Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-18-2020, 02:15 AM   #1
SG4

Gulfstream Park - where is the outrage??

So I expected twitter, these message boards, etc to be on fire today over what transpired at Gulfstream earlier today, but I've essentially seen nothing which means 1 of 2 things - people didn't exactly catch what happened or horseplayers have become so used to garbage treatment by Gulfstream management that we just yawn & shrug & move on.

So here's what transpired: Race 7, the start of the late pick 5, has a post time of 3:49. Right around this time it starts to rain heavily, race is a little late (by GP standards) in getting to the gate, as they start to move into line at around 4pm exactly. At this point, there has been no announcement anywhere (to my knowledge) about the remaining races on the card being moved off the turf. So after half the horses are in line, apparently they realize there's a starting gate malfunction so they back the horses out & get them reset. As about the 3rd of 6 horses has been moved back into line, TVG announces for the first time that the remaining races on the day are off the turf. I see announcer Pete put this up on his twitter at exactly 4pm but it was never conveyed to the TVG audience & I don't know if it was announced on the track feed. Race goes off at 4:05. Equibase doesn't show any surface changes until 4:15pm & scratches start to trickle in after that.

The problem here is that because Gulfstream technically made the announcement before the start of the sequence the 3 off the turf races were not treated as "all win" which usually happens with a late surface change, and instead you were stuck with your horses, or the post time favorite if yours scratched. Of course no favorites won in the sequence, and the horses who won were all big longshots originally, but logical enough on the dirt.

I did not have any bet on this sequence, but still I found the handling of it outrageous, especially for a pool of such a size (ended up at 450k), as this totally screwed over a number of bettors. Gulfstream does have tough calls to make on surface switches with their notoriously unpredictable weather, but they've got to have some common sense to protect the public. Either announce with enough lead time for people to easily cancel & reconfigure their bets, or just hold off for a few minutes & make the surface announcements as soon as the race is over.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2020, 02:46 AM   #2
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
How to get a little $, and really screw yourself in the process. I put my tickets in early, then went and mowed the yard. I did not have time to change 16 tickets after I found out about the rain and all the off turf races. Because of the change's in race 8 esp the distance change. The reason I keyed the was the original 1 1/2 mile distance. I re ran the race, and would have changed all the tickets to keying the . The reason for that is when I ran the race through my computer again, the distance change really made a big difference. In the screenshot notice the green highlighted columns. And notice how for the they match up, where as they do not with the . Still got back $120.00, instead of a really good payout.
The first I heard it announced was about 5 minutes till the race went off. I could have missed a earlier announcement. I did not have time to cancel and re-enter 16 tickets. The first time I ran the race, the looked like the . The distance change was the killer. Got 4 of 5 in the pick 5, not the whole thing.

Last edited by jay68802; 05-18-2020 at 02:48 AM.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2020, 10:22 AM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Anyone expecting honest and professional from GP deserves what they get.

Knowing the rules and knowing that GP doesn't give crap about it's customers, why would you play a series bet when rains was likely?

The starting gate is funny - it has NUMBERS on it, so of course, GP can't handle it - ANYTHING with numbers on it goes wrong eventually at GP! Time, distances, run ups......everything!
Old 05-18-2020, 11:36 AM   #4
Cuffdaddy

Another questionable move by Gulfsteam is leaving MTO entrants live for betting way much to far along in the card

If there are no surface changes prior to the first race then all MTO should be scratched but not at Gulfstream. Its could be three races before the Pick 6 and the MTO are still not removed from the wagering choices. It is even less time than that on some weekend cards.

They force you to handicap the weather along with the races.

Last edited by Cuffdaddy; 05-18-2020 at 11:38 AM.
Cuffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2020, 12:04 PM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffdaddy View Post
Another questionable move by Gulfsteam is leaving MTO entrants live for betting way much to far along in the card

If there are no surface changes prior to the first race then all MTO should be scratched but not at Gulfstream. Its could be three races before the Pick 6 and the MTO are still not removed from the wagering choices. It is even less time than that on some weekend cards.

They force you to handicap the weather along with the races.
Don't the horses have to get Lasix well in advance of the races? If so, how could these horses run? Are they drugging them "just in case?"
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2020, 12:16 PM   #6
jay68802

This is a good idea CJ. I am going to start drugging myself in advance, just in case.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:17 PM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
This is a good idea CJ. I am going to start drugging myself in advance, just in case.
OH, so you are a crack handicapper, huh?
Old 05-18-2020, 12:19 PM   #8
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
OH, so you are a crack handicapper, huh?
Mushroom burgers for lunch.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:20 PM   #9
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Don't the horses have to get Lasix well in advance of the races? If so, how could these horses run? Are they drugging them "just in case?"
All "in today" horses slated to run on Lasix are treated 4 hours prior to their scheduled post time.

What can be an even tougher juggle for horsemen that are hoping to draw into a race is they must be treated with the other race day meds they are going race with from anywhere 24 to 48 hours out.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:26 PM   #10
rispa

Some of us prefer to voice our outrage by wagering at other venues. Its as simple as that.
rispa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2020, 02:28 PM   #11
Suff
Beat up 💪

My medicated horses only run two-turn Grade 1.

Quote:

Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2020, 02:33 PM   #12
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff View Post

Look at the pretty flower.

Old 05-18-2020, 02:47 PM   #13
Suff
Beat up 💪

[QUOTE=jay68802;2604505]Look at the pretty flower.

Random thougt.

All sports are going virtual.
Sports betting is going to be huge.
Federal & State Govt’s will regulate it with new legislation?
Some of the more egregious behavior by racing might be curtailed?

——-
Moving a bet to the post-time favorite.
Imagine I bet the Red Sox +200, its rained out, then the bookmaker placed my bet on the Yankees -450 because its the favorite.

Moving a bet is a crime.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2020, 02:56 PM   #14
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
——-
Moving a bet to the post-time favorite.
Imagine I bet the Red Sox +200, its rained out, then the bookmaker placed my bet on the Yankees -450 because its the favorite.

Moving a bet is a crime.
Used to have bet cards for horizontal wagers, which included the option of picking an alternate....Never understood why it was removed unless something nefarious was proven to be going on.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2020, 03:04 PM   #15
Cuffdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Used to have bet cards for horizontal wagers, which included the option of picking an alternate....Never understood why it was removed unless something nefarious was proven to be going on.
Always used those cards for that option, believe they still are available.

There should be no reason that the alternate selection option cannot be added to the online platform.
Cuffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply