Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-23-2022, 04:40 PM   #8416
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Not very easily.
But nonetheless they can. Ask most ex-smokers. Ask any ex-alcoholics. Drug abusers, etc.

When your parents raised you, did they tell you to trust all strangers no matter what?
Old 05-24-2022, 03:10 AM   #8417
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
But nonetheless they can. Ask most ex-smokers. Ask any ex-alcoholics. Drug abusers, etc.
Alcoholics Anonymous disagrees. There is no such thing as an ex-alcoholic, ex-drug abuser, etc. Once hooked you are hooked for life. This is also the consensus of the medical community. Look it up.
Quote:
When your parents raised you, did they tell you to trust all strangers no matter what?
I don't recall the subject ever coming up.
Old 05-24-2022, 03:25 AM   #8418
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Since Darwin categorically denied there is any plan or purpose to existence, then all life must have come about by pure Chance.
Not so. The mechanism of natural selection is continually eliminating the possibility of some outcomes, i.e., reducing the probability of those outcomes to zero. Also, you should note that Darwin did not address the problem of abiogenesis. He (and Wallace) only addressed speciation.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:41 AM   #8419
boxcar

Quote:
Alcoholics Anonymous disagrees. There is no such thing as an ex-alcoholic, ex-drug abuser, etc. Once hooked you are hooked for life. This is also the consensus of the medical community. Look it up.
I don't recall the subject ever coming up.
Nonsense! I used to be hooked on cancer sticks and maryjane. Haven't touched either in over 40 years.

So you don't recall your upbringing, heh? How convenient. Do you recall how you raised your kids? Did you tell them the world is a safe and sound environment and that it's disrespectful to be skeptical or distrustful of strangers, even if they hand out delicious candy or cookies and offer to give them a a ride in their nice looking car?
Old 05-24-2022, 02:17 PM   #8420
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
So you don't recall your upbringing, heh?
I recall being told that when I got off the bus I was to fill the tractor with butane and plow the north 40. I hated that job.
Old 05-24-2022, 02:20 PM   #8421
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Do you recall how you raised your kids?
What makes you think I have kids?
Old 05-24-2022, 02:23 PM   #8422
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Nonsense! I used to be hooked on cancer sticks and maryjane. Haven't touched either in over 40 years.
Take that up with AA.
Old 05-24-2022, 05:57 PM   #8423
boxcar

Quote:
What makes you think I have kids?
You don't? I seem to recall that you have at least one daughter?
Old 05-24-2022, 06:14 PM   #8424
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
You don't? I seem to recall that you have at least one daughter?
I have more than one. I just don't recall ever mentioning that here. But then I've been posting here for something like 12 years and I can't remember everything.
Old 05-24-2022, 06:22 PM   #8425
boxcar

Quote:
I have more than one. I just don't recall ever mentioning that here. But then I've been posting here for something like 12 years and I can't remember everything.
But I do. I have a very good memory, generally. Just not for names, though.

So...when you raised your daughters did you instruct them to be trusting of everyone with whom they come into contact?
Old 05-24-2022, 06:34 PM   #8426
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
But I do. I have a very good memory ... Just not for names, though.
A symptom of Asperger's Syndrome.
Quote:
So...when you raised your daughters did you instruct them to be trusting of everyone with whom they come into contact?
Your obsession with instructing children is not in keeping with your original thesis that there is a "universal law of distrust." Universal implies no exceptions. But you immediately make exceptions: relatives, people you've investigated. etc.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:40 PM   #8427
boxcar

Quote:
A symptom of Asperger's Syndrome.
Your obsession with instructing children is not in keeping with your original thesis that there is a "universal law of distrust." Universal implies no exceptions. But you immediately make exceptions: relatives, people you've investigated. etc.
You don't understand the Law. The Law does not that we all distrust everyone. The law doesn't say that. Go back and read what I said about this universal principle.

Now, answer my question. Why can't you give me a straight answer? Did you raise your daughters to believe that they should trust all strangers?
Old 05-25-2022, 08:44 AM   #8428
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Now, answer my question. Why can't you give me a straight answer? Did you raise your daughters to believe that they should trust all strangers?
Seriously I concentrated more on teaching them to watch out for cars when crossing the street. The subject of trusting strangers never came up as far as I recall. I think caution around strangers is instinctive. If you don't consider that a straight answer that's just too bad.
Old 05-25-2022, 09:38 AM   #8429
boxcar

Quote:
Seriously I concentrated more on teaching them to watch out for cars when crossing the street. The subject of trusting strangers never came up as far as I recall. I think caution around strangers is instinctive. If you don't consider that a straight answer that's just too bad.
I don't, especially because you said that distrust of strangers is learned behavior. If so, your kids had to learn it from someone.

If you can't see that we live in a dangerous world, then curing what ails your eyesight is beyond my pay grade. The "civilized" world is no different than living in jungle full of wild beasts and other dangerous animals. Maybe with one exception -- the jungle might actually be a safer environment since most animals are pretty predictable. The human species, though, not so much.
Old 05-25-2022, 12:29 PM   #8430
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
I don't, especially because you said that distrust of strangers is learned behavior.
Instinctive behavior is learned behavior. It was learned by your ancestors and you inherit it.
Quote:
If so, your kids had to learn it from someone.
Like fairy tales or TV shows.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: