Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:00 PM   #106
pat

What I do know is coffeee has been 4.50 from the beginning of the meet. And Im sure your getting yours on the arm(and if you dont understand that means free)
pat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2014, 01:09 PM   #107
pat

Furthermore Im on the 2nd floor of Aqu now so why dont you come and explain to me and everyone else what they are doing. So we can d away with the internet blather.
pat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2014, 01:13 PM   #108
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat
Furthermore Im on the 2nd floor of Aqu now so why dont you come and explain to me and everyone else what they are doing. So we can d away with the internet blather.
sorry pat, you don't get answer's from that guy, just underhanded mean insults. its pretty foolish and boring already.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2014, 01:14 PM   #109
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat
What I do know is coffeee has been 4.50 from the beginning of the meet. And Im sure your getting yours on the arm(and if you dont understand that means free)
I don't drink coffee, but I pay for my tea, and I get nothing free.

You're batting 1000. Wrong about everything. Typical.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2014, 01:25 PM   #110
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
sorry pat, you don't get answer's from that guy, just underhanded mean insults. its pretty foolish and boring already.
Funny, I never seem to have to delete posts from Andy because they violate the terms of service here. Yet, cj had to delete a response from pat to TLG that was not only mean, it was vulgar as well...take note of that for the future.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2014, 01:30 PM   #111
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
This is the kind of stuff I just love. You have absolutely no idea what NYRA is or isn't doing about this situation, yet despite seemingly knowing the situation concerning food and Genting, you place the blame squarely on NYRA, while having zero idea what we may be currently doing about this situation.

Typical internet blather. Why care about the truth when you can make something up?
"Doing"...or "THINKING of doing"? Not exactly the same thing...
Old 11-13-2014, 01:41 PM   #112
Track Phantom

Quote:
Typical internet blather. Why care about the truth when you can make something up?
May not happen all that often but I agree with your comment here. I understand that customers have a right to complain about prices or services. But you'd think that someone who takes the time to write on a message board would attempt to point their frustrations in the right area.

The world we leave in today requires an awfully thick skin especially if you're at all in the public eye.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:42 PM   #113
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
"Doing"...or "THINKING of doing"? Not exactly the same thing...
Yes "doing"

What is your point....or did you just feel a need to comment?
Old 11-13-2014, 01:44 PM   #114
drib

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
Doesn't sound like things are getting much better if these numbers are accurate.

http://www.drf.com/news/nyra-no-imme...plans-aqueduct

"It was not mentioned at Wednesday’s board meeting that all-sources handle at the recently concluded Belmont meet was down 9.8 percent, or $32 million, compared with the 2013 Belmont fall meet.

Business has been no better at Aqueduct through the first two weeks of the meet. For the first two weeks of the meet, average daily all-sources handle is $5,774,159, down 22 percent from $7,404,213 through the first two weeks last year. This fall, Aqueduct has run 11 cards, compared with eight through two weeks last year."
I agree with others that NYRA is the most important circuit in US racing, and that is why any decrease in their business is troubling. Looking at the recently concluded Belmont meet, the almost 10% drop in handle was broad, and included October racing days (example 17 of 21 days down). In any normal business, such a drop would be catastrophic, but, in the dysfunctional world of horse racing, who knows if anyone is on top of the situation (other than camouflage work like no longer reporting attendance figures)?
In all fairness, I do think the Aqueduct numbers, using daily average handle, are a bit misleading. This year, the meet started with 8 race cards on Wed/Thurs, while last year, they started on Friday (first day of Breeder's Cup). Just this fact would account for a significant drop in that daily average, especially with a two week old meet.....however, in eyeballing the Aqueduct business on a daily 2014-2013 comparison, it is apparent there is a major loss in handle. Pretty much every comparable day from last year is way up over this year; even yesterday's huge Pick 6 handle only made this year $250k better than last year.
drib is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2014, 01:54 PM   #115
thaskalos

Quote:
Yes "doing"

What is your point....or did you just feel a need to comment?
No point...I just felt the need to comment.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:54 PM   #116
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat
If you are the track, get the hell off the internet and go bet!
Do your part - betting is better than talking.
Lead by example! Bets, not blather!
Old 11-13-2014, 01:56 PM   #117
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
No point...I just felt the need to comment.
I appreciate the honesty
Old 11-13-2014, 02:39 PM   #118
Tall One
Scum Bum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valento
My few cents:

• I think the thing to look at is the average age of horseplayers. I believe we are getting into a zone where dedicated players from the 50's, 60's and even into the 70's are, unfortunately, dying off. Are they being replaced with younger, similarly dedicated players? My guess is not at the rate these players are leaving the game. The most important thing for horse racing is to find a serious audience in the 20-30 year old range.
  • Takeout rate is certainly a factor but not the mortal impact that many say it is. There are millions that throw their money away playing the lottery with an obscene takeout rate. Having said that, I do believe a lower takeout rate would equate to a higher daily handle.
  • As a longtime fantasy football player, I really believe this audience can be appealed to. FF is online, as is horse racing (for the most part). There is strategy and ego involved, just like horse racing. Might be a synergy here.
  • Where is the creativity? The last new wager is the meaningless NY-CA daily double. I don't understand how that is at the least bit intriguing for serious players who can play one or both tracks anyway. 30 years ago, that would have been a huge wager that would have exposed both areas to the other venues. I can't say I love the Rainbow style pick 6 wagers but I give credit to those that came up with it for invigorating the one thing that will draw non-players to the track...BIG JACKPOTS to play into.
  • There are probably 5 things I can think of almost immediately that would enhance the experience for online players (HD, better graphics, displaying all will-pays for horizontal pools as they go, etc.).
There are some serious challenges to change the trajectory of many areas. It will take top leadership and visionaries to unearth new ways to market the game.

The main thing horse racing has going for it is the fact that it is a great game with no real apples to apples competition.

All valid points, Valento; but i'd love life if the bold faced portion would become reality. I'd LOVE being able to spot a possible live play in the horizontals, but xpressbet's idea of this graphic is worse than terrible.
Tall One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #119
drib

Handle Update

Here are today's numbers from Aqueduct:
On Track $724,064 Total $5,056,171 P6 pool was $34k

One year ago same Thursday:
On Track $719,948 Total $6,087,368 There was a P6 carryover so that pool was $287,000.

I realize one day is can be a misleading snapshot, but the data is starting to accumulate that something very unusual is happening to NYRA's handle.
drib is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2014, 05:28 PM   #120
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
Doesn't sound like things are getting much better if these numbers are accurate.

http://www.drf.com/news/nyra-no-imme...plans-aqueduct

"It was not mentioned at Wednesday’s board meeting that all-sources handle at the recently concluded Belmont meet was down 9.8 percent, or $32 million, compared with the 2013 Belmont fall meet.

Business has been no better at Aqueduct through the first two weeks of the meet. For the first two weeks of the meet, average daily all-sources handle is $5,774,159, down 22 percent from $7,404,213 through the first two weeks last year. This fall, Aqueduct has run 11 cards, compared with eight through two weeks last year."
You should have included the next paragraph in your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by from DRF article
Part of Belmont’s handle decline was due to 47 races being taken off the turf due to inclement weather. Kay said there has been talk about putting a synthetic track inside of Belmont’s two turf courses in part to keep fields intact when races are rained off the turf.
When they take 47 races off the turf, how does the handle decline? Do they cancel the races? Is the handle for turf races significantly higher than dirt races?

Last edited by whodoyoulike; 11-13-2014 at 05:33 PM.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply