Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Off-Site Handicapping Contests

Old 01-01-2019, 05:30 PM   #16
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg View Post
Good call today, UC. What's your handle there (if you don't mind me asking)? You already know what mine is

I took Microrithms in the 7th today.
Yep. You already know mine also.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2019, 05:39 PM   #17
ultracapper

There's gonna be some crash and burn today. 2nd most popular horse of the day ran up the track.

I avoided a streak snapper in the 1st by a head.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:33 PM   #18
ultracapper

I very seldom get involved in these "side shows" as I call handicapping tournaments. I don't want them to influence my daily process.

Today I have an interesting horse at a decent price that could light the board, or run up the track. Have another horse in another race that I put at about 90% to hit the board.

I don't want this thing to become a distraction, or to start influencing the way I look at the day ahead. But now it has.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:20 PM   #19
ultracapper

1st, 5th, 8th, 10th and 11th most popular horses ran up the track today. More than 1 out of every 4 players that made a selection today went with Baffert's Coliseum in the 9th. The Tapit colt just never looked the 3/5 part today.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:29 PM   #20
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
I very seldom get involved in these "side shows" as I call handicapping tournaments. I don't want them to influence my daily process.

Today I have an interesting horse at a decent price that could light the board, or run up the track. Have another horse in another race that I put at about 90% to hit the board.

I don't want this thing to become a distraction, or to start influencing the way I look at the day ahead. But now it has.
That's the one I ended up going with. Aussie Fox ran 2nd in the 3rd.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:20 PM   #21
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

I'm curious who you considered possibly to light up the tote board? I guessed it was either ARMS RUNNER...OR SAVAGERY.

I bet 4 horses --1 winner = SPOKANE EAGLE...2 others lost in the final 2 strides =MY MANDATE & BITTER RING HOME..and the 4th horse didn't hit the board=CAYATE.

Guess which horse I played in the contest?

I hate horse-betting....

See ya tomorrow

-NCG
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2019, 08:43 PM   #22
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg View Post
I'm curious who you considered possibly to light up the tote board? I guessed it was either ARMS RUNNER...OR SAVAGERY.

I bet 4 horses --1 winner = SPOKANE EAGLE...2 others lost in the final 2 strides =MY MANDATE & BITTER RING HOME..and the 4th horse didn't hit the board=CAYATE.

Guess which horse I played in the contest?

I hate horse-betting....

See ya tomorrow

-NCG
Haha. I feel ya Greg. You aren't gonna like this but I beat you in the 10th with the horse I thought would be a lot more pricey than $26.60. I didn't play Derby Factor in the tournament because I was pretty sure he wasn't going to be a $100 horse, and that's what is needed now for the high payoff. And he could have hung and been just another also ran in that race. I got lucky at the end of the day and ended up doing everything about as well as I could have. I liked the place horse in the 1st race also, so I was in pretty good shape today.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:33 PM   #23
ultracapper

Andy Beyer, in one of his books, shared a story about how he brought a lady friend to the track one day, as the day went along, she got bored, so they left early for a dinner date, and he missed hitting a healthy exacta in the last race of the day. From there on out, he kept women and handicapping as far apart as possible.

I didn't get my play in today, and only 2 other people played this horse. A real separator. We have to have our picks in by 12:20 local time. At 10:50 my wife sends me to the store. Has me pick up a few things. Then calls me and asks me to pick up one more thing, and run it to her sister's house, 20 minutes out of my way. Jump on the computer at my sister-in-law's, and can't remember my password to log on to Santa Anita's web site. Call my wife, she can't find the password in my home office. Take a couple guesses on my cell phone. Nope. 11:45, 20 minutes from home. Plenty of time. Wife calls again. Stop at 7-11 for cigs. No prob. Couple minutes. But no. The guy behind the counter, known him for years because this is my neighborhood 7-11, has had a cold for 3 days, and needs to tell me every detail of his weekend bed rest. "Steve, buddy, I gotta get home." Charge into the house with bag of groceries. Leave wife's cigs on car seat. 12:18. Charge out there. Grab cigs. Get into home office. Every page takes forever to load. Finally get to selection page, and, too late.

No play today.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:47 PM   #24
ultracapper

Neck away from damning the vile women. Builder in the 5th was selected by only 2 other players today. Just could not hold off the outside stalker. Exciting stretch run. Would have been more so if Builder would have repulsed him. The winner was selected by only 4 players. It was a good "weed them out" race. Would have been nice to have actually gotten my selection in.

Take a 5 race show streak into next week.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:07 PM   #25
ultracapper

I sat the weekend out. After handicapping a race just fine Thursday, I made a blatantly bad decision, then Friday I again handicapped a race just fine, and made a silly bet. It had nothing to do with the tournament, this was with real money. So-o-o-o-o, I thought giving it a rest for the weekend was a good way to lick my wounds.

Good thing. There was a massacre today. After 13 days, only 3 left with a streak of 13 ITM finishers. We have a player with a live 7 race win streak, and that same player leads with a total of 9 wins. The place competition leader has 10. 10 place finishers in 13 races. That's either horrible luck playing perfect into this tournament, or one hell of a handicapper in choosing underneath horses. Highest win pay is $99.80, which is the highest payout of the meet to date. 2 players landed on it. Our own NorCalGreg avoided the disasters of the weekend. He has a 4 race ITM streak alive and well, the last 2 being winners, and 7 total wins for the tournament, a mere 2 behind the leader. Yours truly killed his 5 race ITM streak Thursday, started a new one Friday, and has a soft 2 total wins and 2 places. I've missed 4 of the 13 days by choice or confusion, and in those 9 races I'm 2-2-3.

Need to pick it up. I hope the gal/guy with 9 winners has made some real money one way or another. Obviously to hit 9 of 13 s/he's been sniffing chalk dust, but hopefully has figured out a way to capitalize on a nice run of winners.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:10 PM   #26
ultracapper

Any one else participating is not only welcome, but encouraged to post here. It's been fun to think this thing through and watch what's happening with other tournament players.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:08 PM   #27
ultracapper

This tournament is really interesting. I know it's a low stake, low end event, but honestly it's the first one I've ever participated in. Old dog finds a new twist to an old trick. Fun.

There is only 1 other player on my horse today. Would be great to see her get up.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:03 PM   #28
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

SHOWVIVOR

With the clue you've given...I'll guess your selection today is SENSIBLE THOUGHTS in the 10th.

I forgot about it until I had maybe 5 minutes to make a pick. I couldn't get a "feel" for anything--so with time running out, I punked out and took ROY H in the feature.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:25 PM   #29
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Stakes-Winner MO SOUL must not have looked very impressive--no one claimed him for 16K today. All his earnings from that stakes win probably went to vet bills
Old 01-19-2019, 06:58 PM   #30
trifecta

I had an eight race show streak busted last Sunday, so I started another one yesterday. Today I kept it going so I'm now on a two-race streak, a place yesterday and a win today.

It is kinda fun. Good luck to all who are playing it.
trifecta is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: