Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-17-2015, 05:18 PM   #1
Stillriledup
Veteran

Fresh Gelding Tap that Word at Sam Houston.

Caleb on TVG saying its a fresh gelding, DRF reported he was gelded 3 days ago, is this accurate?
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2015, 05:32 PM   #2
Delawaretrainer

Maybe they are saying it was "reported " 3 days ago, probably when they entered. Most likely has been gelded since his last race.
Delawaretrainer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2015, 06:27 PM   #3
Stillriledup
Veteran

My "beef" is that if the horse wasn't actually gelded on Feb 14th, how can we be sure ANY of it is true. How do you know what to trust?

can a horse be gelded and come back and race within 17 days?
Old 02-17-2015, 07:30 PM   #4
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
My "beef" is that if the horse wasn't actually gelded on Feb 14th, how can we be sure ANY of it is true. How do you know what to trust?

can a horse be gelded and come back and race within 17 days?
Sounds like the conflict is date of race or date of entry. Either way, it is not the actual date. But it's close enough. Let's not start relying on the trainers to record the date. I mean, geez, training is hard work and finding out facts about horses you receive and run before 60 days is really outside the box thinking apparently. I mean, coffee to drink, stories to tell, not much time to actually attend to your f'in business. ( Yes, still worked up about that clown from another thread).

Here's the deal.

Typically, you will have to wait at least 2 days and sometimes 3 after the last race before gelding the horse. That will cut down on after geld bleeding in the area.

Can you run back in 17 days.?
Well,the horse was given a heavy sedation just prior to gelding so first off, it depends on what sedation was given.

Next, the horse will probably be treated with antibiotics for at least 2-3 days, so it would depend on the withdrawal from those also.

Next is the heeling process. I guess plenty can recover that quick from the incision. Remember, no stitches with this. You want it to drain. So each is a bit different but only by a few days.
As for exercise, jogging daily after 2-3 days from the incision is a must. But not galloping. It will help move the blood and decrease the swelling. Long slow exercise, maybe 2 miles is best usually.
Without help, working on a horse that far from it's heart is tough because of getting proper blood flow to the area to help heel it internally. Exercise like jogging helps a lot.
So, to answer your question, yes, it can be done. But an awful lot has to go right. 21 days seems more normal but I am not familiar with today's withdrawal periods for the drugs used.

Hope that answers your question.
Ruffian1 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2015, 07:42 PM   #5
Stillriledup
Veteran

Great post R1, appreciate that.