Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-28-2019, 10:50 AM   #46
GMB@BP

The bottom line is in the current climate all tracks need to proceed with an abundance of caution. And in the case of today at Del Mar they made the call 4 days in advance which gives the player/fan plenty of chance to adjust their schedules and with no wasted time handicapping. Yet its someone a point of criticism. Crazy agendas.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2019, 11:32 AM   #47
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
great points

There were some interesting plays tomorrow @ Aqueduct, but when in doubt, cancel for the safety.

I had a play last night at Remington. Thought for sure they would cancel, wind gusts 27mph on track and 30mph in the area... Paddock delay looked like a tornado swirling through... but they ran the last few races.
Hopefully you hit!
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2019, 11:44 AM   #48
Southbaygent
TomT

The abundance of caution in SoCal can be partially explained by the media hoopla. How many tracks outside of SoCal have a news media video van onsite just waiting for video of a breakdown. And the ensuing ratings.

PETA was protesting last weekend when I pulled into the Del Mar parking...and some horsemen where there two. Both said “honk” if you support...
Southbaygent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2019, 12:02 PM   #49
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Hopefully you hit!
Got lucky, 5200 for a dime superfecta...

Everything else came up empty.

The false favorite unexpectedly was put on the pace to aggressively duel the best speed in the race.

I had to put a lot of emphasis on the actual good speed, and didn't foresee them dueling. But instead of having the double and a bunch of exacta/tri combos, it helped my 50/1 key run third, and my 16/1 key run 4th.
Good speed finished 5th, and the false fav finished last.

No idea, what, if any, effect that the wind gusts had on any racing. All seemed to come around safely.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:57 PM   #50
biggestal99

Quote:
not a great looking card, but it looks like they had to come off-the-turf, which lead to numerous scratches...
If they had synthetic there would be as many scratches.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2019, 02:37 PM   #51
dilanesp

Quote:
Got lucky, 5200 for a dime superfecta...

Everything else came up empty.

The false favorite unexpectedly was put on the pace to aggressively duel the best speed in the race.

I had to put a lot of emphasis on the actual good speed, and didn't foresee them dueling. But instead of having the double and a bunch of exacta/tri combos, it helped my 50/1 key run third, and my 16/1 key run 4th.
Good speed finished 5th, and the false fav finished last.

No idea, what, if any, effect that the wind gusts had on any racing. All seemed to come around safely.
That's wonderful! Congratulations. Glad you used those horses!
Old 11-28-2019, 02:38 PM   #52
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
If they had synthetic there would be as many scratches.

Allan
We definitely had fewer scratches in bad weather (and no canceled cards) when Hollywood Park was still running on synthetics.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:28 PM   #53
theiman

twitter.com/Jeff_Nahill/status/1200202521823678466

Del Mar has a meeting early tomorrow morning at which time I expect them to cancel tomorrow's card. The main track has taken a lot of water but has been sealed. Weekend turf races could be in jepordy as rain is forcast for tomorrow too.
theiman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2019, 08:32 PM   #54
azeri98

Doubt they ever run again in the slop or even muddy in So Cal, They seem petrified of it.
azeri98 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2019, 08:50 PM   #55
taxicab

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Have you ever gone to the races and seen 3 or 4 cards cancelled? I have, as a bettor, I played what I could. And what makes the horsemen complain? The possible loss of $. If safety getting put first drives the horsemen away, horsemen need to rethink what they are doing. This issue is not about California racing, it is about the whole sport. The sport has catered to the horsemen for a long time now. And have ignored the the problems that this "bias" has caused. The change of this sport, in the US, has started in CA. Fewer drugs and stricter regulations are what is being done, and is needed. The customers and fans should show their support for these changes, not bitch and complain.
By Bill Finley

Having already declared that the “days of permissive medication are over in California,” California Horse Racing Board Chairman Dr. Gregory Ferraro told the TDN that the movement away from medications in the state will be a swift one. Appearing on the TDN Writers’ Room podcast, Ferraro set the timeline for California racing to ban all race-day medications at 12 to 18 months.

“I think you will see major changes in the next 12 to 18 months,” he said. “We have a mandate from the governor to make these changes and we are determined to carry them out. California racing has gone through a crisis recently and out of crisis comes change. That change is we are going to become a no-medication state in the end.”
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2019, 04:31 AM   #56
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxicab View Post
“I think you will see major changes in the next 12 to 18 months,” he said. “We have a mandate from the governor to make these changes and we are determined to carry them out. California racing has gone through a crisis recently and out of crisis comes change. That change is we are going to become a no-medication state in the end.”
What will be interesting is to see who skeedadles out of there.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2019, 09:05 AM   #57
Waquoit

Quote:
Originally Posted by theiman View Post
The San Diego area gets an average of 10" of a rain a year. So 2" of rain is 20% of the yearly total.

The New York City area gets an average of 46" of rain a year. If New York got 20% of the average in one day, or 9.2" of rain, do you think they would run or cancel?
Two inches is two inches.
Waquoit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2019, 12:45 PM   #58
Southbaygent
TomT

Quote:
Originally Posted by theiman View Post
twitter.com/Jeff_Nahill/status/1200202521823678466

Del Mar has a meeting early tomorrow morning at which time I expect them to cancel tomorrow's card. The main track has taken a lot of water but has been sealed. Weekend turf races could be in jepordy as rain is forcast for tomorrow too.
I was sure the would cancel today 11/29 too...canceled my DMR hotel for tonight, lol.

But the entries are up, and the scratches are coming in.
Southbaygent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2019, 07:55 PM   #59
clicknow

Lots of big longshots came in today
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2019, 08:47 PM   #60
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waquoit View Post
Two inches is two inches.
Have you been talking to my ex-wife?
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply