Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 06-24-2022, 12:55 PM   #1
CheckMark

1st Time Saratoga Trip Questions

This year my parents (including my brother) will be heading off to Saratoga in July from the 23rd to the 24th and we are getting tickets from a friend but there are still a few questions that I need to answer/ask before we go I appreciate it very much if someone can answer these questions! Super excited to go and if you are going on that day please let me know I would love to meet you there on Saturday!

1) I know that there is accessible parking for Handicapped/Disabled people around the area (my Dad has Parkinson's and has bad gait issues now so he cannot walk far without his walker) so which parking lot would you suggest and is there a trolly or some ride service that can directly lead to the gate(s)? And would it be better to leave the car at the hotel or drive and park in a parking lot?

2) Is there any good food options at Saratoga? And if so which ones would you recommend?

3) For handicapping information, I see numerous locations around the track, but what do they sell besides the Daily Racing Form and Post Parade programs? And prices? And is there anywhere else I can get info from (ex Thorograph inside near a booth like Belmont)

4) I know I will be making my own handicapping selections but just for fun I wanted to pick up a few tipsheets along the way before heading in so is that still a thing for "hawking" tipsheets or is that just the PinkSheet now? If so then how many tipsheet people are there?

5) I see that there are binocular rentals how much are they to rent and is it worth paying to use them or just bring my own from home?

THANK YOU very much to everyone who replies to this!
Old 06-24-2022, 03:22 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I believe there is Hdcp parking right across the street from the main entrance, by some barns. Quick walk across the intersection and then benches all around (unless that changed during Covid?) Maybe you could hire an Uber?

You will be deluged with selections and such as you walk in.

Try the Manhattan Clam Chowder, lower level grandstand, close to the finish line. The Nathans Hot Dogs are great. And try the spring water....you won't regret it.

Now, going by several year old info since I was there last.

But get there early and find a spot.

You will love it, no place on Earth better in the summer.
Old 06-24-2022, 03:28 PM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

See old thread...
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...=nelson+avenue

Post 19 has a great spot for breakfast, right at the 7 furlong chute, horses walking down the street, real ambiance.
Old 06-24-2022, 05:25 PM   #4
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I believe there is Hdcp parking right across the street from the main entrance, by some barns. Quick walk across the intersection and then benches all around (unless that changed during Covid?) Maybe you could hire an Uber?

You will be deluged with selections and such as you walk in.

Try the Manhattan Clam Chowder, lower level grandstand, close to the finish line. The Nathans Hot Dogs are great. And try the spring water....you won't regret it.

Now, going by several year old info since I was there last.

But get there early and find a spot.

You will love it, no place on Earth better in the summer.
Awesome stuff Tom! Thank you sir!
Old 06-24-2022, 05:43 PM   #5
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Consider taking a wheelchair for dad. It’s hot, it’s exciting etc. He may run out of gas earlier than anticipated. Skip the walker
Old 06-24-2022, 05:54 PM   #6
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Consider taking a wheelchair for dad. It’s hot, it’s exciting etc. He may run out of gas earlier than anticipated. Skip the walker
I was thinking that but did not know how well the ground level(s) were at Saratoga with the wheelchair (bumpy, flat etc) but thanks for the suggestion!
Old 06-24-2022, 06:35 PM   #7
MJC922

It can be a very long day if not done right. Finding a free bench to sit on last year wasn't easy for myself and my sons. Once you get way down there at the top of the stretch the grandstand has some benches around the escalators and as long as you don't mind sitting on a coating of soot it's all yours for the taking. Handicapping on opening day was a challenge, off the turf, back on, off the turf back on, wth. Heavy cigar smokers outside by rail. Concessions are a bleed out but that's to be expected. $6 bottle of water. lol

Years ago I went with my aunt and uncle in the 80s and they did it right. We had the breakfast, did the tour, had a hotel close by, had reserved seats etc... it's a great experience if you have the money and do it right. It's like Disney, there are ways to do it right but it may take you some time to figure it out. However if you just roll in like I have the past few times I'd have been much better off at the Teletheater in Albany. Is that still around? I was considering it, or maybe Presque Isle.
Old 06-24-2022, 09:37 PM   #8
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
It can be a very long day if not done right.

it's a great experience if you have the money and do it right. It's like Disney, there are ways to do it right but it may take you some time to figure it oute.
You nailed it.. 👏.

Saratogas not the place for walkers or wheelchairs. If unavoidable, the gates open at 11. Be there, get situated near a toilet and don't plan on moving. Leave after the 6th race.

You probably need to alter your expectations or preconceived notions.

To the best of your ability go with it. If everybody sees the paddock, winners circle, backyard and the Oklahoma you'll be talking about the trip for the rest of your life.

Just hit those 4 spots
Old 06-24-2022, 10:55 PM   #9
Suff
Beat up 💪

Visual Aids

Old 06-24-2022, 11:50 PM   #10
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff View Post

That’s great photos! Thank you Suff! Will you be there the days I am going or anyone? Would love to meet
Old 06-25-2022, 05:30 AM   #11
OverlayHunter

We were at SAR towards the end of the meet last year. There's very well located handicap parking located a little past the track entry gates on the track road that runs west off of Union. (Someone on this site can better describe the location of the road but I believe it is the main entry for trackside parking. The left-most entry gate to the track itself accommodates the handicapped. We used a wheelchair. The latest I would get to the handicap parking is 10 AM. All things considered, it's a relatively small lot. BTW, the staff who worked that lot could not have been nicer.
OverlayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2022, 08:56 AM   #12
Robert Fischer
clean money

Nice!
Hope you and your father and fam have a lot fun CheckMark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMark View Post

5) I see that there are binocular rentals how much are they to rent and is it worth paying to use them or just bring my own from home?
I don't know. I've rented Binoculars at Belmont and it was a good experience, years ago.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:38 AM   #13
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlayHunter View Post
We were at SAR towards the end of the meet last year. There's very well located handicap parking located a little past the track entry gates on the track road that runs west off of Union. (Someone on this site can better describe the location of the road but I believe it is the main entry for trackside parking. The left-most entry gate to the track itself accommodates the handicapped. We used a wheelchair. The latest I would get to the handicap parking is 10 AM. All things considered, it's a relatively small lot. BTW, the staff who worked that lot could not have been nicer.
Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
Nice!
Hope you and your father and fam have a lot fun CheckMark.

I don't know. I've rented Binoculars at Belmont and it was a good experience, years ago.
Thanks, Robert! Thanks for the info on binocs I would like to either bring my own or at least see how much they are for the day we will see
Old 06-28-2022, 09:55 AM   #14
1st time lasix

Thumbs up

In Saratoga…. Morning workouts in box seats at dawn with a coffee and binoculars … backside barn tour….viewing entries in the paddock…. The winners circle…. The art/hat booths near main entrance Visit both the National horse racing musiem across the street and the Spa hall of fame exhibition on site…. . Experience Hatties Chicken….Sperrys… bar at 9 Maple… Marino pizza….Siro’s…….stroll on Broadway to see the racing art in the studios.… Oklahoma track….Five points…..Parting Glass during Serling radio show…. Performing Arts Center. Etc etc. I sincerely hope you get good weather and get lucky at the windows too! Have a memorable trip.
1st time lasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2022, 12:36 PM   #15
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st time lasix View Post
In Saratoga…. Morning workouts in box seats at dawn with a coffee and binoculars … backside barn tour….viewing entries in the paddock…. The winners circle…. The art/hat booths near main entrance Visit both the National horse racing musiem across the street and the Spa hall of fame exhibition on site…. . Experience Hatties Chicken….Sperrys… bar at 9 Maple… Marino pizza….Siro’s…….stroll on Broadway to see the racing art in the studios.… Oklahoma track….Five points…..Parting Glass during Serling radio show…. Performing Arts Center. Etc etc. I sincerely hope you get good weather and get lucky at the windows too! Have a memorable trip.

Thank you sir for the suggestions and comments! Yes, hopefully we get clear skies, and money flies while we are at Toga!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: