Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 03-09-2018, 02:23 AM   #16
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
AL division winners
Hou
Cle
NYY

Wild cards
Bos
LAA

NL division winners
LAD
Chi
Was

Wild cards
StL
SF

World Series: Cubs beat Astros in six
A truly wise man. Although I would probably put the Diamondbacks as one of the NL wild cards. But that is nit picking.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:30 AM   #17
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
Money continues to come in on the over, now up to 69 1/2 (over at -120).

Their minor leagues are loaded; just a matter of when the prospects get up to the MLB level.
I agree. I don't think they will reach .500 this year but I am thinking mid 70s for wins.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:21 PM   #18
LemonSoupKid

I'd be more interested in your take on win totals since what I see above is all chalk. And there's nothing wrong with that unless you are associating a price with it that you'd bet.
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-09-2018, 12:22 PM   #19
LemonSoupKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
IMO...the best bet on the board is the White Sox UNDER 68.
The White Sox over is my best best of all, and I've got a lot of money on it (my number is 68.5).
Old 03-09-2018, 12:24 PM   #20
LemonSoupKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutuelClerk View Post
The Tigers will lose more than the Sox. Same division. Terrible division.
Agreed, I'm on the Tigers under.

The Central isn't terrible, Minnesota and the White Sox are vastly improved/improving. In 2019 the White Sox can be a very real contender. Royals are certainly moving down, and the Tigers are brutal though, yes. Which is why the similar number for White Sox and Tigers is so, so silly.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:10 PM   #21
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
Time to post my opinion. Most of you know that I am from the Chicago area and I am a Cubs fan-for almost seventy years. So, it will come as no surprise that I think the Cubs are the best team in Major League baseball, and by a wide margin.

Begin with the starting pitching. Top to bottom, no team is as deep as the Cubs.
Lester, Quintana, and Darvish have all been aces either on the Cubs or on their previous teams. Everybody says that Hendricks is an ace of the future and many say the future is now. If you only consider Chatwood's starts away from Coors Field you should be quite impressed. And you should only consider those starts because he will be making at most one start at Coors this season.

What else do they have? The best young catcher in Willson Contreras, both defensively and offensively. A gold glove first baseman who averages thirty home runs a year in Anthony Rizzo The best defensive second baseman in the game and maybe the best defensive infielder of all in Javy Baez. Expect Addison Russell to contend for comeback of the year at short. Then there is Kris Bryant at third. Rookie of the Year; Most Valuable Player and only 25 years old.

In the outfield, a slimmed down Kyle Schwarber has already stolen three bases; Albert Almora is making the impossible catch routine and Ian Happ is tearing the cover off the ball and also making circus catches in Center Field.
Plus he can fill in at second, third and first base.

There are other good teams such as Houston and the Los Angeles Dodgers. The Washington Nationals will certainly be heard from as well as the Cleveland Indians and Arizona Diamondbacks. But when all is said and done, it is the Cubs who will be hoisting that World Series trophy.
It feels like the dominance of the 2016 season seems to be forgotten by many. The World Series hangover was not completely unexpected; they played sub par most of the first half yet still ended up with over 90 wins and a 3rd straight NLCS.

I agree 100% on Chatwood. I cashed a number of bets on him when he pitched on the road. Pitchers who rely on movement (like Chatwood) are going to really struggle at Coors.

I won't go quite as far to say the best team by a wide margin, but one of about 6 teams that are at the top and could win the WS. I actually see a bit of regression in the Dodgers.

I also think people are overlooking the Indians a bit. Yes, Houston and the Yankees are very good teams, but I would not be shocked to see the Indians return to the WS.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2018, 10:11 PM   #22
olddaddy

The White Sox would be one of the toughest teams to gauge. The over under will depend on when management decides to bring up the touted prospects. This is one I wouldnt touch with a ten foot pole.
olddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2018, 12:23 PM   #23
Valuist

I was in Vegas this past weekend and I have four MLB season win totals:

San Francisco Under 84
Minnesota Under 85
Cleveland Over 94 1/2
Texas Under 76 1/2

I almost pulled the trigger on the Dodgers Under 96 1/2 and with the subsequent Justin Turner injury, I wish I had.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:21 AM   #24
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
I was in Vegas this past weekend and I have four MLB season win totals:

San Francisco Under 84
Minnesota Under 85
Cleveland Over 94 1/2
Texas Under 76 1/2

I almost pulled the trigger on the Dodgers Under 96 1/2 and with the subsequent Justin Turner injury, I wish I had.
San Fran under 84 really looking good after Baumgarner injury.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:34 AM   #25
nomadpat

I took Oakland over 75.5. I created a system against the spread last year and they kept coming up as plays even though their record wasn't great. They should have had more runs created and less given up given their stats, so hoping that means a positive 2018.
nomadpat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2018, 08:42 PM   #26
Valuist

Quote:
San Fran under 84 really looking good after Baumgarner injury.
Ty Blach will be the Opening day starter. Apparently Cueto isn't ready, and Samardijza has a pec issue.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:44 PM   #27
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadpat View Post
I took Oakland over 75.5. I created a system against the spread last year and they kept coming up as plays even though their record wasn't great. They should have had more runs created and less given up given their stats, so hoping that means a positive 2018.
I like that play. I like to check WRC+ with runners in scoring position relative to overall WRC+. According to that, Oakland had the worst sequencing in MLB. They should've scored quite a few more runs than they did. My Texas under play is sort of a second derivative of Oakland under and not expecting much regression from Houston and LAA to be improved.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:20 PM   #28
LemonSoupKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddaddy View Post
The White Sox would be one of the toughest teams to gauge. The over under will depend on when management decides to bring up the touted prospects. This is one I wouldnt touch with a ten foot pole.
In full disclosure along with the above, I'm on Mets under (+odds), Tigers under, Pirates under.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:13 PM   #29
Valuist

Quote:
A truly wise man. Although I would probably put the Diamondbacks as one of the NL wild cards. But that is nit picking.
San Francisco has almost no chance. I didn't like them with MadBum and Samardijza healthy, and now both are out. They traded for aging power. It's an organization in denial about a rebuild.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:21 PM   #30
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Three weeks-and one day-from the start of the Major League Baseball season.
Time for our New York posters to make unrealistic and delusional predictions about how well the Mets will do.

Seriously, here is one set of predictions on the win-loss possibilities of all the teams. A good place to start the discussion.

Following the team names, the first number is the actual number of wins during the 2017 season. The second number is the projected number of wins for 2018.
Let the discussion begin.
https://www.oddsshark.com/mlb/mlb-season-win-totals

Team
2017 Wins
2018 Win Total
Arizona Diamondbacks

Atlanta Braves

Baltimore Orioles

Boston Red Sox

Chicago Cubs

Chicago White Sox

Cincinnati Reds

Cleveland Indians

Colorado Rockies

Detroit Tigers

Houston Astros

Kansas City Royals

Los Angeles Angels

Los Angeles Dodgers

Miami Marlins

Milwaukee Brewers

Minnesota Twins

New York Mets

New York Yankees

Oakland A’s

Philadelphia Phillies

Pittsburgh Pirates

San Diego Padres
San Francisco Giants

Seattle Mariners

St. Louis Cardinals

Tampa Bay Rays

Texas Rangers

Toronto Blue Jays

Washington Nationals
Both the Mets and the Yankees will be over their projected wins.

The Braves could win a game or two over, with the Phillies now an under. Their manager has already proven to be the dumbest guy ever to manage a team -- and there's 160 games left!

The Cubs will be a few games under their projection only because the Cardinals are geared for a very good year, and they should be an over bet.

The Indians' number seems too high so I'll peg them as an under. Remember their pitching coach is no longer there as he's managing the under-rated NY Mets. That truly is a big loss for the Indians, imo.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: