Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-02-2022, 05:16 PM   #1
turfeyejoe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,000
Penn National cuts dates, goes to 7-race cards

https://www.pennlive.com/sports/2022...smAcnpFowDaNVY

Penn National's 2023 dates request reduces the number of live racing dates from 150 to 134, by shutting down for 2 weeks in April and 4 more weeks from late September to late October. In addition, all race cards will have just 7 races instead of 8.
Sounds like the beginning of the end of live racing.
turfeyejoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2022, 06:21 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Canandaigua, New york
Posts: 109,301
Actually, sounds promising.
They are realizing what their market will support and acting responsible.

A few other tracks should take notice.
__________________
Who does the Racing Form Detective like in this one?
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2022, 01:19 AM   #3
$w1fT
SaratogaFan1
 
$w1fT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 193
Should’ve lowered takeout instead.
$w1fT is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2022, 09:53 AM   #4
castaway01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Actually, sounds promising.
They are realizing what their market will support and acting responsible.

A few other tracks should take notice.
The very first line of the article says they're cutting live races because slot revenue is way down due to increased competition and they don't have the money to pay the purses. So they're not doing it for any of the reasons you listed.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2022, 10:17 AM   #5
azeri98
Registered User
 
azeri98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
The very first line of the article says they're cutting live races because slot revenue is way down due to increased competition and they don't have the money to pay the purses. So they're not doing it for any of the reasons you listed.
He's not wrong though. Their racing can't even sustain itself with even less slot revenue. Who wants to bet on 5 and 6 horses fields all day. Not many.
azeri98 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2022, 10:37 AM   #6
rastajenk
Just Deplorable
 
rastajenk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lebanon, Ohio
Posts: 7,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by azeri98 View Post
Who wants to bet on 5 and 6 horses fields all day. Not many.
Plus, it's at night. Plus, it's presentation looks dingy and cheap.

"Like others better"
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2022, 12:24 PM   #7
BarchCapper
Registered User
 
BarchCapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Clarksville, AR
Posts: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
Plus, it's at night. Plus, it's presentation looks dingy and cheap.

"Like others better"
That first plus IS a plus for me!!
__________________
Tom in NW Arkansas
——————
”Past performances are no guarantee of future results.” - Why isn't this disclaimer printed in the Daily Racing Form?
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2022, 01:31 PM   #8
VeryOldMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 890
This might be a thread jack, but if they went to zero races a day for zero racing days, would anyone actually MISS Penn National racing after an adaptation period?

I don't mean to pick on Penn National particularly - the race tracks which survive solely because they have to offer horse racing should be released to simply offer casino wagering, in my view. West Virginia tracks fit my profile, as much as I've enjoyed wagering in person at Charles Town and our Mountaineer's expert commentary here.
VeryOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2022, 02:22 PM   #9
BarchCapper
Registered User
 
BarchCapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Clarksville, AR
Posts: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryOldMan View Post
This might be a thread jack, but if they went to zero races a day for zero racing days, would anyone actually MISS Penn National racing after an adaptation period?

I don't mean to pick on Penn National particularly - the race tracks which survive solely because they have to offer horse racing should be released to simply offer casino wagering, in my view. West Virginia tracks fit my profile, as much as I've enjoyed wagering in person at Charles Town and our Mountaineer's expert commentary here.
I would. And I would miss it more if we still lived in the east.

Once dog tracks started closing in the United States, the pace at which they continued closing accelerated rapidly. As of January - they will only exist in West Virginia.

A set of eyes that favorably envisions a scenario where only 10-12 US tracks (the "healthy" ones) exist in the near future will also need to envision zero US tracks in the NEXT-to-near future.
__________________
Tom in NW Arkansas
——————
”Past performances are no guarantee of future results.” - Why isn't this disclaimer printed in the Daily Racing Form?
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2022, 02:26 PM   #10
$w1fT
SaratogaFan1
 
$w1fT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
I would. And I would miss it more if we still lived in the east.

Once dog tracks started closing in the United States, the pace at which they continued closing accelerated rapidly. As of January - they will only exist in West Virginia.

A set of eyes that favorably envisions a scenario where only 10-12 US tracks (the "healthy" ones) exist in the near future will also need to envision zero US tracks in the NEXT-to-near future.
1000%.

LESS tracks is not good for the health of the game.
$w1fT is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2022, 02:30 PM   #11
proximity
Registered User
 
proximity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: pen
Posts: 4,386
they haven't treated the local gambler very well but i still think there is a place for pen and many smaller tracks. there should always be opportunities for people outside of new york and kentucky to be exposed to live racing.

maybe alternate ten week meets with charles town? idk the answer anymore and maybe i never did?
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2022, 02:43 PM   #12
Inner Dirt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Beaverdam Virginia
Posts: 7,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by azeri98 View Post
He's not wrong though. Their racing can't even sustain itself with even less slot revenue. Who wants to bet on 5 and 6 horses fields all day. Not many.

A bunch of 5-6 horse fields works for me if they have rolling pick 3's and I have a lot of singles that don't include the morning line favorite.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Advertisement
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2022 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.