Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
ManU918

Pet Deaths

My third and last living dog that I have had for twelve years passed away today. Is it odd that I have taken my three dog deaths just as bad if not worse then human deaths in my life? I guess for other then Mrs ManU918 who I have been living with for 6 plus years, I have spent more time with him than anyone as of late. Not trying to be a Debbie downer, was just wondering if anyone else feels similar about their animals when they pass or do you just write them off?

Last edited by ManU918; 07-14-2013 at 09:03 PM.
ManU918 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManU918
My third and last living dog that I have had for twelve years passed away today. Is it odd that I have taken my three dog deaths just as bad if not worse then human deaths in my life? I guess for other then Mrs ManU918 who I have been living with for 6 plus years, I have spent more time with him than anyone as of late. Not trying to be a Debbie downer, was just wondering if anyone else feels similar about their animals when they pass or do you just write them off?
Very sorry for your loss. A tough day indeed.

write them off? I lost both parents in the last two years and two cats in the past 12 months. I cried more for the cats than I did my parents. I guess the reason is that they are scared and don't have a clue why they are feeling the way they are, whereas my parents knew what was coming and could express it. When you feel up to it, please save another dog from a shelter. Someone else needs you.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManU918
Been through it many times. We all grieve in different ways. I have 7 tiny urns and such in an extra room that are stored together with some fav dog and cat toys, collars and name tags. I miss every one of them. They were all different and had their own personalities. Just like people......

No shame in your personal grief
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Just write them off? I can't conceive of someone doing that.

When my cat of 15+ years died not too long ago, I was crying like a baby...multiple sessions worth...after we decided to put him down...when he was actually being put down...afterwards...I can't imagine anyone living with a creature capable of looking into your eyes (among all the other great things pets are capable of), for that many years, and not going through a very real grieving process after they are gone...

And I'm very sorry for your loss ManU918...

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 07-14-2013 at 09:27 PM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
RaceBookJoe

I lost my cat 8 months ago and it tore me apart, still does.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
Grits

My little girl, my Yorkie, she goes everywhere I go. She's 12 now, she sleeps a lot more, but still has plenty of sass. I have all ideas that I will be a mess when I lose my little constant companion... If I could just teach her how to drive! My trips to NY get tiring.

I'm so sorry for your loss, ManU. I hope you feel better in time. You have much more to give. Take care.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2013, 10:56 PM   #7
ElKabong

ManU, I'm so sorry for your loss.

I will be a heap of tears when either of my dogs pass on. Dogs are loving to the extent of unconditional love, and that in part is why it's so hard to let go

I'm not a cat person, but I cried a lil bit when a cat I had (inherited from a past girlfriend) died abt 15 yrs ago. Had that cat for 15 and 1/2 yrs...and I don't really like cats...But, animals have a way of grabbing your heart and keeping it
ElKabong is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2013, 11:08 PM   #8
Overlay

The only dog that I've had as an adult was an Australian shepherd/border collie mix that we got for free as a puppy in the Wal-Mart parking lot in Susanville, California around 1997. (I wanted my kids, who were 10 and 6 at the time, to have the same experience with a dog that I had had growing up.) We got along fine until it came time to move from California to Iowa in 1999. The dog drove cross-country with us, but we had to put him up in a kennel while we stayed in a motel during house-hunting. By the time we moved into our house and brought him home, his disposition had changed completely (for the worse). The final straw came when he made an unprovoked attack on my wife. I took him to the local humane society, and I assume he was put down. However, even under the circumstances, I hated to lose him. I just wish things could have turned out differently.
Overlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2013, 11:09 PM   #9
livingthedream2

I had a cat for 12 years that died in 2001. I cried like a baby when she passed. I now have a cat that I have had for 12 years - when she passes I expect to do the same.

Next time I will get a pet that outlives me..because when they pass it is the worst.

Sorry for your loss and understand your pain.
livingthedream2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2013, 11:16 PM   #10
nijinski

Sorry to hear of your loss . it is a pretty long hard process for some .

Took me a good while to get through my pet losses . The last was the hardest too . as I went through a lot when I had her and she had an
incredibly soothing yet spunky spirit . people said she was a big beast
and of course I had named" her" Kelso . LOL .
At my daughters , with her dog at my side right now .
It gets better , but allow the grief , it is to be expected .
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2013, 11:45 PM   #11
elysiantraveller

Its always tough. When we lost the family dog a year ago I was okay knowing it was her time. Right now I have the dog of a lifetime and when I lose this guy I'm going to be a huge mess...

Always take lots of pictures... sadly they last longer than the best friends we can ever have.

Thoughts...

Rainbow Bridge

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 07-14-2013 at 11:48 PM.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2013, 11:51 PM   #12
thaskalos

I never thought I was a pet person -- and certainly not a cat lover -- up until I found a little orange kitten in a dumpster next to my place of business 8 years ago. It is impossible for me to express with words what a difference this little cat has made in my life.

The thought of his eventual demise is too painful for me to even contemplate.

Last edited by thaskalos; 07-14-2013 at 11:55 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2013, 12:27 AM   #13
xtb

Lost my last dog almost 9 months ago and I still get choked up just thinking about her. They leave such big holes when they're gone.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #14
ldiatone

sorry for your loss Man. started w/ 7 cats. 2 are alive. the sad part 4 had to go to the vet to be put down. older fellows. one passed on the way to the vet in the car as my kid was holding him. a little paw print in plaster for all.

and now in Lancaster, CA.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #15
pat

Im so sorry for your loss. When my dog Olympia passed I couldnt go to work for a week. There's nothing better Than having a dog or cat.I now have 3 rescue chihuahas and 1 cat that get along like sisters. I dread the day that they will no longer be with me
pat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: