Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-06-2022, 11:15 AM   #46
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombsAway Bob View Post
I'd love to see all these keyboard trash-talkers try, just for one day,
to do what TVG on-air talent are required to do in an afternoon shift.
They are obligated to put out cheap horizontal tickets on cheap
claiming races from 4 tracks without knowledge of late scratches or track
conditions/bias. Then, they go on air while getting instructions from
TV producers in their earpiece while trying to shift between 4 different tracks
every hour and give opines on seemingly endless exciting 5-horse fields.
Horseplayers shit on some TVG people for "chalky" tickets, or crap on
Ken because he's willing to take stabs when there's a vulnerable or
overwhelming favorite to try for a big score.
LIGHTEN UP folks, you'll live longer.
Doing 4 hours of live television, especially on tracks you're not used to, is difficult.

The thing that's always impressed me is the hosts and analysts don't phone it in. They prepare. They do the requisite work bring some substance to each shift.

I can honestly say I've never had a bad experience either on the air or personally with anyone at TVG.

Ken Rudulph does try to impart his opinion. Why? Because that's what all of us horseplayers do. Why? Because it's fun.

However, he will always defer to his analysts and form his questions in a fashion that he's conceding they are at the desk to be experts. That's all anyone can ask.

He always treated me with the utmost respect and professionalism. He's a good guy.

One of my favorite traits in people is consistency of character. That describes Matt. Always upbeat, ALWAYS PREPARED, always respectful to everyone involved in the broadcast.

It makes perfect sense why people would knock the air talent at TVG. They are opinionated about something that we all have opinions on as well. But I've never understood some of the crossing the line hate.

They're just people with families, mortgages, kids, trying to make a living like the rest of us.

TVG isn't perfect. But imagine the racing landscape without it? For me that would certainly not be as good as we currently have it.

Todd Schrupp takes the most heat IMO. Some he brings on himself by being a bit of a goof. IMO that's just his personality. But make no mistake he loves our game. He's 20 years into this and his energy and willingness to share his passion for our sport is very strong.

He is an elite broadcaster in that he can handle any situation and do it with the proper feel and emphasis. I think he could make stacks more in mainstream media but LOVES horse racing.

I go all the way back to the very beginning. I was part of the second wave of full time hires in October of 1999. I honestly never met anyone I didn't like and respect. Here's some people I worked with you might not remember. But it sure was fun. Some only for a short time. But we did shifts together.

CHRIS HARRISON
PRICILLA HOJIWALA
JESSICA YORK
CRAIG HUMMER
GARY SIEBEL
JEFF LIFSON
CLAUDIA SIMON
JULIE KRONE
KENT DESORMEAUX
IGGY PUGLISI
COREY BLACK
NANCY URY/HOLTHUS
GREG WOLF
PAUL LO DUCA

Some of my favorites who are still doing their thing.

MATT
RICH PERLOFF
MIKE JOYCE
CHRISTINA BLACKER
GEORGE ORTUZAR
SARGE
ET AL

Hey like I said I complain about TVG myself some times. But I sure think we'd be worse off without it.
Old 12-06-2022, 11:18 AM   #47
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

On a positive note - I very much enjoy listening to Caleb Keller.

IMO he is one of the best they have at TVG. Wish he would get more air time when the big afternoon races are on (he's usually on at night).
Old 12-06-2022, 05:00 PM   #48
Brass Hat

I liked watching Priscilla Hojiwala years ago. I don't remember her horse racing acumen, but she had a great personality.
Brass Hat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2022, 07:05 PM   #49
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
On a positive note - I very much enjoy listening to Caleb Keller.

IMO he is one of the best they have at TVG. Wish he would get more air time when the big afternoon races are on (he's usually on at night).
Another very nice guy and solid citizen.
Old 12-06-2022, 07:09 PM   #50
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass Hat View Post
I liked watching Priscilla Hojiwala years ago. I don't remember her horse racing acumen, but she had a great personality.
I think she had been doing straight news before TVG. Good broadcaster don't think she ever caught the racing bug.

I'll tell you all a Pricillia story but can't until many more years have passed. Kinda like the JFK file.

Nothing terrible but quite a story!
Old 12-06-2022, 08:10 PM   #51
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin View Post
If you are not playing TVG tickets, who cares?

I use them as a guide only, as in when I construct my own tickets, they will include a horse I may have overlooked.
One reason I care is for the overall health of the sport. You, me, we take these TVG personality Pick-5s for the most part with a grain of salt. But those being newly exposed to the sport being inundated with suggested $40-50 pick-N wagers as if that's the only way to wager makes for a lot of new players exiting pretty quickly. Win bets, doubles, exactas - more of those would be beneficial. Those also allow better individual race analysis - another good learning tool.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2022, 08:28 PM   #52
Inner Dirt

As for past TVG hosts anyone know if Les Onaka is still among us? All I got were old stories, questionable sites, and I don't do twitter. It does look like he had some health problems, he was a good QH handicapper.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2022, 10:33 PM   #53
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
As for past TVG hosts anyone know if Les Onaka is still among us? All I got were old stories, questionable sites, and I don't do twitter. It does look like he had some health problems, he was a good QH handicapper.
It appears he is holding his own from this August 4th tweet:

BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2022, 11:37 PM   #54
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
One reason I care is for the overall health of the sport. You, me, we take these TVG personality Pick-5s for the most part with a grain of salt. But those being newly exposed to the sport being inundated with suggested $40-50 pick-N wagers as if that's the only way to wager makes for a lot of new players exiting pretty quickly. Win bets, doubles, exactas - more of those would be beneficial. Those also allow better individual race analysis - another good learning tool.
IMO...the reason the TVG hosts push the long horizontal wagers to the extent that they do is because the majority of them can't handicap their way out of a wet paper bag. It takes considerable skill to reduce a decent-sized field down to a single win-bet...but it takes way less skill to throw in several contenders in every leg of a horizontal exotic. The former requires precise handicapping...while the latter is pure guesswork.

If the TVG "handicappers" were any good...they would be pushing win-bets or same-race vertical exotics. That way, the viewers would be enticed to keep wagering on every race...instead of sitting on their hands for 4 or 5 races in order to find out if their pick 4 or pick 5 bears any fruit.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2022, 11:52 PM   #55
jimmyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
IMO...the reason the TVG hosts push the long horizontal wagers to the extent that they do is because the majority of them can't handicap their way out of a wet paper bag. It takes considerable skill to reduce a decent-sized field down to a single win-bet...but it takes way less skill to throw in several contenders in every leg of a horizontal exotic. The former requires precise handicapping...while the latter is pure guesswork.

If the TVG "handicappers" were any good...they would be pushing win-bets or same-race vertical exotics. That way, the viewers would be enticed to keep wagering on every race...instead of sitting on their hands for 4 or 5 races in order to find out if their pick 4 or pick 5 bears any fruit.
Ken does pick singles. It usually goes like this… pick a long shot, it runs out… next race up, pick a 3/2 favorite, same result… next race up, pick the second choice, same result. Repeat.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2022, 12:33 AM   #56
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
Ken does pick singles. It usually goes like this… pick a long shot, it runs out… next race up, pick a 3/2 favorite, same result… next race up, pick the second choice, same result. Repeat.
Some years ago, Rudulph was live at a Southern California track along with Simon Bray and Bob Baedeker. The three of them were watching the horses as they were coming out of the paddock...and Bray and Baedeker were pointing out the advantages and the shortcomings of each horse as the horses were getting onto the track. Rudulph looked as if he was paying close attention to what his two cohosts were saying...and when the two were done with their pre-race comments, Rudulph said something like this:

"You know, guys...it's a huge advantage for me to have you guys break down the field the way you just did. Your knowledge of this game is amazing. And, based on your detailed analysis, I am ready to declare that the in this race has a great chance to win at the unbelievable odds of 35-1!"

And Baedeker and Bray looked at each other in stark disbelief, because the had no chance at all to win the race...nor did either of them make any sort of positive comment at all about this horse's winning chances.

Rudulph disappeared for some years, and when he surfaced upon the horseracing scene again...I hoped that he had acquired a little more handicapping knowledge. How wrong I was...
Old 12-07-2022, 12:58 AM   #57
the little guy

Quote:

No, they give out those multi-race plays because they are told to by their bosses.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2022, 01:04 AM   #58
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
No, they give out those multi-race plays because they are told to by their bosses.
I believe you...but I am confused. Wouldn't it create a bigger wagering volume if the viewers were betting their money on every race...instead of tying up their investment for the duration of a 4 or a 5 race sequence?
Old 12-07-2022, 09:15 AM   #59
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
I believe you...but I am confused. Wouldn't it create a bigger wagering volume if the viewers were betting their money on every race...instead of tying up their investment for the duration of a 4 or a 5 race sequence?
That's where Ken comes in. His pik6 is dead in the first leg, so then you buy a pik5, tht goes out in the firts leg, so you buy a pik 4........you do end up betting every race!

Last edited by Tom; 12-07-2022 at 09:16 AM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2022, 09:56 AM   #60
mikeb

I dont think either one of them know the front end or the back end of a horse.
mike
mikeb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply