Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 1.31 average.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:59 PM   #196
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Won by 1/2 point as Thunder win by 6. Should have been easy cover except for OT. Won quite a few in a row, might be at 500 by now. I'll add them up next time I lose (or at season's end )
good call , you've been on a roll

game was close until the 'foul game' played out and Durant's class carried them through. Westbrook had a nice clutch mid-range jumper as well.

Knicks can be a fringe-playoff type team when both Melo and Porzingis are having good nights.
Optimally, Fisher can start Porzingis, -but mostly use him like a '6th man' in the rotation, so that the Melo and Porzingis minutes don't completely overlap.
Just has been so few games where both Melo and KP are healthy and productive at the same time. Probably the most frustrating aspect of a much-improved Knicks season thus far.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 01-26-2016 at 11:01 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2016, 01:23 PM   #197
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Taking Thunder -7.5 in Minny tonight. Everything points to OKC being vulnerable...back to back, 3rd game in 4 nights, all on the road, OT last night in NY featuring a gritty, hard fought come back from 11 down in the 4th, etc. But Minnesota stinks and is reeling. No KMart or Big Ticket (not that he really matters), and this team just has trouble scoring points.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-28-2016, 08:41 AM   #198
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Thunder win but no cover, failed to get a late rebound that could have done it. 12-13 on the year. Still not sure what to make of this team...35-13 sounds nice but the eye test isn't that great.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:57 AM   #199
Canarsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Thunder win but no cover, failed to get a late rebound that could have done it. 12-13 on the year. Still not sure what to make of this team...35-13 sounds nice but the eye test isn't that great.
When the playoffs start I can't see Kanter getting more than just a few minutes. Against the Knicks he was PUTRID, it actually looked (looks can be deceiving but not in this case)like he was moving away from the offensive player. He also doesn't exhibit a tremendous amount of hustle something that probably annoys Westbrook more than just a little. He was -13 in eighteen minutes that isn't easily accomplished.

My opinion of Adams was dreadfully wrong I'm not afraid to admit a mistake was made on my part. He has to be licking his chops about his next contract. At bare minimum he should get the same amount that Kanter is getting.
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2016, 03:15 PM   #200
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarsie
When the playoffs start I can't see Kanter getting more than just a few minutes. Against the Knicks he was PUTRID, it actually looked (looks can be deceiving but not in this case)like he was moving away from the offensive player. He also doesn't exhibit a tremendous amount of hustle something that probably annoys Westbrook more than just a little. He was -13 in eighteen minutes that isn't easily accomplished.

My opinion of Adams was dreadfully wrong I'm not afraid to admit a mistake was made on my part. He has to be licking his chops about his next contract. At bare minimum he should get the same amount that Kanter is getting.
Yeah, Adams will get paid.

Kanter is tough. The very next night he was probably the MVP of the game. He is a much better player on offense when he is with the first unit and just cleans up the boards. He is an amazing offensive rebounder and finisher. He definitely has his weaknesses, namely defense, but he'll be a bargain for the next few years when the new salary cap kicks in. I'm still hopeful the D will become adequate, he is only 24.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:10 AM   #201
Canarsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Yeah, Adams will get paid.

Kanter is tough. The very next night he was probably the MVP of the game. He is a much better player on offense when he is with the first unit and just cleans up the boards. He is an amazing offensive rebounder and finisher. He definitely has his weaknesses, namely defense, but he'll be a bargain for the next few years when the new salary cap kicks in. I'm still hopeful the D will become adequate, he is only 24.
If Adams gets paid, personally I would pony up (no pun intended) but what happens to Ibaka? Can they afford paying five players fifteen million and up? They will have two max contracts that's a given.

It's funny since I have been calling the owner a cheapskate. Now if I was in Presti's shoes the temperature would be rising quite a bit. Do you just fill out the roster with exceptions? I guess that's why he's being paid the big bucks because these are decisions that could effect OKC's future for a long period of time. On the other end its a better problem to have compared to be jockeying for the #1 pick.

All the starters were plus against the Wolves and there was Kanter tied for the biggest defecit (-6) of the night. Most people on here know I don't care for him as a defensive player but to consistently wind up in the minus even when your teams wins isn't good.
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2016, 11:47 AM   #202
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarsie
If Adams gets paid, personally I would pony up (no pun intended) but what happens to Ibaka? Can they afford paying five players fifteen million and up? They will have two max contracts that's a given.

It's funny since I have been calling the owner a cheapskate. Now if I was in Presti's shoes the temperature would be rising quite a bit. Do you just fill out the roster with exceptions? I guess that's why he's being paid the big bucks because these are decisions that could effect OKC's future for a long period of time. On the other end its a better problem to have compared to be jockeying for the #1 pick.

All the starters were plus against the Wolves and there was Kanter tied for the biggest defecit (-6) of the night. Most people on here know I don't care for him as a defensive player but to consistently wind up in the minus even when your teams wins isn't good.
I think injuries have taken a toll on Ibaka. He is still a good player, but not what he was a couple years ago. The owner was never a cheapskate, he was trying to set the team up for a long run. They changed the rules on him after the last lockout but they adjusted pretty nicely and are spending. It i sup to Presti now.

Kanter wasn't -6 against Minnesota, he was +3. The game you are talking about was the third Timberwolve game back. Here are his game logs on the season:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/.../gamelog/2016/

His defense isn't great by any stretch, but his offense is really good. A big part of him being in the - is playing a majority of his minutes with DJ (early on before Payne), Waiters, Morrow, Singler, etc. As bad as Kanter is, Augustin and Morrow are even worse on defense. He isn't in the - overall on the season though, he is +.

Last edited by cj; 01-31-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:28 PM   #203
Robert Fischer
clean money

Knicks are 10.5pt dogs @ Madison Square Garden tonight hosting Golden State.

Should actually have BOTH Melo and Kristaps firing away at a somewhat high level tonight.

They could easily finish within about 7 or 8pts here. Alternately they may be just good enough to 'piss off' Golden State.

Golden State not only has the goods, they do fundamental things defensively like switching on screens, that simply put them on another level from teams like the Knicks who are 'just out there playing'.

Still 10.5 is a lot of points, and the Knicks are better than the public thinks when they actually have both of the Big-2 playing well.

Knicks +10.5
Old 01-31-2016, 03:03 PM   #204
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
Knicks are 10.5pt dogs @ Madison Square Garden tonight hosting Golden State.

Should actually have BOTH Melo and Kristaps firing away at a somewhat high level tonight.

They could easily finish within about 7 or 8pts here. Alternately they may be just good enough to 'piss off' Golden State.

Golden State not only has the goods, they do fundamental things defensively like switching on screens, that simply put them on another level from teams like the Knicks who are 'just out there playing'.

Still 10.5 is a lot of points, and the Knicks are better than the public thinks when they actually have both of the Big-2 playing well.

Knicks +10.5
Good writeup!

Fwiw the last time the Knicks faced an elite team, they almost shocked the world winning in San Antonio, so we know they won't be intimidated here.

I'm going to wait till after all star game to start officially picking again, but the Clips looked a little tired the other night vs LAL. 4.5 seems interesting w Chicago here, tricky afternoon game for LAC, this might be a tough one.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2016, 03:11 PM   #205
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Good writeup!

Fwiw the last time the Knicks faced an elite team, they almost shocked the world winning in San Antonio, so we know they won't be intimidated here.

I'm going to wait till after all star game to start officially picking again, but the Clips looked a little tired the other night vs LAL. 4.5 seems interesting w Chicago here, tricky afternoon game for LAC, this might be a tough one.
Clips-Bulls should be another great game to watch.

I'm leaning Bulls+4.5, but I honestly don't know enough about the Clips to call that one. I kind of remember them as a 'paper tiger'. Kind of like the Bengals of the NBA (Start out great, win a bunch of games, fold when the injuries and playoffs arrive). I know you follow them a lot closer.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:24 PM   #206
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Clips-Bulls should be another great game to watch.

I'm leaning Bulls+4.5, but I honestly don't know enough about the Clips to call that one. I kind of remember them as a 'paper tiger'. Kind of like the Bengals of the NBA (Start out great, win a bunch of games, fold when the injuries and playoffs arrive). I know you follow them a lot closer.
Clippers have a heartbeat, they're mentally tougher than meets the eye, their epic series vs SA last year shows what they can do at their best. Their meltdown vs Houston was more a product of playing so hard vs SA they had no legs left. They're a bit inconsistent in that when they look bad they're REALLY bad, so bad that it's easy to come to the conclusion they have no heart, but guys like Redick and Paul are gutty players, Paul 'i called game' Pierce is also a proven winner in big games.

Clips are underrated because people don't like them and the WAY they lose is alarming sometimes, but they're really hard to beat when their head is right, they're deep and still learning and they're really experimenting with a ton of different lineups and whatnut. They'll have a fresh legged Griffin also for the playoffs, I wouldn't want to play these guys in the first round, if Clips finish 4th, they'll get GS in round 2, which is good for everyone else.

When a guy like Lance can't even get on the floor you know the team is deep.

Lance will play today. He was great the other night, Doc will reward him w minutes, expect to see a lot of him today (as long as he's not stinking up the place he will be in there)
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2016, 04:23 PM   #207
Robert Fischer
clean money

Clips up 5 in the first half. I'm streaming it on a p2p server. (works well for me with firefox and an adblock , can google NBA p2p )
Old 01-31-2016, 05:02 PM   #208
Robert Fischer
clean money

Clippers out-classing Chicago here but it's only a 5 pt game...

5:46 left in the 3rd
Old 01-31-2016, 05:34 PM   #209
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Clippers out-classing Chicago here but it's only a 5 pt game...

5:46 left in the 3rd
Score has caught up to the discrepancy in quality. Clippers up 16 mid-way through the 4th.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:45 PM   #210
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Porzingis 2 fouls in the first few minutes 0-0