Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-11-2021, 10:05 PM   #1
thetripleclowns

From Charlatan to Eric Guillot

We have launched our weekly shows, and yes we are touching on the storm of Eric Guillot.

Check out our latest episode and hit that subscribe button.

thetripleclowns is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2021, 08:06 AM   #2
westernmassbob

In regards to Eric Guillot something confuses me. If everyone always knew this trainer was a POS and made nasty racist comments and rocked the boat on twitter then why was he given so much attention ? If you do a search on YouTube there are various interviews done with Mr. Guillot over the last several years that focus on his comedic presence in the horse community. One of these was done by Andy Serling in Saratoga about 4-5 years ago. I would think that someone like Andy and even the TVG hosts would know of Guillot’s negative racist reputation and would never want to put him in any kind of spotlight. I mean his racist antics could not just have appeared suddenly and based on many comments a lot of people already knew how he was. How did this just slip by in the media over the last several years ? Why even interview him at all ?
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2021, 08:10 AM   #3
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernmassbob View Post
In regards to Eric Guillot something confuses me. If everyone always knew this trainer was a POS and made nasty racist comments and rocked the boat on twitter then why was he given so much attention ? If you do a search on YouTube there are various interviews done with Mr. Guillot over the last several years that focus on his comedic presence in the horse community. One of these was done by Andy Serling in Saratoga about 4-5 years ago. I would think that someone like Andy and even the TVG hosts would know of Guillot’s negative racist reputation and would never want to put him in any kind of spotlight. I mean his racist antics could not just have appeared suddenly and based on many comments a lot of people already knew how he was. How did this just slip by in the media over the last several years ? Why even interview him at all ?
Eric crossed the line in this instance because of the way he targeted Rudulph with his tweets. The level of idiocy for his action is off the charts.

Eric is an equal opportunity ball buster and always has been and Ken is no perfect angel either but this isn't a close call to condemn Eric.
Andy Asaro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2021, 08:26 AM   #4
westernmassbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
Eric crossed the line in this instance because of the way he targeted Rudulph with his tweets. The level of idiocy for his action is off the charts.

Eric is an equal opportunity ball buster and always has been and Ken is no perfect angel either but this isn't a close call to condemn Eric.
I think that is part of the problem. We as a society wait for the line to be crossed before people are made responsible for their racist actions. He should have been called out and shut down a long time ago.
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2021, 10:51 AM   #5
dilanesp

Quote:
I think that is part of the problem. We as a society wait for the line to be crossed before people are made responsible for their racist actions. He should have been called out and shut down a long time ago.
I think a cynical person might make the argument that the industry is just fine with racism and that the only real sacred cow here is that TVG and it's hosts have enough power to force tracks to take action because they generate so much revenue.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2021, 11:35 AM   #6
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I think a cynical person might make the argument that the industry is just fine with racism and that the only real sacred cow here is that TVG and it's hosts have enough power to force tracks to take action because they generate so much revenue.
You can still be cynical, but we've also seen the industry deal with the Van Meter situation without it being one that really touched TVG. I'd also argue that Van Meter was much more of an "insider" than a Guillot.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2021, 12:06 PM   #7
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post

This was all a bit silly and distasteful.

If he was so triggered and focused on some other man's political views, and felt the need to react, he could have done so.

May have seemed silly, but could have been done.

How it became a race-centered reaction, I don't know.

Leave those jokes to the Dave Chappelle's of the world.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:31 PM   #8
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
This was all a bit silly and distasteful.

If he was so triggered and focused on some other man's political views, and felt the need to react, he could have done so.

May have seemed silly, but could have been done.

How it became a race-centered reaction, I don't know.

Leave those jokes to the Dave Chappelle's of the world.

You don't know how this became "a race-centered reaction????"

Are you kidding me? Do people here bother to actually read the Tweets made by Guillot related to this incident before commenting?
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2021, 12:45 PM   #9
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post

Are you kidding me? Do people here bother to actually read the Tweets made by Guillot related to this incident before commenting?
TLG is quite correct on the merits here. Despite my cynicism about racing and who it punishes and who it doesn't, EG's conduct here was indefensible and NYRA was perfectly within its rights to do what it did.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:52 PM   #10
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
I would say by definition a racist action is crossing the line. What can you do before someone crosses the line?

I don't know if he had done anything like this in the past. Somebody alluded to something from a decade ago which I don't remember or didn't know about. If true, yes, something should have been done. The good news is something was done now so at the very least we have progress.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2021, 12:57 PM   #11
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post

My bad, for not writing that post very clearly. (juggling Parx/Mahoning)

Have read, and was disappointed by the Guillot Tweets. They are clearly race-centered, and inappropriate.

I wondered out loud, as to how Guillot , felt the need to take it there

Why did Guillot take a political beef, and go low, with a nongermane racist comment??

side note: Ken Rudolph has been on the rise, as one of the better analysts. He was actually on the Triple Clowns Podcast (at least once that I remember!)
Old 01-12-2021, 12:58 PM   #12
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
How do you define "the industry?" I'm sure there is racism in horse racing just like there is in every other business. The industry is made up of human beings. But as a whole fine with racism? I don't buy that for a second.

Just like in real life, I think the vast majority of people are not racist. I also think it is getting better and better with younger generations. Maybe racing is a little slower because we are not a young person's sport for the most part but as that group advances up the ladder in racing (and everywhere else), racism is going to be more and more ostracized.
Old 01-12-2021, 01:06 PM   #13
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
How do you define "the industry?" I'm sure there is racism in horse racing just like there is in every other business. The industry is made up of human beings. But as a whole fine with racism? I don't buy that for a second.

Just like in real life, I think the vast majority of people are not racist. I also think it is getting better and better with younger generations. Maybe racing is a little slower because we are not a young person's sport for the most part but as that group advances up the ladder in racing (and everywhere else), racism is going to be more and more ostracized.
Do you think Grape Juice was the first racist horse name?

How many anti-Hispanic slurs do you think get thrown around the backstretch by white trainers here in California?

I agree with you that younger generations are getting better. But I think the target of EG's racism working for a powerful actor in the racing industry has a lot to do with why he is being (correctly) punished. Racism directed at less powerful targets gets ignored all the time.
Old 01-12-2021, 01:13 PM   #14
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I would say by definition a racist action is crossing the line. What can you do before someone crosses the line?

I don't know if he had done anything like this in the past. Somebody alluded to something from a decade ago which I don't remember or didn't know about. If true, yes, something should have been done. The good news is something was done now so at the very least we have progress.
Someone in NoCal ran a horse wearing Confederate flag silks about 10 years ago. He also named the horse Mute Rudulph.
Owner was Bill Wilbur and he was suspended for it.
There’s a thread on this site about it...a search may locate it.
I Googled ‘Rudulph silks’ and it lead me back to a thread from this site

Last edited by PhantomOnTour; 01-12-2021 at 01:16 PM.
PhantomOnTour is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2021, 01:14 PM   #15
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Do you think Grape Juice was the first racist horse name?

How many anti-Hispanic slurs do you think get thrown around the backstretch by white trainers here in California?

I agree with you that younger generations are getting better. But I think the target of EG's racism working for a powerful actor in the racing industry has a lot to do with why he is being (correctly) punished. Racism directed at less powerful targets gets ignored all the time.
If I had to guess I would say no, but I don't think there are a bunch of racist names floating around out there. I honestly would have never know Grape Juice was racist if Guillot had not opened his idiotic mouth about it, and I'm sure there are other veiled names out there most wouldn't get.

Surely you don't think the Jockey Club approves names they know are racist but that can probably slide by. That would be condoning racism. I think it is very difficult job that could probably be automated to a great extent to flag anything possibly racist or otherwise inappropriate, but even then some would slip by. Any believe it or not, many names submitted that could be problematic are probably not done with bad intentions. I could have easily submitted the name Grape Soda for a horse with no bad intentions whatsover.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: