Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-27-2020, 03:09 PM   #1
dilanesp

CHRB considering DQ of Justify

https://t.co/BGFjK46dwF?amp=1

Step forward, though I would like to see Kentucky convene a hearing. He was ineligible for the Derby if he didn't win at Santa Anita.

Last edited by dilanesp; 08-27-2020 at 03:17 PM.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2020, 03:28 PM   #2
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
https://t.co/BGFjK46dwF?amp=1

Step forward, though I would like to see Kentucky convene a hearing. He was ineligible for the Derby if he didn't win at Santa Anita.
yup, I would like to see all subsequent races he ran in dq'd. he was not elgible for any of them.

and the moneys earned by the connections, trainers, jockeys, grooms, etc returned.

i would also like to see coolmore refunded their 75 million dollars.

and the buyers who bought his offspring to date or paid stud fees refunded.

GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2020, 05:12 PM   #3
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
yup, I would like to see all subsequent races he ran in dq'd. he was not elgible for any of them.

and the moneys earned by the connections, trainers, jockeys, grooms, etc returned.

i would also like to see coolmore refunded their 75 million dollars.

and the buyers who bought his offspring to date or paid stud fees refunded.

As far as the rest of them, they paid their money and they took their chances.

But other sports would DQ him from additional races. For instance, after Ben Johnson was found to use steroids in the 1988 Olympics, track and field disqualified him from the 1987 World Championships as well.

I think saying "we're not going to consider him a TC winner" would be a very powerful message for the sport.
Old 08-27-2020, 05:16 PM   #4
GMB@BP

Quote:
As far as the rest of them, they paid their money and they took their chances.

But other sports would DQ him from additional races. For instance, after Ben Johnson was found to use steroids in the 1988 Olympics, track and field disqualified him from the 1987 World Championships as well.

I think saying "we're not going to consider him a TC winner" would be a very powerful message for the sport.
agree, the sport needs to feel the pain of their decisions.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:00 PM   #5
classhandicapper

To me this highlights the continuing potential problem we have with any points system that doesn't allow for at least a couple of subjective slots decided by experts on a committee (granted that's not perfect either).

Is there anyone that thinks Justify didn't deserved to be in the KY Derby based on the talent he demonstrated to that point not even including the SA Derby?

He then went on to win the Triple Crown clean.

Yet we could wind up with a total mess.

The tricky part is that imo he probably should get DQ'd from the SA Derby. Had he not gotten the points in SA Derby, he wouldn't have been eligible for the KY Derby. So you can at least make a case that he should be DQ'd from the KY Derby based on ineligibility.

On one level the horse won the Triple Crown fair and square on the track.

On another level, hmmmn.

It's a mess.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 08-27-2020 at 06:12 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2020, 06:12 PM   #6
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
To me this highlights the continuing potential problem we have with any points system that doesn't allow for at least a couple of subjective slots decided by experts on a committee (granted that's not perfect either).

Is there anyone that thinks Justify didn't deserved to be in the KY Derby based on the talent he demonstrated to that point not even including the SA Derby?

He then went on to win the Triple Crown clean.

Yet we could wind up with a total mess.

The tricky part is that imo he probably should get DQ'd from the SA Derby. Had he not gotten the points in SA Derby, he wouldn't have been eligible for the KY Derby. So you can make a case that he should be DQ'd from the KY Derby based on ineligibility.

On one level the horse won the Triple Crown fair and square on the track.

On another level, rules are rules.

It's a mess.
AND because he is propagating a fraud on anyone who looks to buy his offspring he should be gelded to stop the spread of his tainted seed.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:14 PM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Gee, maybe if the morons in California had acted a little bit sooner.......

What were they waiting for, John Stamos to knit them a scarf?

He is a TC winner no matter what the slow-minded incompetents decide now.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:20 PM   #8
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
AND because he is propagating a fraud on anyone who looks to buy his offspring he should be gelded to stop the spread of his tainted seed.
Tainted seed?
Old 08-27-2020, 06:23 PM   #9
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
It takes awhile to knit a scarf using a "double fleck pattern with a reverse garter stitch".

(not that I know anything about knitting)

Last edited by classhandicapper; 08-27-2020 at 06:33 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2020, 06:29 PM   #10
dilanesp

Quote:

Not necessarily. Other sports write people out of the history. Pete Carroll's win streak at USC doesn't exist anymore. As I said, Ben Johnson is no longer recognized as either an Olympic or World Champion.

There's no reason we have to say that a horse that was doped and should have never been allowed to enter the Derby is a TC winner. Indeed, sports with some self respect refuse to say things like this.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:03 PM   #11
horsefan2019

Quote:

Yep, money was passed around from bettors and people saw the horse win the triple crown. Seems like certain folks want to settle this in the courts rather than on the track.
horsefan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2020, 04:06 PM   #12
horsefan2019

Quote:
Not necessarily. Other sports write people out of the history. Pete Carroll's win streak at USC doesn't exist anymore. As I said, Ben Johnson is no longer recognized as either an Olympic or World Champion.

There's no reason we have to say that a horse that was doped and should have never been allowed to enter the Derby is a TC winner. Indeed, sports with some self respect refuse to say things like this.

Guess what? Reggie Bush got reinstated to USC and his achievements will be recognized after a certain time where they were "erased". Same for Chris Webber at Michigan....its like certain governing bodies want to erase something that everyone saw happen, no matter what circumstances happened.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:12 PM   #13
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsefan2019 View Post
Guess what? Reggie Bush got reinstated to USC and his achievements will be recognized after a certain time where they were "erased". Same for Chris Webber at Michigan....its like certain governing bodies want to erase something that everyone saw happen, no matter what circumstances happened.
Not true. You are talking about the more silly NCAA rule that bans these people from university functions. The equivalent of that would be if we didn't allow the Winstar people to set foot on Santa Anita property.

But neither USC's nor Michigan's wins those years are EVER going to be reinstated.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:38 PM   #14
horsefan2019

Quote:
Not true. You are talking about the more silly NCAA rule that bans these people from university functions. The equivalent of that would be if we didn't allow the Winstar people to set foot on Santa Anita property.

But neither USC's nor Michigan's wins those years are EVER going to be reinstated.

I'm talking about their individual records and achievements. None of those will ever be erased as long as we have the internet. Not to mention we have what they achieved on video archives.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:48 PM   #15
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsefan2019 View Post
I'm talking about their individual records and achievements. None of those will ever be erased as long as we have the internet. Not to mention we have what they achieved on video archives.
You can also watch Ben Johnson run 9.79 in the 100 meters at the Seoul Olympics.

That doesn't mean he's the 1988 Olympic Champion, though. He isn't, because track and field has the guts to disqualify a doper from its most important honor.