Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-21-2022, 06:57 AM   #1
westernmassbob

Saratoga 2022, will gas prices have an effect on track attendance?

With gas prices averaging about 2.00 more per gallon then in 2021 I wonder if this will be a challenge to get those day trippers coming back to the track ?

I ask this because of a conversation I overheard at a local OTB between some older fellows about going to Saratoga this year. They pretty much were in agreement that unless gas prices went down they weren’t going to make the trek this year.

Anyway I love Saratoga so I will be there but maybe NYRA can come up with some type of gas gift card giveaway. It would make a great promotion for a weekday as I suspect those would be the days attendance could drop off because of the gas prices. It seems a company like “ Stewart’s” might be a good business to work with on this one. Just an idea.
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2022, 07:27 AM   #2
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernmassbob View Post
With gas prices averaging about 2.00 more per gallon then in 2021 I wonder if this will be a challenge to get those day trippers coming back to the track ?

I ask this because of a conversation I overheard at a local OTB between some older fellows about going to Saratoga this year. They pretty much were in agreement that unless gas prices went down they weren’t going to make the trek this year.

Anyway I love Saratoga so I will be there but maybe NYRA can come up with some type of gas gift card giveaway. It would make a great promotion for a weekday as I suspect those would be the days attendance could drop off because of the gas prices. It seems a company like “ Stewart’s” might be a good business to work with on this one. Just an idea.
People are spending thousands to stay , eat, gamble at Saratoga...

Gas prices should be the least of their worries...

geroge.burns99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2022, 08:18 AM   #3
Bustin Stones

"should be" is the operative term.
People will cuss about spending an extra $20 on a tank full on their way to dropping $200 at a restaurant or insisting they have to buy the name brand breakfast cereal instead of the generic.
It's a matter of psychology. Gasoline holds a special place.
While it's true that the price of fuel is important to inflating the price of every thing else, it's not so much to do with the family budget as a gasoline purchase.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2022, 08:19 AM   #4
westernmassbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroge.burns99 View Post

Yes of course. This was meant for the day trip crowd that don’t stay overnight. Personally the gas prices won’t keep me away from visiting Toga but obviously it will some. Actually more then you would think. It’s happened before.
Old 06-21-2022, 09:22 AM   #5
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Maybe we should move Saratoga Race Course closer to NYC then?
Old 06-21-2022, 09:40 AM   #6
MooseDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroge.burns99 View Post

A great point!

Honestly curious about the focus on gas prices. I realize a lot of it is political in nature but here's my situation:

~100 mile round trip commute 5x week
drive a 30+ mpg hybrid SUV
Live in CA with among the highest gas prices in the US
don't drive like a maniac but not like an old lady either

I'm not a tech worker with a 6 figure salary and yeah, CA is just about more expensive than anywnere. I track just about every penny and I'm paying about $20/more a week at this point. Seeing those numbers come up on the pump are a little shocking but I'm not having to change my life around it.
MooseDog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2022, 09:45 AM   #7
westernmassbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Maybe we should move Saratoga Race Course closer to NYC then?
Cmon really ? It’s still a 2 hour drive for a lot of day trippers. All I’m saying is hey all NYRA has to do is revisit 2005 and they won’t need a crystal ball to predict a drop off of attendance for this year. They have the info so they can choose how to handle it. Most people don’t realize it’s not about the handle as it is important for the local businesses that need the people coming in.
Old 06-21-2022, 10:05 AM   #8
the little guy

I think we should revisit's Bob's predictions for Saratoga 2001....

Post 1 is a doozy....

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...d.php?t=163149
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2022, 12:16 PM   #9
MonmouthParkJoe

Quote:

About 400 miles round trip for me. I generally get about 40+ miles per gallon, so even at $2 more a gallon figure $15-$20 more per trip.

Definitely would not think twice about it when going up there.

Best place on earth.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2022, 01:25 PM   #10
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonmouthParkJoe View Post
About 400 miles round trip for me. I generally get about 40+ miles per gallon, so even at $2 more a gallon figure $15-$20 more per trip.

Best place on earth.
Old 06-21-2022, 02:24 PM   #11
the little guy

Quote:

Best place on earth.
and here I was hoping if there was one guy....
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2022, 03:33 PM   #12
Suff
Beat up 💪

G Money

Old 06-21-2022, 06:44 PM   #13
alhattab

Quote:

Oil was a topic in the 70s- not so much due to pricing but due to availability. The NY Times ran a piece in January 1974 with the headline "Saratoga Shutdown Is ‘Inconceivable,’ Governor Assures Racing Interests". The piece said, in part "...rumors of possible shutdown had continued. State law provides that upstate action can be transferred to a downstate track in time of emergency, and there was talk of a switch this year because of the energy crisis. Upstate Republicans, whose party controls both houses of the Legislature, have never found that kind of talk acceptable. Governor Wilson issued his position paper to “correct any misconception” that might have developed."

I saw a few other interesting pieces. One was a letter or Op-Ed written in February 1979 with the headline "Saratoga Is Forever, No Matter What the Racing Board Says"- apparently the NYSRWB felt August in Saratoga had a detrimental effect on revenues because downstate players migrated to The Meadowlands (3 years old at the time) with their wagering dollars. TLG maybe you recall this but not sure if you were in Saratoga at this time.

Another one talked about how Saratoga was going to bid on the Hambletonian, to be run at the racecourse, not the harness track, because the Hambletonian Society required the race to be run on a one mile oval (before the Hambo was at The Meadowlands, it was run at DuQuoin at I believe the Illinois State Fair.

And finally there was a travel column written with restaurant recommendations in 1979, and no mention of Mother Goldsmith's or The Country Gentleman (Hatties, and Mrs. London's- of those that remain- where)
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2022, 06:47 PM   #14
alhattab

Quote:

Best place on earth.
40 MPG?! What do you drive?

I made I think 5-6 round trips last year and got there for say 20 cards. All else being equal, no chance I would do same this year.
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2022, 08:32 PM   #15
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhattab View Post
40 MPG?! What do you drive?

I made I think 5-6 round trips last year and got there for say 20 cards. All else being equal, no chance I would do same this year.
Either it's 6 ,5 or 1 trips ...

People shouldn't deny themselves of something special....

We are too old to worry about things we can't control...

Mike

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: