4sw9
Old 03-11-2018, 01:59 PM   #6
Robert Fischer
clean money

I'd love to see an NFL team employ some creative 'moneyball' and build a team.

Where the hell did Jacksonville come from this year? I didn't pay enough attention to know whether it was due to smart strategy, but they went from Brown-level to wildcard/respectable. They were able to bully the Steelers.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:04 PM   #7
Secondbest

Hue Jackson is what 1-31 in two years. How can you win with that kind of coaching?
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2018, 02:09 PM   #8
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post

Where the hell did Jacksonville come from this year? I didn't pay enough attention to know whether it was due to smart strategy, but they went from Brown-level to wildcard/respectable. They were able to bully the Steelers.
Defense. They have a ton of 1st/2nd/3rd rounders on D that grew up this year. They are young, and they are fast.

Give Jax a real QB, and watch out.

As for Cleveland? They have been floundering forever. Amazing how bad they have been with all the help of #1 or 2 or 3 overall picks for nearly 2 decades.

I do believe, however, there are winds of change there as well. 0-16 to the playoffs the next year? Maybe not. But 2019 shouldn't be out of the question.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2018, 05:06 PM   #9
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
Defense. They have a ton of 1st/2nd/3rd rounders on D that grew up this year. They are young, and they are fast.

Give Jax a real QB, and watch out.

As for Cleveland? They have been floundering forever. Amazing how bad they have been with all the help of #1 or 2 or 3 overall picks for nearly 2 decades.

I do believe, however, there are winds of change there as well. 0-16 to the playoffs the next year? Maybe not. But 2019 shouldn't be out of the question.
Just off the top of my head Joe Haden(cornerback), whats his name the WR- oh Josh Gordon, Terrell Pryor, Joe Thomas(lineman), the pick that they selected Johnny 'football' Manziel with, etc... = a lot of wasted talent

I remember when they were at least respectable with Bernie Kosar @ QB and the backfield of Byner and Mack
Old 03-11-2018, 08:40 PM   #10
barahona44

Quote:
Just off the top of my head Joe Haden(cornerback), whats his name the WR- oh Josh Gordon, Terrell Pryor, Joe Thomas(lineman), the pick that they selected Johnny 'football' Manziel with, etc... = a lot of wasted talent

I remember when they were at least respectable with Bernie Kosar @ QB and the backfield of Byner and Mack
The Kosar-Byner-Mack Browns were the franchise that later became the Ravens.The "new" Browns unfortunately have a meddling owner in Jimmy Haslam,( who also owns the Pilot-Flying J truck stop chain) who keeps hiring lousy coaches.and worse front office people.He finally has a halfway decent GM in John Dorsey (ex Chiefs GM who lost a power struggle with Andy Reid last year) but insisted that 1-31 coach Hue Jackson be retained.If Haslam can stop intefering and let the football people make the decisions, they might be something in a couple of years.The AFC North ain't what it used to be.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:04 PM   #11
Valuist

If one looks past just the win/loss record the past 2 years, there are some decent players on the Browns. Their biggest problem? Terrible QB play, specifically way too many INTs and fumbles. Tyrod Taylor may not be a Hall of Famer, but he is very good at not turning the ball over. The Browns just had a huge upgrade at the QB position and could take the top RB (Barkley) in the draft as well as add the 4th pick. This team will be competitive in 2018.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2018, 02:08 PM   #12
Valuist

Quote:

As for Moneyball, Cleveland is doing it. Paul DePodesta, who was Billy Beane's assistant with the A's, is the GM for the Browns (yes, switching sports).

It was a collection of very good defensive players and adding a piece or two for Jax. The Jags had the very best pass defense in both QB rating against and pass yardage and were 2nd in sacks. On the offensive side, Leonard Fournette was a very big addition at RB.

Football Outsiders nailed predictions on both Jacksonville and the Rams as being the two most improved teams.

Last edited by Valuist; 03-12-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2018, 07:35 PM   #13
proximity

the head coach is ultimately accountable but back towards the beginning of the month they were really ripping defensive coordinator gregg williams and his "angel" scheme on @sharpfootball:

they were pretty solid against the long pass for two games but i remember before they played the colts in game 3 that ty hilton guaranteed victory and i think ty knew that he would beat the angel deep. after that it seemed everyone was beating it.
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2018, 10:10 AM   #14
burnsy
self medicated

Being a Bills fan, I'm wondering who they get. Plus, they are damn near as wretched as the Browns when it comes to QB's. So, this could be yet another Bozo move by the Bills. My fear is the Bills will acquire a washed up vet or one of these rookies out of the draft that goes flop. The media hype around the QB's is "best class since 1983"........give me a break. Seems like the "experts" say this every year! Out of the top 5 prospects every one of them has problems with injury or holes in their game. If the Bills don't do right by this move, history says they won't. We will be sucking again. Anything less than a playoff appearance in the weak ass AFC is unforgivable.

Last edited by burnsy; 03-14-2018 at 10:12 AM.
burnsy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2018, 11:34 AM   #15
barahona44

Patriots lost Nate Solder (grossly overpaid by the Giants- he's now the highest paid lineman in the NFL and has never played in the Pro Bowl), Malcolm "Put Me In, Coach" Butler and Dion Lewis to the Titans and Danny Amaedola to Miami.Looks like Bellichik's policy of underpaying players and "taking one for the team" is starting to unravel especially after the Super Bowl loss.They'll still make the playoffs because the AFC East is so weakass but I think the B & B Super Bowl dynasty has come to an end.