Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-07-2015, 09:52 PM   #31
nijinski

You might want to forgive the jockeys for being high

on the moment .

I'm sure Victor felt euphoric yesterday .

He did go back to the barn to plant a kiss on AP !
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2015, 10:00 PM   #32
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge07
California Chrome is "one of the best horses ever" ... and is "just as good as [Secretariat] ... this according to CC's jockey Victor Espinoza.

The legendary jockey was out in NYC yesterday when we asked how Cali Chrome ranks in the pantheon of great racehorses ... and Vic says if it weren't for the hoof injury suffered in the Belmont Stakes, Chrome would be at the top of the list.

"I believe he's as good as [Secretariat] ... but when something goes wrong, then it can't go 100%."

BTW, Victor is AWESOME -- and after the Chrome talk, gave us some pretty interesting tips on how to properly bet the ponies.

Turns out, betting on the horse that took the biggest leak before the race isn't the way to go.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2014/06/10/victor...#ixzz34G1RLDed

Apparently he drank the same koolaid as others.
As good as Secretariat?.....That's like saying the next super stud NHL player is as good as Wayne Gretzky....Sorry Vic...Despite your excellent riding on AP, you are without knowledge of the great Secretariat.....
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2015, 10:02 PM   #33
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green
Big Red had it easy. Faced an ultra weak 6 horse field in the Belmont. Big Red could never stand up to the power of a horse like Tomalist on familiar ground while Tonalist was well rested. Big Red was beat by the likes of Onion. He is so overrated.
Well/ We are all entitled to our opinion....
One thing though. We are not entitled to create our own reality.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:04 PM   #34
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettinBilly
Having a mic and camera put in your face and being asked if your mount could have beaten "Secretariat" is totally different than simply stating out of the blue that your horse could have beaten Big Red. I think Espinoza handled the question as well as he could.

And I agree with Espinoza. For Chrome to have an injured foot, and still have run as good as he did was not to shabby. He wasn't making excuses, he was just pointing out that his horse did fairly well under the circumstances as he sees them.

Personally, I don't think any horse could have beaten Secretariat on that day and I don't think it's worth discussing. But if I were asked the same question, I'd probably have answered somewhat like Espinoza did. Tough question to answer.
Then the person who asked that question is an IDIOT.......
Old 06-07-2015, 11:46 PM   #35
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettinBilly
Having a mic and camera put in your face and being asked if your mount could have beaten "Secretariat" is totally different than simply stating out of the blue that your horse could have beaten Big Red. I think Espinoza handled the question as well as he could.

And I agree with Espinoza. For Chrome to have an injured foot, and still have run as good as he did was not to shabby. He wasn't making excuses, he was just pointing out that his horse did fairly well under the circumstances as he sees them.

Personally, I don't think any horse could have beaten Secretariat on that day and I don't think it's worth discussing. But if I were asked the same question, I'd probably have answered somewhat like Espinoza did. Tough question to answer.
He could have said "not as good" or " i dont know secretariat so i cant say"

Why is it a tough question to answer?
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2015, 12:24 AM   #36
letswastemoney

I'd argue that American Pharoah hasn't proven Secretariat is better or worse. He just hasn't run as much, but they could be as talented as each other.

It's not like Secretariat was invincible. He lost more than once in his 3 year old season.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2015, 12:30 AM   #37
chenoa

There sure has been some nice horses to come out of California the past few years.
chenoa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2015, 02:37 AM   #38
Rex Phinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenoa
There sure has been some nice horses to come out of California the past few years.
By my count since Santa Anita switched back to dirt California based horses are 3 for 4 in the Derby/ Preakness.

Throw in Bodemeister/ Paynter a few years ago and the performance of Firing Line and Dortmund in this years Derby and things look pretty decent out here.
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2015, 03:03 AM   #39
appistappis
longshot kick de bucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
As good as Secretariat?.....That's like saying the next super stud NHL player is as good as Wayne Gretzky....Sorry Vic...Despite your excellent riding on AP, you are without knowledge of the great Secretariat.....

this would have made more sense if you said bobby orr.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:24 PM   #40
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by appistappis
this would have made more sense if you said bobby orr.
I'll give ya that....It's a shame Orr's career was so wracked with injuries.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:37 AM   #41
Dark Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaLover
I think that horses can be compared regardless of the time gap. The more time has passed since a horse was running, the more accurate your impressions should be.
That's not how the monkey mind works. The great majority of people identify more strongly with a belief that was introduced to them first than with later beliefs of equal or even better value. Call it the chronology of beliefs. And most people, when presented with a contradicting belief, instead of objectively examining the two side by side, will dig in their heels in defense of the belief that was first presented. The more time passes, the more this practice will convince them of the accuracy of their initial belief.

Last edited by Dark Horse; 06-09-2015 at 08:38 AM.
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2015, 09:21 AM   #42
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
That's not how the monkey mind works. The great majority of people identify more strongly with a belief that was introduced to them first than with later beliefs of equal or even better value. Call it the chronology of beliefs. And most people, when presented with a contradicting belief, instead of objectively examining the two side by side, will dig in their heels in defense of the belief that was first presented. The more time passes, the more this practice will convince them of the accuracy of their initial belief.

I think that as time passes by and we better understand each horse the better we can realize how he compared to this contemporaries and based on that we can conclude about his greateness
Old 06-11-2015, 02:28 AM   #43
Redbullsnation
THEY SEND IN THE MAN

Secretariat is like the Babe Ruth of horse racing. Can't compare him to CC
Redbullsnation is offline   Reply With Quote Reply