Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 11-30-2005, 05:31 PM   #1
michiken

Beta Testers Wanted

This was posted with PA's approval so I want to thank him publicly

Four years ago, I started working on converting my report generator from Paradox to another database format. As many of you have seen my posts, you know that I use bris speed and pace figs. My goal was to have an online website that would:

- Allow you to store data online and access it 24/7 from anywhere there is net access. A web based application!

- Generate both Text and Visual Reports that are simple to use. The visual report would graph both speed and pace figures.

- Generate reports that would allow me to compare the entire field as a group. The group can be sorted on all types of ratings i.e speed, ability, final fraction.

- Create a site that would allow a novice to use a database without having to know the programming language.

The Site is Now Online and I need Beta Testers!!

- You will need to have data in the bris SINGLE DRF format. Each user will get their own database. TSN and DRF files will not be supported for now.

- I wrote the site for web browsers that have .png (portable network graphics) support. Internet Exploiter may show the images without the transparent backgrounds. (Mozilla Firefox, Konqueror, Safari or Opera would probably be better choices).

- The Beta Test Period will extend until all the kinks, bugs and scripting issues are worked. At that time all data may be erased and the site will go public, and you will have to resignup. (I need to test the database reliability and bandwith, space requirements).

- I have started a forum for people to report bugs and discuss the software. I would appreciate comments from web developers and programmers - this is my first shot at trying this. I would appreciate constructive criticism.

- All other details will be determined in the future. I am currently in discussion with bris to make sure that I won't violate their copyrights. (No need for a war like CJ had). If there are any issues, the site will not be made public.

- I am going to limit the amount of Beta testers in case their are major bugs or issues. The first 5-10 applicants will be chosen in the order they are received. If there are more than this amount of applicants, I may send you the site url so you can browse around but I will kindly state that you should not yet signup.

- My forum is intended to be for user input about the program. It is in no way intended to replace PA because the paceadvantage forum rules!

- Its free and based on open source software. It can be used as another small tool in your arsenal.

Drop me a PM with your email address if your are interested. Let me know if you want to be a Beta Tester or just want to take a sneak peak?

Ken
Old 11-30-2005, 06:15 PM   #2
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

I'll try it.
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2005, 07:49 PM   #3
douglasw32
douglasw32

Dang Me too...THANKS!
douglasw32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2005, 08:46 PM   #4
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

PM sent.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:00 PM   #5
shoelessjoe

tester

Ken,I would like to help you out with this.I play pretty much all tracks but especially Charles Town if you want to get some minor track testing done. Jeff
shoelessjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2005, 11:16 PM   #6
douglasw32
douglasw32

WOW! nice web programming....
I got stunped for a miniute because I unzip all my data and store it in a folder, then I said Ahhhh ha, just zip it back up (duh) and it worked.

Not sure some end users would get that far. but then again most probably do not unzip what they download manually??

But maybe allowing either way as an upload would be a grand idea.
I'll digest it, but right off the bat...don't pick on me folks...it (you) had Squittle Squirt in the sprint on top...that's one of those wins I can't get out of my head I always look at it.
douglasw32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-01-2005, 06:35 AM   #7
michiken

Thanks to those of you who volunteered to be a guinea pig! LOL

An instruction email was sent out to all beta testers. If you did not get them, please leave me a pm today and I will respond when I get home from work. (some free sites like yahoo have been moving the mails to the bulk folder)

As of the time of this post, I have room for 3 more testers.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:51 AM   #8
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I would like to test, if that is OK?

Side Note:

Quote:
- All other details will be determined in the future. I am currently in discussion with bris to make sure that I won't violate their copyrights. (No need for a war like CJ had). If there are any issues, the site will not be made public.
There was no war, they asked, and for me, it wasn't worth the hassle to investigate, so I changed my format. People that used my site were a lot more upset than I was, but to be honest, it probably helped me as I said it would at the time.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-01-2005, 05:17 PM   #9
michiken

Ok the 1st thing I learned about doing this is NOT to have everyone log in at the same time....... the server got hammered. Probably because there is a million sql's going on at the same time.

If you can't log on because you get a server error. Please wait til later......................

Beta Test Bug 1 Complete! LOL
Old 12-01-2005, 07:33 PM   #10
RERACING

I play only MRN but I paly everyday and download from Bris. If you want just one track I would test yours.
RERACING is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-01-2005, 08:31 PM   #11
michiken

Beta Tester Spots are now all Taken!

Thanks to all of those who volunteered.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:38 PM   #12
Rizzo

Ill try it

If you need input..I would try if you like

Rizzo
Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2005, 12:15 PM   #13
michiken

Sample Report

Beta testing is now in its 3rd week or so and it has been very hit and miss. I had server and database problems and thanks to those of you who have contributed!

For the PA community, here is a sample mini report that my beta's have helped me create (I had to limit the number of pacelines to fit the forum posting limit)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sample.pdf (27.3 KB, 135 views)
Old 12-18-2005, 01:02 PM   #14
shanta

[QUOTE=michiken]
For the PA community, here is a sample mini report that my beta's have helped me create

Hi Ken,
Enclosing a screen shot of your report. Why call this the "Sartin" summary chart? It is NOT Sartin. Why not call it the "Ken" summary ? It is your work aftert all not Doc Sartin's.

Regardless looks real good. Nice work.

Merry Christmas

Richie

Attached Images
File Type: gif ScreenHunter_1.gif (13.1 KB, 497 views)
shanta is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2005, 04:37 PM   #15
Tom Barrister
Veteran

What exactly are these testers uploading to your site?
Tom Barrister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply