Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-03-2014, 08:52 PM   #1
taxicab

Doug O'Neil banned from the Breeders Cup this year....

What about his horses ?
Will they still get to run ?
His assistant trainer gets the call ?
And how cowardly is the California Horse Racing Board?.......never a peep out of them.
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-03-2014, 08:55 PM   #2
Stillriledup
Veteran

They should require his horses to transfer to an established trainer to run, not this paper trainer stuff. If Leandro Mora is on the pgm, Doug is still training the horse via cellphone while sipping pina coladas on Manhattan Beach. Oh yeah, and he's also getting his share of the trainer's cut if the horse does well.

Everyone is standing on the soapbox talking about how they want a clean game, but you won't see the owners of GoldenCents and the other horses remove the horse from his barn.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-03-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
horses4courses

Apart from Goldenscents, how many other BC contenders does he have?
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-03-2014, 10:49 PM   #4
stormreveler

Private Zone, but I suppose he can simply be put back under the care of Alfredo Velazquez who trained him for the Vosburgh.
stormreveler is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2014, 02:26 PM   #5
Rex Phinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxicab
What about his horses ?
Will they still get to run ?
His assistant trainer gets the call ?
And how cowardly is the California Horse Racing Board?.......never a peep out of them.
The CHRB had nothing todo with this. It was BC Ltd. they used one of their rules that calls for currently suspended trainers in any state be excluded.

Also if you haven't read Oneills statement. He basically throws his staff under the bus by saying he wasn't even in NY etc etc. I wish someone would stomp his ass, but I'd settle for owners pulling their horses from this guy. Not only is he a cheat but he never owns up to anything.
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2014, 03:57 PM   #6
taxicab

https://www.thoroughbredrulings.com/...learsearch=YES
Old 10-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #7
lamboguy

we had 2 other trainers that got suspended this week as well, Brad Cox and Bruce Levine.

Doug O'Neil has been getting a lot of suspensions. since they gave him the 45 days, his horses have gone 0/19 with none of them hitting the board. i know this because i have a friend that only bets on horses when they announce suspension's. he bets against the horses and claims he is a big winner lifetime with that system.

if he is correct that he can win thinking the horses are not getting the same type of treatments after the trainer gets caught, then i would say there is something wrong with this game.

i suspect that there are plenty of trainers that know how to manipulate the system and are able to put on a good dance and not get caught.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2014, 04:42 PM   #8
Stillriledup
Veteran

It took what, 60 or 70 "violations" to finally kick "Babe" out of the game?

In what walk of life do you get dozens and dozens of chances other than horse racing?

No sport has more tolerance than horse racing.

Cheat, cheat and keep cheating and you never get kicked out. If "Babe" Dutrow was a quiet man who kept under the radar , he would still probably be training despite all his transgressions.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:20 PM   #9
Shelby

http://www.dougoneillracing.com/state.html

Letter that Doug sent out to his owners.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:38 PM   #10
taxicab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby
http://www.dougoneillracing.com/state.html

Letter that Doug sent out to his owners.
Thanks for the post Shelby.
My goodness,does trainer Doug think everybody in the world is stupid ?
This letter is the biggest pantload I've ever read.
So you had to google Oxazepam ay Doug......Just like when your brother Dennis had to google "milkshake" when your horses started showing up TCO2 positive ?
My favorite excuse is the one where WoB could of tested positive because a recently castrated horse (who just happened to be in the stall before WoB) had been given a medication that he urinated out on to the stall floor, and that cost your horse a hot test.......uh huh.
And who doesn't love the always popular "Somebody dropped something in my horses feed by accident" line .......
On a side note: what a wonderful,loving individual you are Doug.......Isn't life just peachy keen.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:30 PM   #11
stormreveler

I agree that O'Neill's excuses and claims of ignorance are laughable. But he did attach the affidavit from Dr. Barker which seems to cast significant doubt on the methods of the commission. I don't know if this doctor is actually some quack who will say anything if given a few hundred bucks or what, but it seems unlikely from reading the document.

I wouldn't want to be punished on the "strength" of the evidence as it seems to exist, gathered and analyzed shoddily.
stormreveler is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-08-2014, 12:02 PM   #12
Stillriledup
Veteran

So, he's not really banned at all, he's just banned from having his name on the program. He's still training the horses via electronic device while sipping pina coladas on Manhattan Beach, he won't lose one horse or one client.

Some punishment.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:29 PM   #13
Track Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
So, he's not really banned at all, he's just banned from having his name on the program. He's still training the horses via electronic device while sipping pina coladas on Manhattan Beach, he won't lose one horse or one client.

Some punishment.
I don't know if this is true. I think pressure is starting to go past the trainer and towards owners. While there may not be current conditions that penalize owners for trainers indiscretions, I believe public outcry extending penalties to owners will soon become a reality. It wouldn't surprise me if owners start making better decisions in advance of that.

Or it will be business as usual like every other aspect of this game
Old 10-08-2014, 03:38 PM   #14
Appy

Who believes horse owners who hired Oneill did not know about the 18 previous violations?
That being the case, why aren't those owners subject to the same suspension as their trainer?
Allowing those horses to run under the name of an assistant merely licenses the violations as noteworthy, but acceptable, practice.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:46 PM   #15
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valento
I don't know if this is true. I think pressure is starting to go past the trainer and towards owners. While there may not be current conditions that penalize owners for trainers indiscretions, I believe public outcry extending penalties to owners will soon become a reality. It wouldn't surprise me if owners start making better decisions in advance of that.

Or it will be business as usual like every other aspect of this game
There needs to be some punishments for owners who continue to employ trainers with laundry lists of violations. You need to make the owners 'do pushups' if the trainer gets caught.

I mean, its not hard, just punish the owners and you'll have many less violations. If ANY violation meant you lose all purse money i bet you would see this stuff stop tomorrow.