Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-20-2017, 04:22 PM   #61
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
Oh, yeah, that's really similar. 4% versus 50ish%.

The fact is that it's a $16m purse, whether you like the way it's split or not. So simple even a toddler could figure it out. How old are you again?
Against my better instincts I tried. Your math needs a lot of work. My example is closer to what Frank's doing than what Frank's doing is to the normal model. It is an 8.2 million dollar race.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2017, 05:07 PM   #62
ultracapper

The marketing director should step up and get into Frank's ear.

Up the entry fee to 1.5mil, guarantee each participant a 1.15mil return, and market it to the world that "Every horse in the race will leave a millionaire" in big bold type in every newspaper in the country. Of course, every dimwit in existance would see what a sham that is, but we're talking horse racing here. Right?

Hell, up it to $10mil and guarantee a 9.65mil participation trophy, err, purse cut.......no, wait, up it to a $million jillion, gazillion entry fee............

What this shows is that there are few owners willing to risk $750k of their own money on a single race, as they did last year, so the risk has been lowered to $350k this year, and you can bet it will be lowered again in the near future in order to fill the gate, and before you know it, the Pegasus Cup will be a thing of the past.

It really is a great idea, having the owners put up the purse money like days gone by, but why put up your own money when you can take it out of Mr. Slot Machine player's pocket. What the owners are saying here is, sure, I'll put up a million bucks, but you have to give me most of it back after the race is over. And I get to call it purse winnings.

Last edited by ultracapper; 12-20-2017 at 05:09 PM.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2017, 06:36 PM   #63
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Against my better instincts I tried. Your math needs a lot of work. My example is closer to what Frank's doing than what Frank's doing is to the normal model. It is an 8.2 million dollar race.
Or your math does. $650k x 9 = $5.85m, meaning there's $10.15m up for grabs for the top 3.

It's a $16m purse, despite your insistence that it's not. $16m is paid out. How it's funded is irrelevant. No one said the $2m purse of the Ky Derby was really $1m since the owners put up $1m.

But thanks for this new twist on what purse earnings really means. Now we know that the New Twist DWC purse is really $8.8m since the first 6 are all guaranteed $200k.

But at least you backed off your implication that Stronach wasn't really "buying" the 3 unsold slots even if you wouldn't just admit you were wrong.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2017, 07:20 PM   #64
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Or your math does. $650k x 9 = $5.85m, meaning there's $10.15m up for grabs for the top 3.

It's a $16m purse, despite your insistence that it's not. $16m is paid out. How it's funded is irrelevant. No one said the $2m purse of the Ky Derby was really $1m since the owners put up $1m.

But thanks for this new twist on what purse earnings really means. Now we know that the New Twist DWC purse is really $8.8m since the first 6 are all guaranteed $200k.

But at least you backed off your implication that Stronach wasn't really "buying" the 3 unsold slots even if you wouldn't just admit you were wrong.
You're writing is at about the same level as your math. I have no idea what you are trying to say. Google Translate was no help. Are you now saying there will be only 9 horses in the race? Frank "bought" the slots to try to turn around and sell them and fill the field.

Everyone else can see what I'm saying. The fact you can't is on you, not me.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:31 PM   #65
Spalding No!

Quote:
You're writing is at about the same level as your math. I have no idea what you are trying to say. Google Translate was no help. Are you now saying there will be only 9 horses in the race? Frank "bought" the slots to try to turn around and sell them and fill the field.

The guaranteed part is technically only 4th through 12th, which receive about 4% of the purse at $650K. So technically only 9 of the 12 runners are getting a "guaranteed" starter fee--which in CA anyways would not be included in the total value of the race. The top 3 finishers would race for the remaining $10.15 million.

Regardless, your post about the "absurdity continuing" has certainly not lost any steam.

Here is the latest press release for the PWC from the Stronach Group:

The Stronach Group announced today that nine of 12 contenders have been confirmed for the second running of the G1 Pegasus World Cup Invitational.

The nine confirmed starters for the 2018 Pegasus World Cup Invitational as of December 15, 2017, are as follows (listed alphabetically):

Collected
Owner: Speedway Stable LLC. Trainer: Bob Baffert

Gunnevera
Owner: William C. Gallo, et al. Trainer: Antonio Sano

Gun Runner
Owner: Winchell Thoroughbreds LLC/Three Chimneys Farm. Trainer: Steve Asmussen

Seeking the Soul
Owner: Charles E. Fipke. Trainer: Dallas Stewart

Stellar Wind
Owner: Mrs. John Magnier, Michael Tabor, Derrick Smith (Coolmore). Trainer: Chad Brown

Toast of New York
Owner: Al Shaqab, Reeves Thoroughbred Racing, R.A. Hill, Eric Young. Trainer: James Osborne

To Be Announced
Owner: Adena Springs. Trainer: TBA
Adena Springs is owned by the Stronach Family, the innovators behind the Pegasus World Cup Invitational. Adena Springs bred Shaman Ghost, who finished second in the inaugural running of the Pegasus World Cup Invitational.

War Story/Game Over
Owner: Ron Paolucci and Ashley Quartarolo. Trainer: Jorge Navarro

West Coast
Owner: Gary and Mary West. Trainer: Bob Baffert

Last edited by Spalding No!; 12-20-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2017, 07:53 PM   #66
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2017, 07:59 PM   #67
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:

I didn't think 12-3=9 would be too tough for you. Obviously it was.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:44 PM   #68
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
The Stronach Group announced today that nine of 12 contenders have been confirmed
Old 12-20-2017, 10:53 PM   #69
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I’m unloading on “To be announced”
Old 12-20-2017, 11:25 PM   #70
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
I’m unloading on “To be announced”
Who'll ride, No Boy?
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2017, 11:50 PM   #71
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
The guaranteed part is technically only 4th through 12th, which receive about 4% of the purse at $650K. So technically only 9 of the 12 runners are getting a "guaranteed" starter fee--which in CA anyways would not be included in the total value of the race. The top 3 finishers would race for the remaining $10.15 million.

Regardless, your post about the "absurdity continuing" has certainly not lost any steam.

Here is the latest press release for the PWC from the Stronach Group:

The Stronach Group announced today that nine of 12 contenders have been confirmed for the second running of the G1 Pegasus World Cup Invitational.

The nine confirmed starters for the 2018 Pegasus World Cup Invitational as of December 15, 2017, are as follows (listed alphabetically):

Collected
Owner: Speedway Stable LLC. Trainer: Bob Baffert

Gunnevera
Owner: William C. Gallo, et al. Trainer: Antonio Sano

Gun Runner
Owner: Winchell Thoroughbreds LLC/Three Chimneys Farm. Trainer: Steve Asmussen

Seeking the Soul
Owner: Charles E. Fipke. Trainer: Dallas Stewart

Stellar Wind
Owner: Mrs. John Magnier, Michael Tabor, Derrick Smith (Coolmore). Trainer: Chad Brown

Toast of New York
Owner: Al Shaqab, Reeves Thoroughbred Racing, R.A. Hill, Eric Young. Trainer: James Osborne

To Be Announced
Owner: Adena Springs. Trainer: TBA
Adena Springs is owned by the Stronach Family, the innovators behind the Pegasus World Cup Invitational. Adena Springs bred Shaman Ghost, who finished second in the inaugural running of the Pegasus World Cup Invitational.

War Story/Game Over
Owner: Ron Paolucci and Ashley Quartarolo. Trainer: Jorge Navarro

West Coast
Owner: Gary and Mary West. Trainer: Bob Baffert
I'm liking To Be Announced. He's been training well and has been pointed to this race.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2017, 11:51 PM   #72
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
Who'll ride, No Boy?
He had a big win overseas over Further, Information, and Unavailable before shipping in.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2017, 12:15 AM   #73
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
I didn't think 12-3=9 would be too tough for you. Obviously it was.
Thanks Belinda.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:17 AM   #74
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Thanks Belinda.
I'm sure that makes sense to someone.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:54 PM   #75
PaceAdvantage