Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-06-2022, 04:26 PM   #76
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhorseplayer View Post
I have been through Virginia , use to do east coast all the time, would run from chicago land/michigan to south east or south central MS,LA,AL got tired of all the traffic and no where to park. running west from chicago land, not many metro to go through and once you get past amarillo there is parking everywhere. Yes the job is more challenging then ever and these idiots want to sue you for anything when it is clearly their fault. They did a study when there was no cars on road during the early covid shutdown and guess what very limited accidents, that proves whos fault most these accidents involving trucks is. i drive for owner of this truck and run it like its mine. Yes I will keep truckin, its a love hate relationship lol its good to be gone from home for some time usually 3 or 4 weeks then home for entire week at a time, it keeps the relationship good to have needed space lol, but at times you just want to shut it down and go home lol then while home you get that feeling like the road is calling you back lol.

I drove cross country a half dozen times during a slow move East. Mention Amarillo and I just think of a few pints of rattlesnake ale at the Big Texan Steak House. On the further North trip highway robbery on I-70 in Pennsylvania. I though I was getting shaken down bad just towing a two axle trailer.

Not sure how long you have been driving, but I think trucking is one of those professions, like mine of being a machinist that has been hit with severe wage stagnation. I had a friend making the same 30 years ago, what they advertise
making today in those trucking school ads. I have been self employed for almost 30 years, but what I made punching a clock is still considered decent money today.

Probably being a machinist I remember numbers easily, in 1980 my girlfriend's mother was infatuated with big rigs and truckers. She actually got all excited when she heard a Jake Brake. She was dating a trucker who had a SoCal to AZ hay run, that was about 10-12 hours, doing it 3x a week. He just left the trailers so he did not have to wait for an unload.
She would always brag that he made $600 a week and I should learn to drive. He was driving someone else's truck, no expenses for him. I had already a trashed back from a weightlifting accident. I did one ride along and realized it wasn't for me.

Put that $600 in an inflation calculator $2093 a week, for 30 hours or so work.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 05-06-2022 at 04:34 PM.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2022, 11:28 PM   #77
mrhorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I drove cross country a half dozen times during a slow move East. Mention Amarillo and I just think of a few pints of rattlesnake ale at the Big Texan Steak House. On the further North trip highway robbery on I-70 in Pennsylvania. I though I was getting shaken down bad just towing a two axle trailer.

Not sure how long you have been driving, but I think trucking is one of those professions, like mine of being a machinist that has been hit with severe wage stagnation. I had a friend making the same 30 years ago, what they advertise
making today in those trucking school ads. I have been self employed for almost 30 years, but what I made punching a clock is still considered decent money today.

Probably being a machinist I remember numbers easily, in 1980 my girlfriend's mother was infatuated with big rigs and truckers. She actually got all excited when she heard a Jake Brake. She was dating a trucker who had a SoCal to AZ hay run, that was about 10-12 hours, doing it 3x a week. He just left the trailers so he did not have to wait for an unload.
She would always brag that he made $600 a week and I should learn to drive. He was driving someone else's truck, no expenses for him. I had already a trashed back from a weightlifting accident. I did one ride along and realized it wasn't for me.

Put that $600 in an inflation calculator $2093 a week, for 30 hours or so work.

I eat at the big texan steak house sometimes they have some good steak, and now they have several in house brewed beers and commemorative bottles like the Clyde its gallon and the Bonnie its a 1/2 gallon lol.

Some of those states sure like to pull you in to the coop (scales) and lots make you bring your paperwork in , last year in illinois dot pulled me over just before the coop and it was closed told me pull on around the back going to do a level 2 inspection, well he said I had an air leak but the traffic was so loud he could hear were it was coming from , yea that means he made it up , blow by them lots of times lol because how the dot has become.

it is wage stagnation, not much better then that now and for people just getting out of those trucking schools dont know how they are surviving.
lol I really like putting on the jakes especially when there is a sign that says no jake brake or no jake brakes between certain hours well it automatically comes on in my rig when there is one of those signs lol.

got a load out of az near tucsan going to somewere near nashville tn. deliver on monday morning will add up the gallons of fuel and how much it cost to get there. I seen were diesel is over $6 a gallon in some east coast and west coast truck stops.
mrhorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2022, 11:30 PM   #78
mrhorseplayer

I just went by the big texan steak house today lol
Old 05-07-2022, 12:44 PM   #79
Inner Dirt

Quote:
I just went by the big texan steak house today lol

Last time I went through Amarillo there was an oil drilling boom heading east I forgot how many small towns were all booked up. I think it was about 2012.
I was burning the candle at both ends on a cross country move. I made multiple trips setting up my new machine shop, trying to keep from being closed for too long at a time. Rising at 3am the previous day with a 10pm steak and a couple pints I was ready to call it a night. I can't sleep in vehicles, I ended up somewhere down the road in a motel 6 past midnight.
I hate motel 6. Those oil boom towns were a trip, they were in no man's land and were busy as can be at midnight.
Old 05-09-2022, 01:28 PM   #80
mrhorseplayer

made it to reciever unloaded this morning and got load going right back to phoenix. Had about half a tank and fueled up before I left tonopah az have about 3/4 tank now while getting loaded in dickson tn . The highest price for fuel was 5.65 g in Gila bend az cheapest was 5.49 g in Checotah ok. total g this trip 365.033 cost $2046.98 not to mention the cost of the bs def, going to get that deleted off my truck in near future.
Old 05-09-2022, 05:28 PM   #81
Inner Dirt

Quote:
made it to reciever unloaded this morning and got load going right back to phoenix. Had about half a tank and fueled up before I left tonopah az have about 3/4 tank now while getting loaded in dickson tn . The highest price for fuel was 5.65 g in Gila bend az cheapest was 5.49 g in Checotah ok. total g this trip 365.033 cost $2046.98 not to mention the cost of the bs def, going to get that deleted off my truck in near future.

I still got you beat for inflation on a business expense. I just got a quote for some stainless rounds 250# @ $6.75 per pound, was paying around $2.50 before Biden took office. Regular gas and aluminum were running neck and neck here when I last bought aluminum a month or so ago. Today's 100# aluminum price was $4.70 per pound, gas $4.25 for regular. As with stainless aluminum was around $2.50 when Biden took office. I seem to need a lot of things that didn't qualify from the 8% annual inflation the White House talks about. LET"S GO BRANDON!!!
Old 05-09-2022, 07:45 PM   #82
mrhorseplayer

that trip was 1858 total miles.
Old 05-09-2022, 07:46 PM   #83
mrhorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I still got you beat for inflation on a business expense. I just got a quote for some stainless rounds 250# @ $6.75 per pound, was paying around $2.50 before Biden took office. Regular gas and aluminum were running neck and neck here when I last bought aluminum a month or so ago. Today's 100# aluminum price was $4.70 per pound, gas $4.25 for regular. As with stainless aluminum was around $2.50 when Biden took office. I seem to need a lot of things that didn't qualify from the 8% annual inflation the White House talks about. LET"S GO BRANDON!!!

cant believe how bad it is right now when just not to long ago the USA was doing great.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:33 PM   #84
Inner Dirt

Quote:
cant believe how bad it is right now when just not to long ago the USA was doing great.

Hopefully you are always hauling necessities, so you will be ok. Most of my customers these days are hobby oriented, and the one non hobby customer I do work for, which supplies heart doctors is in a slump. If this runaway inflation keeps up people will cut down on their spending on hobbies, and anyone serving those industries will take a big hit.

Let's go Brandon!!!
Old 05-11-2022, 06:33 PM   #85
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Remember when AAA said $4.37 was an all-time high for gas? A day later it is now $4.40. Below is a picture of what a service member will pay on base.

Well done twits, you own putting this POS in office. FJB and you!!!!!
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2022, 06:41 PM   #86
mrhorseplayer

delivered load in phoenix today with half tank of fuel left and didnt fuel up yet. total fuel cost 1798.15. Have to take a 34hr reset in phoenix then get load back to chicago land on friday
Old 05-27-2022, 02:24 AM   #87
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Worse

The real number is now -1.5
Old 05-27-2022, 03:33 AM   #88
OntheRail

Quote:
Come on man... thing are great. No more mean tweets against the media. No more brash talking about border security, energy independents, booming employment, middle east peace deals, ending US involvements in foreign wars or how great your 401k was doing or the growing middle class.

All the nonsense stop with the Joe Briben Administration.

Old 05-27-2022, 06:27 AM   #89
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Oh yeah; all that 'winning' was getting tiresome.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-27-2022, 06:47 AM   #90
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
Oh yeah; all that 'winning' was getting tiresome.
"Apparently" 81 million people thought so. They gave up prosperity to get a gentler and kinder voice.
They got neither .
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply