Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-09-2023, 09:38 AM   #76
Sheffwed

opposite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
I would even argue the pace of finding a play has meaning. The game doesn't fit into people's hectic lifestyles as neatly as something like the NFL. It's still just this daily playground for retirees and people who work in the industry. I find it difficult to justify thoroughly handicapping even a few races 'cold' especially when a person comes to understand the importance of doing the work, watching replays to find an edge in a race, then ultimately seeing the odds and finding no good play is there anyway after burning through a couple of hours. The game can keep pushing long horizontals and that's great for the subset of people who want lottery on horseback. Me personally I don't have the time for that. My one play on the Breeders Cup this year? Zandon -115 to finish ahead of Saudi Crown. Now that's gambling IMO, the horse didn't even run a jump and I still got paid, lol. Those are two horses you could have even been following as a 'casual' fan and then made a sound wager after handicapping a race for all of 45 seconds. When racing finally figures out there's a market for those types of match-up bets then it may finally start to make some serious inroads with sports bettors and the general public. If not then I guess I'll see them when I finally retire. People running the game need to get a clue, most folks who work and have families simply don't have time for the level of effort required here.
I'd say the opposite is true

Horse Racing thrives in the US when it is part of a positive atmosphere, including for families having a day out, think of the Saratoga backyard for example, Del Mar in the summer is a go to, so are Far Hills and Nashville for their popular one day events

Same is true in the UK during Cheltenham or Royal Ascot, they are "must be seen at" events, and are very successful, as is the Kentucky Derby of course as well

Racing thrives in Japan, HK, Australia as above, but not here, specifically when the game is performed in a soulless manner, as it is at Parx or the Big A in winter frankly

It's also why many of us are big fans of Peter Berry (chased from this board by someone who should know better) and Mark Patterson, without which Royal Mountaineer wouldn't be so much fun

Racing in NYC would be better off if they took the winter off - less is more
(if anyone in NYC remembers that there is such a thing as horse racing, no wonder the sport fades when young people flock to the country's most vibrant city are presented with what NYRA has on offer most of the time)

Hence, the Breeders Cup works well at Keeneland, Del Mar and other places where social aspects are considered, and except for this past summer's very disappointing anad disastrous meet, Saratoga should be racing's pinnacle in the US, or at least it was before the summer of 2023 - that's the opportunity to work on

Racing isn't dead in the US, that's been called for since I started being interested in the game in the 1970s, it just needs to be fun and enjoyable and not presented as a dark, dank factory
Sheffwed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2023, 10:07 AM   #77
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheffwed View Post

It's also why many of us are big fans of Peter Berry (chased from this board by someone who should know better) and Mark Patterson, without which Royal Mountaineer wouldn't be so much fun

Racing in NYC would be better off if they took the winter off - less is more
(if anyone in NYC remembers that there is such a thing as horse racing, no wonder the sport fades when young people flock to the country's most vibrant city are presented with what NYRA has on offer most of the time)
First of all, thank you for the comedy that you provide. I mean, I don't know of anywhere someone can pay for hilarity like this.

It is a little hard when I see all those young people that are flocking to NYC and taking the A Train to Aqueduct and their ultimate disappointment.

This is special stuff.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2023, 10:18 AM   #78
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

For betting, winter racing in New York is one of the best things going. People wanting to not have it are crazy.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2023, 10:27 AM   #79
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
For betting, winter racing in New York is one of the best things going. People wanting to not have it are crazy.
But what about the disappointment of the young people flocking to the city???
Old 11-09-2023, 10:42 AM   #80
speldedo

That's why I moved to Phoenix 40 years ago. There may have been "thousands" of people outside while the races were running, but they were all hibernating inside between the races. Maybe we could have another BC at Monmouth Park.
speldedo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2023, 10:50 AM   #81
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
But what about the disappointment of the young people flocking to the city???
He also called it the country's most vibrant city...debatable at this point...

but i digress

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 11-09-2023 at 10:51 AM.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2023, 11:27 AM   #82
Sheffwed

NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
He also called it the country's most vibrant city...debatable at this point...

but i digress
there are more things to do for young people in NYC than anywhere else is the point, sometimes they burn out and leave but the place is a magnet for young people and horse racing is never one of those things young people even consider

(regardless of whatever anyone else thinks of NYC it is very vibrant)

I'm glad NY State is investing in the sport's future, but investing in NYC as opposed to racing in another part of NY State is pretty risky considering there's no interest in the sport at all at this point from NYC and the suburbs, full of people with disposable income - as in literally zero interest
Old 11-09-2023, 12:03 PM   #83
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

You longing for the days when aprons are packed on a Wednesday afternoon are long gone, and you know it...EVERYWHERE...

Except for the rare boutique or spotlight meet every year...and even then...

So I'm not sure what you're talking about or why you single out NY.

Oh wait, I do know why...
Old 11-09-2023, 12:33 PM   #84
dilanesp

Just an indicator of what the BC is all about these days, after closing off the infield for both BC days, Santa Anita had it open on Sunday. So it's obviously not a staffing issue or anything-- the Breeders' Cup just wanted it closed because it doesn't want ordinary people attending its event.

The next 2 years, with capped attendance at Del Mar, it will get its wish.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2023, 02:23 PM   #85
bisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Gulfstream is way better.
bisket is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2023, 02:24 PM   #86
jimmyb

Quote:
First of all, thank you for the comedy that you provide. I mean, I don't know of anywhere someone can pay for hilarity like this.

It is a little hard when I see all those young people that are flocking to NYC and taking the A Train to Aqueduct and their ultimate disappointment.

This is special stuff.
Thank you for the 5th race winner today. Paid off at 11/1
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2023, 02:31 PM   #87
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
Thank you for the 5th race winner today. Paid off at 11/1
I did it for the kids flocking to NYC and Aqueduct!
Old 11-09-2023, 05:58 PM   #88
Sheffwed

nope

Quote:
I did it for the kids flocking to NYC and Aqueduct!
young people are also well known to flock to quirky people who pepper their conversations with doses of odd, unexplainable negativity
Old 11-09-2023, 06:27 PM   #89
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheffwed View Post
young people are also well known to flock to quirky people who pepper their conversations with doses of odd, unexplainable negativity
and yet...
Old 11-09-2023, 07:13 PM   #90
$w1fT
SaratogaFan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisket View Post
Gulfstream is way better.
One of the best parts of the winter Aqueduct meet (and I completely agree with cj btw) is a break from the Ortiz bros.
$w1fT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply