Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.20 average.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:56 PM   #841
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofless_Wonder
Race 4 today at Del Mar - start of the pick 6.

4/5 taken down, 19-1 put up. Evidence that odds don't matter (which I think is true).

Looked a bit ticky tack to me, with the running up almost directly into the back end of the . Could see the argument either way.

If it's a Breeder's Cup race, the stays up.
Don't think it stays up in the Breeders Cup either.

Very easy call.

Here's the way to navigate watching the head on.

All horses are entitled to a clear and unobstructed path.

1st question. Did have a clear path to the wire. Answer yes. 2nd question. Did take away that path without being sufficiently clear? Answer yes. 3rd question. Was cost an opportunity as a better placing? Answer yes. That was made very clear by the way re-rallied and was gaining on .

If only they were all that easy.

Last edited by v j stauffer; 11-15-2015 at 06:02 PM.
v j stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2015, 05:59 PM   #842
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Race 4 today at Del Mar - start of the pick 6.

4/5 taken down, 19-1 put up. Evidence that odds don't matter (which I think is true).

Looked a bit ticky tack to me, with the running up almost directly into the back end of the . Could see the argument either way.

If it's a Breeder's Cup race, the stays up.
This came down in BC

[YT=""]31N5AJktBoY[/YT]
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2015, 06:25 PM   #843
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
Don't think it stays up in the Breeders Cup either.

Very easy call.

Here's the way to navigate watching the head on.

All horses are entitled to a clear and unobstructed path.

1st question. Did have a clear path to the wire. Answer yes. 2nd question. Did take away that path without being sufficiently clear? Answer yes. 3rd question. Was cost an opportunity as a better placing? Answer yes. That was made very clear by the way re-rallied and was gaining on .

If only they were all that easy.
It appeared to me that the caused some of his own trouble by running up directly behind the . For a couple of strides, I thought he was going to the inside, and then there may not have been an inquiry at all, as the results could have stood.

When the came out, it didn't look like the was lapped on (unlike SRU's BC example), though it's hard to judge how much clearance the horse had. Since we see horses not maintain straight paths when passing other horse (i.e., get back down on the golden rail), it's a gray area (judgement call) as to what point in the race the must maintain a straight path. And I'm not totally sure that that point had been reached.

And while I agree that the did surge again, and was coming on late, I have a problem with (again) a judgement call being made that he would eventually have stormed by, or would have won had he not had to alter his path and go a bit wider. We know there's plenty of hanging sucker horses who would never win in that scenario. In Aussie racing or Hong Kong, I believe the winner stays up.

In complete disclosure, I had no vested interest after the next race, as I had the in a cheap pick six, and the in a pick three, missing the next leg on both of those tickets.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:34 PM   #844
v j stauffer

Quote:
It appeared to me that the caused some of his own trouble by running up directly behind the . For a couple of strides, I thought he was going to the inside, and then there may not have been an inquiry at all, as the results could have stood.

When the came out, it didn't look like the was lapped on (unlike SRU's BC example), though it's hard to judge how much clearance the horse had. Since we see horses not maintain straight paths when passing other horse (i.e., get back down on the golden rail), it's a gray area (judgement call) as to what point in the race the must maintain a straight path. And I'm not totally sure that that point had been reached.

And while I agree that the did surge again, and was coming on late, I have a problem with (again) a judgement call being made that he would eventually have stormed by, or would have won had he not had to alter his path and go a bit wider. We know there's plenty of hanging sucker horses who would never win in that scenario. In Aussie racing or Hong Kong, I believe the winner stays up.

In complete disclosure, I had no vested interest after the next race, as I had the in a cheap pick six, and the in a pick three, missing the next leg on both of those tickets.
Several points. Not trying to pick apart your analysis. But there are some flaws.

1st. Watch the head on. You can clearly see then you can't. The reason is crossed over in front of him. Did come in slightly? I suppose so, just a bit. But clearly crosses in front of him.

You said it's hard to judge how much clearance had. How much? Maybe. Enough? No chance. The general rule of thumb is a length and a half. wasn't even a full length in front of . Not sufficiently clear.

There is NEVER a point where doesn't have to maintain a straight course from the gate to the wire. The rules don't change. Again, to cross into the path of a rival a horse must be sufficiently clear. At any point on the track.

Stewards do not have to judge whether was going to pass . The rule reads was cost an "opportunity" at a better placing. While nobody knows for sure if would have passed , I think he would have. That is not the criteria. Was he cost and opportunity to pass ? IMO 100% yes.

Easy call.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:07 PM   #845
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Only question was : is he placed 2nd or possibly 3rd.

Correct DQ and placement in this case IMHO
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2015, 06:17 PM   #846
Redhook206

Fairly new to this site, but is VJ Stauffer Vic Stauffer? Former Hollywood Park Announcer?
Redhook206 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2015, 06:36 PM   #847
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhook206
Fairly new to this site, but is VJ Stauffer Vic Stauffer? Former Hollywood Park Announcer?
Yes, that's the real Vic.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:14 PM   #848
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhook206
Unless you work for the IRS in which case my name is Fernando El Malaguena. Ole'
Old 11-18-2015, 07:22 PM   #849
Ocala Mike

Yes, Vic has taken the jump up in class from "goofontheroof" to PA mainstay. Lately, I think he's in charge of the Dispute Resolution section of the site.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2015, 07:38 PM   #850
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Unless you work for the IRS in which case my name is Fernando El Malaguena. Ole'
Check out the Michael Bolton IRS 'love song' from the John Oliver show, hilarious!
Old 11-18-2015, 09:03 PM   #851
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Chuck Town race 5 tonight. IMHO a total Bullcrap DQ. If that's a DQ, they need to have a DQ in 6 races a night there.

I had no wager, just in case people are wondering. Just happen to have the NYRA channel on and saw the race.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:12 PM   #852
bello
Veteran

Last Friday ( or Th) they had an awful leave up of a hirse that should have clearly come down.

This was the most ridiculous take down I have ever seen. And it was quick. There was NO foul, and I had the three
bello is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2015, 09:21 PM   #853
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by bello
Last Friday ( or Th) they had an awful leave up of a hirse that should have clearly come down.

This was the most ridiculous take down I have ever seen. And it was quick. There was NO foul, and I had the three
They took no time to make the decision, didn't really show the head on clearly. You can tell what was going to happen.

Bello, I appreciate your honesty, despite your wager on the horse put up.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:26 PM   #854
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
Chuck Town race 5 tonight. IMHO a total Bullcrap DQ. If that's a DQ, they need to have a DQ in 6 races a night there.

I had no wager, just in case people are wondering. Just happen to have the NYRA channel on and saw the race.
CT and Mountain lead the nation in DQs and non DQs that defy any kind of consistency or logic. Bet these places at your own risk.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:54 AM   #855
Redhook206

Quote:
So cool to have Vic in the house! Really enjoyed your calls at HP. Especially when Zenyatta was 20 lengths back at the top of the lane.

Would love your opinion on my bad beat DQ last week at Delta. See my post on page 56. Ultracapper gave a solid writeup. Do you agree with us?

Redhook206 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply