Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-01-2019, 10:17 AM   #1
SG4

Del Mar newbie

Hoping to get myself to Del Mar for a weekend this summer, can I get some tips from those who've been there before? Best places to stay, eat, non-racing things to do etc? Only have 2 days so hoping to pack in as much as possible, thanks
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2019, 04:57 PM   #2
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
Hoping to get myself to Del Mar for a weekend this summer, can I get some tips from those who've been there before? Best places to stay, eat, non-racing things to do etc? Only have 2 days so hoping to pack in as much as possible, thanks
Opening weekend or not?

Roughly speaking, your hotel/lodging budget?

I can share a bunch knowing that.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2019, 12:48 AM   #3
SG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Opening weekend or not?

Roughly speaking, your hotel/lodging budget?

I can share a bunch knowing that.

First weekend in August. My budget? Let's see how Derby day goes first. j/k - I don't need a fancy place to stay, but someplace respectable & well located would be main desires
Old 05-02-2019, 12:27 PM   #4
elhelmete

Quote:
First weekend in August. My budget? Let's see how Derby day goes first. j/k - I don't need a fancy place to stay, but someplace respectable & well located would be main desires
I've been going down for 2, sometimes 3 weekends a year since about 2012. The lodging landscape has morphed a bit in that span.
Some hotels will require a 2 sometimes even 3 night minimum.
I would not wait much longer to book.
The Hilton is the most convenient (walkable) and is a perfectly nice place. You might be in the $300s a night at this point.
The Holiday Inn and Courtyard up on Hwy 101 are also perfectly nice properties, not as resort-y as the Hilton, but totally fine for a weekend visit to the track. I'd check very soon on availability.
Off-season we've been at the Indigo which would also be just fine. It's sort of a refurbished mid-century motel with a cool factor.

I did AirBnBs for a few years and got some amazing deals, like trackside and/or beach view for under $100/night. Then it seemed like around 2 or 3 years ago those deal disappeared and the rates and minimum nights got ridiculous.
There are cheap options north of Del Mar on the 5 (like perfectly clean but basic Motel 6s).
If you're flush, are traveling with the missus, there's a very nice inn just inland in RSF, 'The Inn at RSF'. Or L'Auberge right there in Del Mar (good luck getting in, but who knows.)

Pre-races (post time is at 2, Fridays I think at 3) I love a run or swim on the beaches north of Solana Beach up toward Encinitas. Then breakfast at a place like Claire's (crowded), Naked Cafe, or something lighter walking around Cedros Ave. Torrey Pines has some awesome easy hikes.
Apres races, the restaurants and nightlife abound. Wife and I usually like dinner in one place and a nightcap in another. All are a very short uber from the track/hotels, some walkable.
Dinner joints we've enjoyed: Pacifica, Jake's, Market, Dolce Pan et Vino. The classic places are fine too: Red Tracton's, The Brigantine. Kinda iconic.
The strip mall near the Courtyard and Holiday Inn has an amazing Thai food joint and a very good sammich place. Tony's Jacal is supposed to have very good Mexican, but have regrettably not made it there.
Out in RSF there's a very romantic French joint, Mille Fleur.

Nightcap joints: Jimmy O's (fun dive), Il Fornaio wine bar deck, and a new brewery out on the lagoon right across from the track. Really any restaurant will usually have a good bar.
Encinitas has a ton of stuff too, too much to list. That's close, but not walkable.
Liberty Tobacco (on the other side of the 5) is a great place to have a cigar, and they usually have sports and TVG on.
More later...LMK if you have specific questions.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2019, 11:57 PM   #5
GMB@BP

Jake's Del Mar
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2019, 12:38 AM   #6
Afleet

you dont want to go to commiefornia
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2019, 12:24 AM   #7
SG4

Thanks for all the info, good stuff
Old 08-14-2019, 08:48 AM   #8
SG4

I ended up coming home with 2 clubhouse passes good til the end of the meet, private message me if anyone's interested & hopefully I can mail them out while still useful.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:29 PM   #9
GBL

Quote:
Expect to pay $14 for beer.

Last edited by GBL; 08-14-2019 at 12:30 PM. Reason: type
GBL is offline   Reply With Quote Reply