Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:18 PM   #1
Track Phantom

Awful Bad Beat - Ticket screen shot/photo

A guy who regularly gets the Track Phantom analysis sheets emailed me today and said he was singling my best bet (#7 Metaboss in the 4th leg) along with ALL's around it. I had 3 or 4 email exchanges with him trying to talk him out of it. He wouldn't budge.

The email, with his ticket screen shot and the photo of the 5th race. (I blocked out his last name).

If you didn't see the race, it looked like the longshot caught the favorite. This sucks!

Old 01-04-2015, 06:24 PM   #2
FantasticDan
gelding

The losing the whip in the stretch only makes it more
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2015, 06:25 PM   #3
CosmicWon

I don't know how to get pics to load but this was my bad beat today:
https://twitter.com/GustavoJDelgado/...49286271795201

I had the deuce at 40-1 who just gets run down by the TAP. That's a link to the photo. Long story short, I was bummed. <tiny violins>

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (134.2 KB, 449 views)

Last edited by CosmicWon; 01-04-2015 at 06:26 PM.
CosmicWon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2015, 08:16 PM   #4
tanner12oz

Brutal
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2015, 09:14 PM   #5
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

I think you added a letter "a" that was unneeded. Awful bad bet, but you did try to tell him. And he still almost lucked into it. At least he got some of his money back. Could have been worse.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2015, 09:20 PM   #6
Stillriledup
Veteran

Honestly, it was a horrendous wager, there were horses who could have been tossed out and the only race he singled was the toughest of them all on paper. The 1 in the first race had 0 chance as did the 3 in Leg 2 and the 1 in leg 5. A better bet (assuming a similar ticket structure) would have been:

2345678 w 1245678 w A w 7 w 234567 that would have only cost 1,029. Throwing 33% of your ticket cost on horses with 0 chance isn't very smart business, that will get you to the poor house a lot quicker.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2015, 09:27 PM   #7
Track Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Honestly, it was a horrendous wager, there were horses who could have been tossed out and the only race he singled was the toughest of them all on paper. The 1 in the first race had 0 chance as did the 3 in Leg 2 and the 1 in leg 5. A better bet (assuming a similar ticket structure) would have been:

2345678 w 1245678 w A w 7 w 234567 that would have only cost 1,029. Throwing 33% of your ticket cost on horses with 0 chance isn't very smart business, that will get you to the poor house a lot quicker.
C'mon! While you're right that some of the runners looked like obvious toss-outs, one of those was the frickin' #2 in the last leg. That horse looked hopeless. I see how you added him in your ticket.

Give me a break.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:38 PM   #8
luisbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valento
C'mon! While you're right that some of the runners looked like obvious toss-outs, one of those was the frickin' #2 in the last leg. That horse looked hopeless. I see how you added him in your ticket.

Give me a break.
But he didn't win. We all know that losing by an inch or by the length of the stretch is the same.
luisbe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2015, 09:40 PM   #9
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valento

Give me a break.
I'm just tossing the 0 pct no hopers. While the 2 certainly wasn't the most likely winner, he didn't have 0 chance. I bet ON that horse more than i don't bet him. I had that horse last time he won, win bet and exa, bet him the race before that when he was up the track and i bet him off his race 3 back, with the 66 Beyer, he was totally full of run in there and does his best racing with Iggy. Not likely he was going to win, but if you are spending 1,000 and your idea is to single the 7 in leg 4 and use as many horses as possible, he would have been a horse to throw in.

On 2nd look, the 1 in leg 5 might have had a very small chance, so even if you include him too, you still have to toss the 1 in leg 1 and the 3 in leg 2 to save money.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:21 PM   #10
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Personally, I wouldn't consider playing a bunch of ALLs and not getting lucky a bad beat. JMHO.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2015, 12:47 AM   #11
Seabiscuit@AR

Why not just dump the $1568 on Metaboss for the win and forget the rest? If the dividend holds up he wins around $1254 and gets back his $1568. If the dividend drops to 0.70-1 he still wins $1097 or so
Seabiscuit@AR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2015, 01:48 AM   #12
WJ47

I would never consider playing a ticket like this. I even managed to find some hopeless throw outs, however I singled the #6 in the first leg and got knocked out right away.

I'm glad you posted this though because I had a real bad day at the races today. I had a late pick 4 ticket written down that I didn't get in because my 24 year old daughter called me with a terrible crisis and I lost track of time.

The crisis: She adopted a cat from the shelter yesterday and now she doesn't feel she can handle the responsibility of caring for a cat. Are you kidding me? She's got a college degree and a full-time job and she can't take care of a cat? And it's an older cat, not a rambunctious kitten. I don't get it. I have a cat. My cat requires almost no care. I give her food and water and scoop her litter box.

I thought, "It'll probably lose anyway." Of course, as always happens to me when I miss getting a bet in, it won and paid good.

When my daughter called later to whine again about the horrendous burden of being a cat owner, I thought I'd lose my mind. I told her she'd better not call me during my racing time again unless it was a dire emergency.

So, anyway, after I saw this guy's ticket, I felt a lot better. Someone who had a worse day than me!

I actually had a couple bucks to win on the 2 horse in that race, for no other reason than Iggy was riding him. I thought I had it! I didn't realize that Iggy dropped the whip.
WJ47 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2015, 03:33 AM   #13
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup

Every time I read one of your posts I find myself thinking of and longing for the exact same thing.

An oversize Ice Pick I can use to thrust into my own Cornea.

Guy takes a brutal beat and all you can do is nag about the construction of the ticket?

Have you ever actually been to the track?
Old 01-05-2015, 05:18 AM   #14
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
Every time I read one of your posts I find myself thinking of and longing for the exact same thing.

An oversize Ice Pick I can use to thrust into my own Cornea.

Guy takes a brutal beat and all you can do is nag about the construction of the ticket?

I have to admit, i lied to you and i humbly apologize.

In the "worst announcer tampa" thread in post 780, i told you that you could call me Mr 10 and 2.

I lied. Its Mr 12 and 2.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:02 AM   #15
Some_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer

I doubt it, you don't get to 17K posts (93.56% of which are negative in someway) by going to the race track or playing any actual races. This is a full time gig
Some_One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply