Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #91
Stevie Belmont

Zenyatta should be.

She has been a victim of unfortunate circumstances over the past two years. This year Blame will be. The girl has to have that HOTY attached to her name at least once.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #92
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Belmont
Zenyatta should be.

She has been a victim of unfortunate circumstances over the past two years. This year Blame will be. The girl has to have that HOTY attached to her name at least once.
Why is Blame an "unfortunate circumstance"?? Why does Zenyatta "have" to have HOY attached to her name?? Why does she have to be a victim??

Maybe, just maybe, she wasn't raced by her connections correctly, and they left something in the barn each year that could have made her more worthy of HOY. She doesn't deserve it, and trying to correct the mistake the Moss's made is worse than having done nothing about it. Maybe next time the owner of a Zenyatta will realize that ducking the competition isn't rewarded with a sympathy vote.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2010, 12:14 PM   #93
Steve R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Z

Even though Blame beat her, he doesn't feel like the HOY.

She does.

Ought to be interesting.
He doesn't "feel" like Horse of the Year?
Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #94
depalma113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
It wouldnt be unfair, because the award is horse of the year, not horse of the BC Classic. If it was HOTBCC than yes, it would be unfair, but it is horse of the year. The problem i have with Blame is he was a no-show in NY in October and ran lackluster and lost by a boatload of lengths in uncompetitive fashion. Zenyatta lost to one horse this year and Blame lost to one horse this year...but, the horse Z lost to is far superior than the horse Blame lost to.

I just want my HOY candidate to actually 'show up' in all their starts for the year. Blame had 5 starts and was a no show in 20 percent of them. I know he got 2nd, but he was horrible in there, had no real run and was never competitive for the win.

In the end, Blame will probably win, but i'd love to see him lose though.
Blame was not a no show in October, he ran in a race that had lone speed that was loose on the lead. He closed into that lone speed. He ran pretty damn good based on that scenerio.

As for the betting public comment. I really like it when the ignorant public gives away free money. Even money was a joke.
depalma113 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2010, 12:21 PM   #95
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R
He doesn't "feel" like Horse of the Year?
I have Aleve if you'd like some Steve. I already took mine.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2010, 12:42 PM   #96
Steve R

No one has considered that Zenyatta was getting three pounds from Blame even though she looks about twice his size in the video. If I remember correctly, racing secretaries have historically used one pound at 10f as equal to one length. The smaller horse giving weight has to be worth something in assessing his performance.
Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #97
keithw84

While I wish HOY would go to a horse with more than 5 starts, Blame is most deserving this year. Hewon races against males, which Zenyatta did not do. Also, the horses he beat in races before the Classic weren't slouches - Fly Down, Quality Road, Haynesfield.

The fact that Zenyatta is even in the discussion shows how much the "of the year" is getting minimized.

As far as the older female division, one could argue Unrivaled Belle has beaten more than Zenyatta.

Last edited by keithw84; 11-07-2010 at 02:11 PM.
keithw84 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2010, 05:50 PM   #98
oddsmaven

The Classic carries a great deal of weight so last year I felt Zenyatta should've been HOY, although the surface issue and Rachel's series of big wins made it debatable. This year, I don't see the case for Zenyatta. Her connections were fully entitled to do as they chose which was to map out another do or die campaign that was only ambitious with the last race and she lost it. Heroically, but Blame won. Nothing wrong with that conservative approach, but there was nothing else to fall back on.

Blame did more than Z this year coming in & deserves to cinch it with the win. Not a lot of starts, but that is in keeping with the times now.
oddsmaven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #99
nijinski

They really should do a tie then this year , gotta give her due and if they
feel they can't overlook Blame just do both .
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #100
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijinski
They really should do a tie then this year , gotta give her due and if they
feel they can't overlook Blame just do both .
I, and many others, felt the same way last year.

It just won't happen.

Ties don't occur in this country.......it's un-American.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2010, 06:59 PM   #101
BluegrassProf

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijinski
They really should do a tie then this year...just do both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses
I, and many others, felt the same way last year.
Ohdeargod. Please, not again.

Fin.

No mas.

H4C: Learn from your mistakes. Take a moment to think about the rationale behind the 2009 award, and perhaps this year's version won't look as shocking as you might think it to be.

Prohibiting a tie isn't unamerican (in fact, in a "you're all super-great!" society, it's quite the opposite!); it's objective, or at least ideally-so - particularly when that objectivity confirms what your good sense already told you. Use your choice of accomplishment-based standards: Blame is 2010 HotY. I'll defer any further comments on the matter to CJ, since his thoughts on the subject seem to mirror mine almost verbatim. Sorry, man...

Zen was a thrill to watch, and all due respect for providing us with a whole boatload of drama. But this is a big ol' sport, and she has her place, for now and for all time - nothing will change that, for better or for worse...HotY be damned.

Here's to a great season and an even more exciting 2011...

Last edited by BluegrassProf; 11-07-2010 at 07:10 PM.
BluegrassProf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2010, 07:14 PM   #102
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegrassProf
Ohdeargod. Please, not again.

Fin.

No mas.

H4C: Learn from your mistakes. Take a moment to think about the rationale behind the 2009 award, and perhaps this year's version won't look as shocking as you might think it to be.

Prohibiting a tie isn't unamerican (in fact, in a "you're all super-great!" society, it's quite the opposite!); it's objective, or at least ideally-so - particularly when that objectivity confirms what your good sense already told you. Use your choice of accomplishment-based standards: Blame is 2010 HotY.

Here's to a great season and an even more exciting 2011...
As I stated earlier in this thread, my head says Blame, and my heart says Z.
I, contrary to your beliefs, have not made any mistake. This year, or last.

You seem a bit confused, my friend.
Prohibiting ties is most certainly the American way.
Name any sport, or contest with an electoral process, that allows ties in the US.
People in this nation are turned-off by ties - they always need a winner.

Chess is about as far as ties go over here, and if there was "American chess",
draws would be a thing of the past.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2010, 10:11 PM   #103
keithw84

Regarding the "Blame doesn't feel like HOTY," comment... I think Blame SHOULD be HOTY, and yet, I understand the sentiment.

Maybe it's because he wasn't a household name or well-known the whole year like LAL, QR, and of course, Z.

Maybe it's because of the way he grinds out wins. I am reminded of something Steve Asmussen said one time - that Curlin was very "blue collar" - just grinding out wins, while Rachel Alexandra was a "diva." I think Blame is kind of like Curlin in this regard. He puts in great performances, but they aren't flashy like many of Rachel's wins, not are they as dramatic as many of Zenyatta's.

That said, it shouldn't matter who feels like HOTY. There is an Eclipse Award that is based on feelings and it is "Moment of the Year"... and I imagine that award will go to "Zenyatta's quest for perfection" or something along those lines. Perhaps the video to represent that moment will be the fan (Carlonr?) chanting "ZEN-YA-TTA!"
keithw84 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2010, 03:34 AM   #104
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I'm not going to pretend Blame was some Iron Horse touring the country taking on all comers. He was the best in a weak year. Agree? What did he run, 5 whole times?
Rational objectivity is alive and well. And to think, some call you a biased village idiot...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2010, 03:37 AM   #105
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandDesign
PA,wasnt RA's campaign last year restricted to 3 year olds except for her Woodward where she held off the on coming powerful MAcho Again?
Yeah, but she won the exception.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply