Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-30-2022, 04:38 PM   #1
FakeNameChanged
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,113
UCLA & USC to the Big Ten

Just heard this on cable news. I'm a big ten follower and like hearing we'll be playing football regularly against these West coast teams. It must involve better $$ is my guess.
__________________
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.
FakeNameChanged is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2022, 04:44 PM   #2
Inner Dirt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Beaverdam Virginia
Posts: 5,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeNameChanged View Post
Just heard this on cable news. I'm a big ten follower and like hearing we'll be playing football regularly against these West coast teams. It must involve better $$ is my guess.

Of course it is all about the $$, traditions and common sense be damned.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2022, 07:02 PM   #3
Marshall Bennett
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Houston , Tx.
Posts: 9,073
Doesn't leave much of a Pac-10. Shades of the Southwest conference.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2022, 07:17 PM   #4
Striker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,984
USC and UCLA vs Maryland, Penn St, and Rutgers should be interesting for the teams dealing with the travel and time zone changes.
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2022, 09:45 PM   #5
zico20
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: st louis
Posts: 2,756
I will start this out by saying I am from Missouri so my two favorite conferences are obviously the Big 12 and the SEC. I am on top of the world with these moves. I expect Oregon and Washington to be added also and then the Big 12 grabs Utah, Colorado, Arizona and Arizona St. and the Pac 12 is finished as a conference. YES!!! Those arrogant elitists on the west coast snubbed their noses at my favorite school, BYU, for decades because BYU is a conservative, religious school.

Eventually Notre Dame is going to have to join a conference and it will be the Big 10. I see the ACC getting raided by the SEC at some point and even the Big 10 maybe grabbing Virginia or North Carolina. The SEC will one day add Clemson, Florida St. and a school from both Virginia and North Carolina, the only two southern states that are not represented in the SEC.

Then the Big 12 will take the leftovers from the ACC, probably Miami, Pittsburgh, NC St. or Virginia Tech if they are still around or Louisville. When it is all said and done I see three 20 team conferences. Maybe I am wrong and the Big 10 and SEC go to 24 apiece, but I doubt it. All the Big 12 haters are eating crow tonight, you know the ones that said the conference is done. No, the Big 12 will live on!
__________________
You will never achieve 100% if 99% is okay!
zico20 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2022, 10:25 PM   #6
46zilzal
velocitician
 
46zilzal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 25,123
dumb move
__________________
"If this world is all about winners, what's for the losers?" Jr. Bonner: "Well somebody's got to hold the horses Ace."
46zilzal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2022, 11:09 PM   #7
JustRalph
Just another Facist
 
JustRalph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Now in Houston
Posts: 49,482
Ohio State will have more than a few worthy opponents in football
__________________
LUKE 22:36
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2022, 01:15 PM   #8
Rutgers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The State of Rutgers
Posts: 304
Rutgers will finally play in the Rose Bowl!!
Rutgers is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2022, 09:42 PM   #9
CheckMark
Conley
 
CheckMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Fergus,ON
Posts: 2,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Ohio State will have more than a few worthy opponents in football
I second that saying

College Football just got more interesting!
__________________
Handicapping the world year round'
CheckMark is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2022, 06:37 AM   #10
zico20
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: st louis
Posts: 2,756
Oregon and Washington just got turned down for the Big 10. Cal and Stanford applied also, they will clearly get rejected. The word is the Big 10 is waiting on Notre Dame to give their answer to join before making any further decisions. The politicians in Oregon and Washington are trying to tie Oregon St. to Oregon and Washington St. to Washington to keep the Pac 12 from disbanding.

All this talk of two 24 team mega conferences is a possibility, but if that was how the Big 10 is approaching it then they would have taken Oregon and Washington right away. They would want at least two more west coast schools as part of their mega conference. So maybe it won't happen.

Notre Dame is going to have to join a conference eventually it seems, and the Big 10 is the obvious one. I love hearing fans say Notre Dame will go the the ACC full time. No they won't. The ACC is going to get raided one day and Notre Dame doesn't want to look foolish by being in a conference they will either quickly leave or is far inferior to the Big 10 and the SEC.
__________________
You will never achieve 100% if 99% is okay!
zico20 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2022, 08:30 AM   #11
Bustin Stones
Registered User
 
Bustin Stones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20 View Post
Oregon and Washington just got turned down for the Big 10. Cal and Stanford applied also, they will clearly get rejected. The word is the Big 10 is waiting on Notre Dame to give their answer to join before making any further decisions. The politicians in Oregon and Washington are trying to tie Oregon St. to Oregon and Washington St. to Washington to keep the Pac 12 from disbanding.

All this talk of two 24 team mega conferences is a possibility, but if that was how the Big 10 is approaching it then they would have taken Oregon and Washington right away. They would want at least two more west coast schools as part of their mega conference. So maybe it won't happen.

Notre Dame is going to have to join a conference eventually it seems, and the Big 10 is the obvious one. I love hearing fans say Notre Dame will go the the ACC full time. No they won't. The ACC is going to get raided one day and Notre Dame doesn't want to look foolish by being in a conference they will either quickly leave or is far inferior to the Big 10 and the SEC.
It feels like that, but ND already takes sizable tv money as an independent. They saw that Penn State hasn't sniffed the playoffs since joining B1G. They probably want to do their due diligence with the networks before deciding on joining the conference. That could take time.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2022, 01:06 PM   #12
zico20
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: st louis
Posts: 2,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Stones View Post
It feels like that, but ND already takes sizable tv money as an independent. They saw that Penn State hasn't sniffed the playoffs since joining B1G. They probably want to do their due diligence with the networks before deciding on joining the conference. That could take time.
Notre Dame gets 15 million from NBC. If they join and Oregon as the other as being bandied around the next TV contract for the Big 10 will be worth at least a billion a year, meaning Notre Dame is going to have a huge payday coming. Money talks, and that is just way too much money to pass up. They already made an invite to them, but like you said it takes time to sort through all the legalities and finer points about how the future will play out as far as scheduling, future expansion, etc.

If this does come to fruition then the Pac 12 is dead when Oregon goes. I doubt it would be 24 hours before the Big 12's phone is ringing off the hook, starting with Utah and the two Arizona schools. I also suspect the Pac 12 will look into some kind of merger but if I am the Big 12 I turn that down and just take four teams. The question would be do you take Washington or Colorado along with the other three. Utah is a no brainer, they would be back with BYU, and the two Arizona schools would have to be a package, it won't be one without the other.

Colorado has sucked for a decade but does have the better geographic location plus they were a past member but Washington is by far the bigger brand name, but the problem is they are on the west coast, it is preferable to stay away from schools in California, Oregon, and Washington due to cultural and political reasons. But Washington may be too good to pass up. Hard call on that one!
__________________
You will never achieve 100% if 99% is okay!
zico20 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2022, 07:12 AM   #13
rastajenk
Just Deplorable
 
rastajenk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lebanon, Ohio
Posts: 7,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgers View Post
Rutgers will finally play in the Rose Bowl!!
Maybe even twice!

That made me chuckle.

I hadn't heard about this until I saw you guys mention it. I found a column on ESPN where a bunch of its reporters and contributors are taking shots at guessing what it all means, from recruiting and scheduling and domino effects and the playoffs and other sports....it's pretty yuge. I'm just conservative and old-fashioned enough that I'm having a hard time seeing the benefits to the overall scene: surely and simply, it's follow the money, but I don't think college football is any more immune to the ebbs and floes of fan interest than any other form of entertainment. If every game reminds a casual viewer of many of the 6-6 bowl games we've been exposed to recently, maybe it just goes flat.

CF has never been truly static, so I guess this is just another step in some direction. I think the regional characteristics of college football is one of the aspects that make it more appealing than homogenized pro sports, and when that goes, I might too.

Here's the link:

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...pacts-cfp-more
rastajenk is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2022, 06:35 PM   #14
Gamblin4ever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20 View Post
I will start this out by saying I am from Missouri so my two favorite conferences are obviously the Big 12 and the SEC. I am on top of the world with these moves. I expect Oregon and Washington to be added also and then the Big 12 grabs Utah, Colorado, Arizona and Arizona St. and the Pac 12 is finished as a conference. YES!!! Those arrogant elitists on the west coast snubbed their noses at my favorite school, BYU, for decades because BYU is a conservative, religious school.

Eventually Notre Dame is going to have to join a conference and it will be the Big 10. I see the ACC getting raided by the SEC at some point and even the Big 10 maybe grabbing Virginia or North Carolina. The SEC will one day add Clemson, Florida St. and a school from both Virginia and North Carolina, the only two southern states that are not represented in the SEC.

Then the Big 12 will take the leftovers from the ACC, probably Miami, Pittsburgh, NC St. or Virginia Tech if they are still around or Louisville. When it is all said and done I see three 20 team conferences. Maybe I am wrong and the Big 10 and SEC go to 24 apiece, but I doubt it. All the Big 12 haters are eating crow tonight, you know the ones that said the conference is done. No, the Big 12 will live on!

I can see Big 12 & rest of Pac 12 merging
Gamblin4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2022, 07:56 PM   #15
zico20
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: st louis
Posts: 2,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamblin4ever View Post
I can see Big 12 & rest of Pac 12 merging
NO WAY!!! That would make a 22 team conference, which is way too many. Plus why would the Big 12 want Oregon St. and Washington St. They offer nothing of value since you would already have a school from those states. U of Cal also brings nothing, their TV viewership is way down.

It has been four days since the news broke, here is what I think will happen. Notre Dame will join the B1G along with Stanford to create an 18 team conference. Stanford is a premier school as far as academics go plus they are in the 6th largest TV market, the Bay area. Their Olympic sports are top notch and their endowment is 38 billion, the next closest is 4 billion. Notre Dame has played Stanford every year for the past 25 years minus the Covid year. It would seem Notre Dame would prefer them.

Word from the B1G is that if a school can't bring in more revenue for the conference than would be split then they won't be invited. Supposedly neither Oregon or Washington would do that according to the numbers presented.

Word also is that USC, on a condition for joining won't allow Oregon to join. The reason being they recruit heavily in the LA area. This week Utah, Colorado, and the two Arizona schools are going to meet with the Big 12 about membership. It will be a done deal, as it is much preferable to be in a super conference of 20 than a 12 team league. Oregon and Washington I believe will be turned away from the B1G and will join the Big 12 and the conference will go to 18 teams. As I said earlier the goal is 20, so taking the scraps from the Pac 12 isn't advisable.

Next, the ACC is doomed at some point. Numerous schools want out to join either the SEC or the B1G. The problem is their media deal doesn't expire to 2036 and the penalty for ditching the conference is losing their entire TV media rights, which would total hundreds of millions.

I can't envision the ACC staying together until 2036 before it falls apart. Somehow lawyers will find a way out for the schools. I see the B1G grabbing Virginia and North Carolina to get to 20 and the SEC grabbing Clemson, Florida St, NC St. and Virginia Tech so they hit 20. Then the Big 12 swoops in and grabs Miami and Pittsburgh to get to 20. Then you have your three super conferences.

It shouldn't take much longer for Notre Dame to make a decision, everything is up in the air until they do, including the B1G new TV deal which starts in 2023. I think we have their answer by the end of the week, but certainly by the end of the month. No way does this drag out for months, it is leaving way to many schools in a precarious position.
__________________
You will never achieve 100% if 99% is okay!
zico20 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Do you use energy percentages?
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2022 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.