Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 09-27-2023, 09:41 AM   #1
Teach

JuJu Smith-Schuster: "The Long and Winding Road"

The Beatles: "Yesterday"

"Yesterday. All My Troubles Seemed So Far Away…

Ju Ju Smith-Schuster started playing football when he was only 8-years-old. He was, in fact, once coached by Snoop Dogg. Yes, Ju Ju Smith-Schuster's football career has been "a long and winding road.” Although he’s only 26-years-old, Smith-Schuster has been playing football for nearly 20 years.

"[I]Now It Looks Like They’re Here To Stay. Oh, I Believe In Yesterday…[/I]"

Smith-Schuster played his collegiate ball at the University of Southern California. In 2014, Smith-Schuster would play for the Trojans as a true freshman. He would later help USC defeat the Penn State Nittany Lions in the 2016 Rose Bowl.

"[I]Suddenly. I’m Not The Half The Man I Used To Be…[/I]"

Smith-Schuster would be taken by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the second-round of the 2017 NFL draft. As in college, he made an immediate impact. He started as a kick-returner, but would soon emerge as a wide-receiver. At the time of his Steelers debut, he was the youngest player in the NFL

"Theres' A Shadow Hanging Over Me…"

In his NFL rookie year, Smith-Schuster would establish a Steelers' record with a 97-yard TD reception. He would have another 97-yard reception the following year.

"Oh, Yesterday Came Suddenly…"

In Week 11 of the 2019 season, Smith-Shuster took a helmet-to-helmet hit in a game against the Cleveland Browns; he would miss all but the last two games of the regular season. In that Browns' game, he had also suffered a knee injury.

Why She Had To Go I Don’t Know…"

In Week 15 of the 2020 season, the Bengals' Vonn Bell "put a hit" on Smith-Schuster. That year, many teams had "an axe to grind" with Smith-Schuster. During that season, he had the habit of dancing on opponent’s logos for his TikTok followers.

"I Said Something Wrong..."

In Week 5 of the 2021 season, Smith-Schuster suffered shoulder injury in a game against the Denver Broncos; he was placed on the IR. Smith-Schuster would return in time for the Steelers' playoff game against the Kansas City Chiefs. In that game, one in which the Steelers lost 42-21, Smith-Schuster had 5 carches for 26 yards.

"Now I Long For Yesterday..."

In August, 2021, two weeks before the Steelers Week 1 matchup against the Buffalo Bills, Smith-Schuster was the subject of controversy after being filmed attempting to perform the viral milk-crate challenge. It was a challenge in which participants climb up and down a stack of milk crates. In the end, TikTok would ban the challenge due to safety concerns.

"Love Was Such An Easy Game To Play..."

In 2022, now with Kansas City, Smith-Schuster earned a Super Bowl ring when the Chiefs defeated the Eagles, 38-35.

In March, 2023, Smith-Schuster signed a 3-year, 33 million contract with the New England Patriots.

"Now I need A Place To Hide Away..."

Thus far, in three games with the Patriots, Smith-Schuster has just 10 catches for 66 yards.

At this juncture, I ask “Have all those “hits” that Smith-Schuster has taken in his nearly 20-years of playing football come back to haunt him? Has he become chastened, over the years, by the injuries he's suffered in the "rough-and-tumble" life of a professional football player?"

Furthermore, I ask, "Has his former 'devil-may-care' approach to his wide-receiver position all but disappeared?" In that light, did the Patriots get all that they had bargained for? Is Smith-Schuster a shell of his former self? Is he resting on his laurels?

Further, I wonder, as cited, if all those injuries he's sustained in previous seasons come back to haunt him? He’s only in his mid-20’s, but his body may feel like it's in its 40's.

In closing, I’m no orthopedist, but in watching Smith-Schuster walk and run, I wonder if he has lower-back issues. That problem, if it exists, can effect his legs.

Finally, I ask, "Are the Patriots, when Smith-Schuster is on the field, getting 10 and 1/2 players, instead of 11?"

"Now I Long For Yesterday."

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply