Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library

Old 02-16-2016, 01:30 PM   #1
Cholly

Pittsburg Phil

I have a reprinted copy of "Racing Maxims of Pittsburg Phil"...very good condition, paper-bound with plastic-wire coil binding.

Free & postage paid to first person sending me a PM with promise to make $25 donation to Old Friends Thoroughbred Retirement Farm.
Cholly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2016, 02:08 PM   #2
delayjf

PM sent
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2016, 06:25 PM   #3
Cholly

The book is taken, but I'd like to encourage others to join delayjf & myself in making a $25 donation to Old Friends Farm. Even a cold-blooded gambler like Pittsburg Phil would have joined in on this cause; trust me, this one's a sure thing.:

http://www.oldfriendsequine.org/how-to-help.html

or

Old Friends Farm
1841 Paynes Depot Road
Georgetown, KY 40324
Old 02-16-2016, 07:33 PM   #4
green80

Best handicapping book ever written, in my opinion. Over 100 years old and 90% is still good advice today.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2016, 08:19 AM   #5
RaceBookJoe

great book. I have a beat up version of what I think is an original print..not sure though. Size-wise, the paper is smaller than a normal book...maybe 3.5 x 5 ?
Old 02-17-2016, 11:11 AM   #6
delayjf

Cholly
Per our agreement - best thing I will do all day. Thank you for the motivation. I encourage all to join me - the karma feels great.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old Friends Donation.jpg (105.0 KB, 179 views)

Last edited by delayjf; 02-17-2016 at 11:13 AM.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2016, 03:36 PM   #7
Cholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by delayjf
Cholly
Per our agreement - best thing I will do all day. Thank you for the motivation. I encourage all to join me - the karma feels great.
good on you, mate!
Old 02-18-2016, 05:16 PM   #8
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Phil's is the only racing book I have ever read from cover to cover, and I did that several times before I ever bet a dime on horses!

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2016, 01:42 PM   #9
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cholly
I have a reprinted copy of "Racing Maxims of Pittsburg Phil"...very good condition, paper-bound with plastic-wire coil binding.

Free & postage paid to first person sending me a PM with promise to make $25 donation to Old Friends Thoroughbred Retirement Farm.
Just a thought...

This book is now in the public domain. You could write a new forward to the book and still use Pittsburgh Phil's original text and then sell it and give the proceeds to OTRF.

I'm sure a lot of handicappers would buy the book knowing that the money will go to a good cause.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2016, 02:34 PM   #10
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

What do you mean by "in the public domain"? It became "in the public domain" as soon as it was published and distributed, right? In other words, you're saying that copyright law does not apply in the case of this book? In other words, you're saying that no permission from anyone is needed to copy the original work, verbatim, along with a forward? I'm no copyright lawyer, but somehow I don't see that as being legal.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2016, 02:38 PM   #11
Delta Cone

Here's most of the book:

http://colinsghost.org/2010/05/racin...phil-1908.html

And some info on how it might be in the public domain:

http://copyright.cornell.edu/resources/publicdomain.cfm
Delta Cone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2016, 02:45 PM   #12
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
What do you mean by "in the public domain"? It became "in the public domain" as soon as it was published and distributed, right?
That is one definition of public domain. The definition I am using is that the original text is no longer afforded copyright protection.

You can't just take a recently published version that has original material added to it -- like a forward. But you can take the original text and add some original material to it and then publish it without having to worry about being in violation of the copyright. Then you can sell the book and keep the proceeds.

Quote:
In other words, you're saying that copyright law does not apply in the case of this book? In other words, you're saying that no permission from anyone is needed to copy the original work, verbatim, along with a forward? I'm no copyright lawyer, but somehow I don't see that as being legal.
You can copy the original book and sell it. If there is newer, original copyrighted material in the book, you cannot copy that new, original copyrightable material without permission.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: