Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 12-26-2018, 09:55 AM   #1
GBL

Gulfstream Park Starting Gate Placement Question

I am trying to get this right.

Gulfstream Park
12/26/2017 Race 10
Distance 1m
Run-Up 220'
Rail at 120'

Rail at 120' means increase of 754' in circumference so now the circumference of the track became 9f and 94'.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...gp-on-12-26-17

Question: How GP managed to place the starting gate before the finish line and made horses go one full loop? After adjusting 220' run-up, 534' still unaccounted for. The timer is not an issue but the placement of starting gate is something I can't figure out. Can anyone explain?

Thanks in advance.
GBL is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-26-2018, 10:20 AM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBL View Post
I am trying to get this right.

Gulfstream Park
12/26/2017 Race 10
Distance 1m
Run-Up 220'
Rail at 120'

Rail at 120' means increase of 754' in circumference so now the circumference of the track became 9f and 94'.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...gp-on-12-26-17

Question: How GP managed to place the starting gate before the finish line and made horses go one full loop? After adjusting 220' run-up, 534' still unaccounted for. The timer is not an issue but the placement of starting gate is something I can't figure out. Can anyone explain?

Thanks in advance.

The turf track, if memory serves, is about 7.25 furlongs. Also, the track (no track) is a circle so you can't calculate the added distance using the circumference formula. You need to know the distance of the turns. The temp rail makes no difference on the straight parts of the course.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-26-2018, 11:13 AM   #3
GBL

Thanks for the reply cj.

The GP turf course is 1m in circumference (using this term loosely here) with 1398' arc length of each turn. Understood about straight being constant, however, if the rail is move out 120' it will add 377' extra to each turn's arc length. So 2 x 377 = 754' more distance when the rail is moved out 120'.

Additionally, the circumference of the track is the sum of two straights (constant) and two bends (variable, depending on temporary rail positions). In other words, think race track oval configuration as rectangle in the center with one semicircle on each side. The rail out will increase the diameter of the semicircle thus adding more distance to the arc lengths of semicircles but there will be no change in straights' values.

Last edited by GBL; 12-26-2018 at 11:23 AM. Reason: type
Old 12-26-2018, 11:45 AM   #4
GBL

Thanks everyone!

Never mind the question. I think I figured it out.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:30 PM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I'm glad you figured it out, but I can assure you the turf course is not one mile when there is no temp rail.

Here is a replay of a mile race with the rail at 0 and run up listed at 32 feet. Note how long it takes the horses to reach the finish line. If the course were a mile, they'd hit the finish line 32 feet in front of the gate.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:15 PM   #6
GBL

Appreciate the link, cj. That link was beautiful ....

You are absolutely correct. With "true" no rail, roughly the circumference will be around 7.38f. For it to be one-mile in circumference the rail must be placed at 65' if I consider the width of the course to be 170'.

I got my first clue when read in Wiki:

"The turf course is one mile in circumference; depending on the race day, the portable rail can be moved to the inside or outside of the course ..."

The point to ponder was subtle but the fact that the rail could be moved "inside" put me to the right track and after some pre- and post-2005 track renovations digging it became clearer that one-mile circumference is not measured at 0', rather 65'.

Thanks again for the video and your feedback.

Last edited by GBL; 12-28-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:56 PM   #7
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I'm glad you figured it out, but I can assure you the turf course is not one mile when there is no temp rail.

Here is a replay of a mile race with the rail at 0 and run up listed at 32 feet. Note how long it takes the horses to reach the finish line. If the course were a mile, they'd hit the finish line 32 feet in front of the gate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_agikEDn4E
I know I've paid my appreciation and thanks to you for your work before, I'd like to do so again. It's a lot more effort than people realize. Today's last race at GP was a piece of work. Your turf figs never cease to amaze.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-28-2018, 08:54 PM   #8
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
I know I've paid my appreciation and thanks to you for your work before, I'd like to do so again. It's a lot more effort than people realize. Today's last race at GP was a piece of work. Your turf figs never cease to amaze.
Thanks, in the end that is what it is all about. This one worked out very well.