Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-14-2020, 02:33 PM   #1
BarchCapper

Help with a pre-race "good" evaluation phrase that drives me crazy

Can anyone tell me the origin of the POSITIVE handicapping/evaluation phrase: "_____ should hit this horse right between the eyes" ?

I hear it SO often nowadays and don't remember it from my pre-2005 racing life.

It holds such a negative connotation for me - prior to having an injectable euthanasia solution, shooting a horse slightly above but between the eyes was a preferred method of putting a horse down. Still likely very common when the vet isn't available/too expensive:

"If you choose to use a firearm, the preferred method is by a rifle shot using the frontal method. The ideal site is slightly above (1cm) the intersection of two imaginary lines drawn from the eye to the opposite ear."

In our reasonably (sometimes overly) sensitive times - I'm surprised that any term involving "hitting" has traction to begin with, but this one continually surprises me with its widespread use.

The closest correlation I can come up with is the more negative phrase "you wouldn't know a good thing if it hit you in the face".

But for horses ... if anything - right between the eyes and right in front of them is one place where a horse CAN'T see, making the phrase that much weirder to me.

Would love to know how it came to be and what makes it make sense.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2020, 05:24 PM   #2
BarchCapper

Another thing that hits horses "right between the eyes" is kickback. Most horses don't like that either.

I hope someone out there can make sense of this phrase for me!
Old 08-14-2020, 07:41 PM   #3
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

It's a phrase that is used with humans as well...so it just got carried over? I don't know what to tell ya...
Old 08-14-2020, 08:11 PM   #4
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
It's a phrase that is used with humans as well...so it just got carried over? I don't know what to tell ya...
I know - I find that to be more of a something became suddenly obvious to a person sense.

That would work if the horse decided to enter itself (at a distance, on the turf, etc.).

Meanwhile I keep picturing Anton Chigur at work in "No Country for Old Men" ...

Maybe I'm reaching the age when I'd benefit from that treatment ...
Old 08-15-2020, 01:43 PM   #5
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
Can anyone tell me the origin of the POSITIVE handicapping/evaluation phrase: "_____ should hit this horse right between the eyes" ?

I hear it SO often nowadays and don't remember it from my pre-2005 racing life.

It holds such a negative connotation for me - prior to having an injectable euthanasia solution, shooting a horse slightly above but between the eyes was a preferred method of putting a horse down. Still likely very common when the vet isn't available/too expensive:

"If you choose to use a firearm, the preferred method is by a rifle shot using the frontal method. The ideal site is slightly above (1cm) the intersection of two imaginary lines drawn from the eye to the opposite ear."

In our reasonably (sometimes overly) sensitive times - I'm surprised that any term involving "hitting" has traction to begin with, but this one continually surprises me with its widespread use.

The closest correlation I can come up with is the more negative phrase "you wouldn't know a good thing if it hit you in the face".

But for horses ... if anything - right between the eyes and right in front of them is one place where a horse CAN'T see, making the phrase that much weirder to me.

Would love to know how it came to be and what makes it make sense.
good post...I have used that phrase, and INSTANTLY regretted it because of the negative connotation......these days, I strive to avoid it...……….on a broader note, when doing tv, it's NEVER the truly dangerous expressions that land you in hot water..but instead, it's always something innocuous that you never imagined could offend someone...…………….and sometimes, super-eager for a gotcha moment, my critics will simply INVENT something I supposedly said.....

Last edited by mountainman; 08-15-2020 at 01:56 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2020, 02:29 PM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
good post...I have used that phrase, and INSTANTLY regretted it because of the negative connotation......these days, I strive to avoid it...……….on a broader note, when doing tv, it's NEVER the truly dangerous expressions that land you in hot water..but instead, it's always something innocuous that you never imagined could offend someone...…………….and sometimes, super-eager for a gotcha moment, my critics will simply INVENT something I supposedly said.....
The Thunder TV announcer since inception (until the past two years) was fired for saying Russell Westbrook, who was on fire on the court at the time, was "out of his cotton picking mind." I grew up hearing the phrase all the time in Maryland, coincidentally where the announcer Brian Davis was from, and never had any idea it was considered racist. I mean if you think about it you can figure out why, but it wasn't used that way at all and cost the man his dream job.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2020, 04:18 PM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

"Cotton-pickin' mind" was a familiar term of my youth in the 50s.
Never knew what it meant, much like "ever-lovin' mind."
Old 08-15-2020, 05:28 PM   #8
The_Turf_Monster

Well they have to say something about every horse and what they’re saying there is that the horse can’t compete at that level and/or is disinterested in racing so when all else fails, do something stupid so you can say you’ve tried everything
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2020, 07:26 PM   #9
Zydeco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
"Cotton-pickin' mind" was a familiar term of my youth in the 50s.
Never knew what it meant, much like "ever-lovin' mind."
My Grand father used to tell me.."Keep your cotton picking fingers off the gin"

Took me awhile...lol
Zydeco is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2020, 10:33 PM   #10
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
…………….and sometimes, super-eager for a gotcha moment, my critics will simply INVENT something I supposedly said.....
That kind of thing happens all the time - I'm a Lutheran pastor, I preach from a manuscript, and I was often amazed by what people would tell me they heard in the sermon (in our pre-COVID times when you could greet and interact at the door after the service). And most of those were "good intent" inventions on their part!
Old 08-15-2020, 10:43 PM   #11
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I’ve heard cotton pickin mind my whole life. Never thought about it for a second.

I thought I heard it all when that kid at ESPN got fired for saying Jeremy Lin had a “chink” in his armor
Old 08-16-2020, 11:47 AM   #12
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
The Thunder TV announcer since inception (until the past two years) was fired for saying Russell Westbrook, who was on fire on the court at the time, was "out of his cotton picking mind." I grew up hearing the phrase all the time in Maryland, coincidentally where the announcer Brian Davis was from, and never had any idea it was considered racist. I mean if you think about it you can figure out why, but it wasn't used that way at all and cost the man his dream job.
I would like to recount some of my inadvertent slips. But my mind is screaming "Danger, will robinson..DANGER!!!!!!"
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply