Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-28-2022, 10:47 PM   #16
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I spent a hefty chunk of my college life split between Wonderland and Suffolk

The blue line trip to Revere and the walk across the Wonderland parking lot is still firmly etched in my brain.

I have a throw back for you. The white buildings under the bridge. Those are Suffolks Downs horse barns.

That little bldg ...That's Beachmont roast beef. It's Under the elevated BEACHMONT station.

It's on the blue line map between Suffolk Downs and Wonderland.
These lands were hard lands.

The barns are gone. All the white buildings were on those lands.

The 10,000 sq foot lot of beachmont roast beef sold last month for $2,000,075.00

https://twitter.com/MABusinessWire/s...yyYDrhnwg&s=19

Old 06-29-2022, 07:33 AM   #17
westernmassbob

Criminal activity was pretty common in Revere.. in 1990 Sarkis and Wonderlands GM, along with 40 others were indicted for running illegal gaming and loan sharking.[/QUOTE]

Did you ever run into Whitey Bulger and or his crew at either venue ? Apparently they liked to play the horses and dogs. I made it to Wonderland once and Suffolk a few times back in the late eighties. This was before my jai alai obsession took place in Hartford and I bet on that for several years before they closed. Been mainly betting horses ever since. Horses were my first interest ever since attending fairs at Northampton and Great Barrington. I remember a lot of nags entered were washed up horses from Suffolk. So much fixing went on and I remember investigations in the 80’s and 90’s. I remember a few jockey names from the fairs they may have run at Suffolk ....Abad Cabassa...Jose Vargas...Mark Slaven and Paul Luce.
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2022, 08:36 AM   #18
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernmassbob View Post
Criminal activity was pretty common in Revere.. in 1990 Sarkis and Wonderlands GM, along with 40 others were indicted for running illegal gaming and loan sharking.

Did you ever run into Whitey Bulger and or his crew at either venue ? Apparently they liked to play the horses and dogs. I made it to Wonderland once and Suffolk a few times back in the late eighties. This was before my jai alai obsession took place in Hartford and I bet on that for several years before they closed. Been mainly betting horses ever since. Horses were my first interest ever since attending fairs at Northampton and Great Barrington. I remember a lot of nags entered were washed up horses from Suffolk. So much fixing went on and I remember investigations in the 80’s and 90’s. I remember a few jockey names from the fairs they may have run at Suffolk ....Abad Cabassa...Jose Vargas...Mark Slaven and Paul Luce.[/QUOTE]you missed a few guys like the leading all time rider in the fairs, Donny Meade. Baba Wilson, Carol Skawinski, Vernon Bush and Ed Paucar both still riding in Ohio these days and Frank Amonte, he rode horses into his late 70's and drove a bus for public transportation during the day.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2022, 09:32 AM   #19
king kong

Mass. fairs

Tommy Maeda and Carlos Figoura the jockey and trainer were the leaders.
king kong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2022, 10:23 AM   #20
sharkey11

any one rember 10grand teddy . how about meades bar behind suffok . and the paddock lounge in somerville ?
sharkey11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2022, 10:52 AM   #21
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkey11 View Post
any one rember 10grand teddy . how about meades bar behind suffok . and the paddock lounge in somerville ?

I spent chunk of life ( regrettably) in the area
And knew jimmy wakely. He's passed .

I'd go so far as to call him the last boss of winterhill.

I lived behind Drake's Cafe @ 509 Medford street down the street from the paddock lounge.

I bet horses & dogs with Eddie McDermott, the bar bookie. I tried to bet a Bruins game and he informed me that he is only allowed to take horses and dogs "per Jimmy". That's when I knew.

Eddie's dead as well, him and I were daily. I knock on my bathroom wall , he'd knock back. He was robbed once, also shot in the head. Bullet grazed him, 2 or 3 days later he's back at the bar with bandages and a kneck brace. taking bets. $6700 cash taken. Late 80's.
The stories intended to be charmingly humorous.

Last edited by Suff; 06-29-2022 at 10:55 AM.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2022, 11:50 AM   #22
Suff
Beat up 💪

Race Fixing

I think people would be surprised and stunned at the money.

Limited individuals cut up a million dollars a month in 1978. The feds seized 1.5 million at arrests. This was a 20 million dollar enterprise involving nearly every track in the northeast

If you think these guys fixed races at Suffolk and hit $10,000 superfectas, you'd be way off.

This operation had a national network of the big gambling houses from Miami to Las Vegas. They bet all over the country, rarely if ever at the tracks.

It's shocking how organized they were..
Old 06-29-2022, 12:05 PM   #23
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
People tend to focus on show betting, but just a handful of years ago there were still profitable opportunities in the place pool. They more or less evaporated when the industry switched the place and show price calculations to Net Pool Pricing. That effectively lowered the price to place on short priced horses by about 10 cents.
Ironically net pool pricing is what makes place and show betting very profitable for me. I'm never intentionally on the shorter priced horses.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2022, 12:26 PM   #24
sharkey11

ya suff i knew a few guys in that lounge . some i at the time wouldnt want to have had i known just who they were . world jai alai tell you anything
Old 06-29-2022, 12:43 PM   #25
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkey11 View Post
ya suff i knew a few guys in that lounge . some i at the time wouldnt want to have had i known just who they were . world jai alai tell you anything
Nice to meet and connect. I carry a lot regrets in this part of my life. I occasionally daydream of a Do-over.

But short of that, I use it casually to reminisce. Peace ✌️ brother.

Last edited by Suff; 06-29-2022 at 12:47 PM.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2022, 02:26 PM   #26
sharkey11

im in the same boat as it were suff but like you i do the same . and i believe we have talked in the past on here . no ill will ever intended peace and happyness in our old age
Old 06-29-2022, 03:29 PM   #27
jimmyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff View Post
Nice to meet and connect. I carry a lot regrets in this part of my life. I occasionally daydream of a Do-over.

But short of that, I use it casually to reminisce. Peace ✌️ brother.

I was friendly with the ex wife of a criminal defense attorney who represented some of Bostons high profile clients. Maybe some of the same people you were familiar back in the day. She told me about victory parties at her home.

He represented Buddy Cianci as well..
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: