Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 09-30-2023, 09:31 AM   #1
Teach

Patriots vs. Cowboys: Final Analysis

As we speak, we’re less than 48 hrs. from the opening kickoff at Dallas’s AT & T Stadium in a game between the New England Patriots (1-2) and Dallas Cowboys (2-1). I would imagine at 9 A.M. E.D.T. the Patriots are either already en route, or they’re about to wend their way to Boston’s Logan Airport (or is it Warwick, R.I.’s T.F. Green) for DFW in preparation for their Sunday afternoon, 4:25 P.M. E.D.T. tilt with the Cowboys.

The headline for this game could easily read: “The Return of The Native.” No, not that Thomas Hardy Victorian Era novel that I had to read in my English Lit. class, but the return of “Zeke” Elliott, the former Dallas Cowboy, to his "ol' stomping grounds.” Elliott, by the way, had his best game as a Patriot, last week, against the Jets when he rushed for 80 yards, a 5 yards per-carry average. In addition, “Zeke” knows Dallas. Elliott’s “intelligence" about the Cowboys "workings" could help the Patriots as they seek their second-straight win.

Speaking of the Patriots, I believe they must play “the perfect game” if they have any hopes of emerging from “Big D” with a “W.” As far as the Patriots are concerned, I believe their play, as hinted, must be flawless and as calculating as it can be. The words “fumble,” “interception," “penalty," etc. must be expunged from their football vocabulary.

Moreover, in this light, the Patriots are not the kind of team that can play come-from-behind football; they just don’t have “the weapons.” The Pats have demonstrated that in their games against both the Eagles and Dolphins.

Further, what I have just suggested, i.e., “perfect game," is no easy task. It takes an abundance of discipline. It’s just that Patriots don’t have “the big-play” game-breaker, i.e., Tyreek Hill.

On this matter, the Patriots are built more for a Woody Hayes-style offense, “Three yards and a cloud of dust.” Grind it out, grind it out and, as we used to say at my high school (I went to a nerdy school): “Pursue them, pursue them, make them relinquish the ball!" Above all, “Don’t shoot yourself in the foot.”

In concluding my assessment of the Patriots, the Patriots offensive line must protect Mac Jones. I believe Jones should be looking more and more at his tight ends, e.g., Henry, Gesicki, etc. If the Cowboys “blitz,” be ready to use draws, delays, receiver-screens, etc. to mitigate the rush. To paraphrase a law of physics: For every defense there is an equal and opposite offense, and vice versa. It’s all about making "on-the-fly" adjustments.

As for the Cowboys, as cited, their playoff train was derailed, at least temporarily, by their loss to the Cardinals. In that game, Cowboys' weaknesses were exposed. I ask, "Have the Cowboys made the necessary adjustments, or do they still remain vulnerable?" Then, there’s the home-field AT & T advantage. The Cowboys can be very tough in front of their rabid rooters. One thing appears certain, the crowd will be ”pumped.”

In that vein, the Patriots will need to keep their composure; they can ill-afford to be playing from behind. If there were a “bright light” for the Cowboys last week in their loss to the Cardinals, it was the running of Tony Pollard. If the Patriots can’t stop Pollard, or at least lessen his effectiveness, it could turn out to be a long afternoon for Patriots fans.

Finally, the question remains: “Was last week’s Dallas loss to Arizona an anomaly, an aberration, or was it a possible sign of things to come?" To put it another way, “Is the bloom off the rose?” This week’s game will tell us a lot about that question. Oh, one other thing: Could the Cowboys get caught “looking ahead” toward their following Sunday matchup with the San Francisco 49ers?

In closing, the last I saw the Patriots were + 6.5 “dogs.” The O/U was pegged at 43.5. Again, so many questions that can only be answered on the field of play. (1) Can the Patriots “play their game,” i.e., flawless football? (2) Is there any carryover from the Sauce Gardner incident in last week’s Jets game? (3) Is Dallas’s loss of the star cornerback, Trevor Diggs, their “Achilles Heel”? Can that Dallas secondary weakness be exploited? (4) Patriots coach, Bill Belichick, has “owned” the Dallas Cowboys. His record against Dallas is 5-1. His only loss came in an OT game in 2021. (5) Can Rhamondre Stevenson come up with with a big game that would complement Zeke Elliott? (6) Lastly, I ask, "Can the Patriots keep it close?" I believe the longer the game goes with the Patriots still in it, the better their chances of coming out of Dallas with a 'W.'”

As for wagering, I’m leaning toward the belief that Dallas can “cover.” I prefer the “over.” Oh, I’ve got a “prop” bet for you. I do admit the odds are astronomical. That Taylor Swift will not be at the Dallas vs. New England game. Then again, if either team were playing the Chiefs...

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply