Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-06-2017, 10:36 PM   #76
Prioress Ply

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisket View Post
One other thing. Joe Harper is a stand up guy.
Yeah sure, just ask Ahmed Zayat.
Prioress Ply is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2017, 10:44 PM   #77
theiman

Parking had to be incredibly overpriced as the aerial shots of the track showed the main parking lot, behind the clubhouse turn and near the Surfside Off Track building were half full. However, the dirt lots, on the other side of Jimmy Durante Blvd were full.
What I would have done is park my car at the Solana Beach RR Station and taken the free Double Decker shuttles to the track. Just to play it safe I would have bought an Amtrak ticket from Solana Beach to Oceanside for probably $10 and left the receipt in my car window, so, you wouldnt get a parking ticket, in case they were doing that.
theiman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2017, 10:51 PM   #78
bisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by theiman View Post
Parking had to be incredibly overpriced as the aerial shots of the track showed the main parking lot, behind the clubhouse turn and near the Surfside Off Track building were half full. However, the dirt lots, on the other side of Jimmy Durante Blvd were full.
What I would have done is park my car at the Solana Beach RR Station and taken the free Double Decker shuttles to the track. Just to play it safe I would have bought an Amtrak ticket from Solana Beach to Oceanside for probably $10 and left the receipt in my car window, so, you wouldnt get a parking ticket, in case they were doing that.
Thanks for the tip. I was supposed to stay in Oceanside.
bisket is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2017, 12:27 AM   #79
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

video clip

https://www.americasbestracing.net/v...rf-and-classic
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2017, 12:37 AM   #80
CincyHorseplayer

I've been Joe sour grapes all day. Looking at the replay of Gun Runner wow! Nice moment as a fan of the sport!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2017, 09:49 AM   #81
Southbaygent
TomT

Quote:
That sparsely filled main parking lot was like $125 prepaid/advance sale only with tickets, you could not buy into that parking lot the day of. If you had a prepaid/preferred, it was nice very easy well contolled in/out. I’ve had Pacific Classic days be MUCH bigger parking nightmares
Southbaygent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2017, 09:51 AM   #82
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Haven't you been beating the drum for a long time now that DMR and BC aren't supposed to cater to the hoi polloi?
They make their money serving rich people. That is well known.

But never in my life did I think I would see a major racetrack executive advocate strictly limiting attendance at a major racing event to produce a half empty racetrack.

That is new, and horrible.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2017, 09:54 AM   #83
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Racing is simply following the lead of every other sport for the big events.

Watching on television along with the other 99% of the people who watched, it certainly seemed like a big event. Is it more important to have you feel like it's a big event or should the feelings of most all of the other fans matter?

BTW, there has been almost zero negative press about the BC in the San Diego papers. Most everybody acknowledged that parking and security screening could have been handled better but that was about it.
I don't expect local yokel San Diego reporters to tell the truth. Civic pride, desire to cover the BC, etc.

And we have contemporaneous reports of people on Friday and Saturday saying the place looked empty on television. They posted it here.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:59 AM   #84
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southbaygent View Post
That sparsely filled main parking lot was like $125 prepaid/advance sale only with tickets, you could not buy into that parking lot the day of. If you had a prepaid/preferred, it was nice very easy well contolled in/out. I’ve had Pacific Classic days be MUCH bigger parking nightmares
Cigar (1996) certainly caused parking problems, but the remote lots and shuttles were run better than they were this weekend.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:04 AM   #85
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike View Post
Everything he has posted in this thread is wrong or overstated, except the part about parking. The parking/exiting the lot is not well organized at Del Mar.
Basically everything I said was confirmed contemporaneously by other posters in the live thread.

Our sport has a tendency towards cheerleading. What I have posted is the reality, which I hope BC officials are aware of.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:10 AM   #86
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Basically everything I said was confirmed contemporaneously by other posters in the live thread.

Our sport has a tendency towards cheerleading. What I have posted is the reality, which I hope BC officials are aware of.
So you're saying that Del Mar didn't do a good job? I've read several articles and quotes from the Palick report and other reporters that were positive. With a record on-track handle and a very high overall handle, I don't understand how anyone could say that they did a bad job. Yes, they limited attendance, Belmont does that on Belmont Stakes day. If the track is too crowded you're going to have a lot of complaints about long lines, etc.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2017, 10:46 AM   #87
AndyC

Quote:
I don't expect local yokel San Diego reporters to tell the truth. Civic pride, desire to cover the BC, etc.

And we have contemporaneous reports of people on Friday and Saturday saying the place looked empty on television. They posted it here.
Based on your negative attitude regarding Del Mar hosting the BC going in it doesn't surprise me that you found reasons to back up your opinion. I have talked with many who have told me that they enjoyed DM immensely.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2017, 10:53 AM   #88
LemonSoupKid

Quote:
My dad and I parked in those commercial areas (by a restaurant) across the highway, $6 uber ride away on Friday. No problem. We even ate at the restaurant when we came back, so I don't feel bad (wouldn't have anyways). On Saturday we had box seats, so parking was included.

I actually did well on the undercards for the most part, some close wins and losses. I did figure the track would be random. I was telling people that when you see little kids hitting $50-100 bets, you know you're in for it.

#5 and the word Gold turned out to be great handicapping, lol

All that said, I have no animosity, but I probably wouldn't return. I feel like Santa Anita is the same thing in every way, but better in each of the ways, as well.
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2017, 11:21 AM   #89
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Based on your negative attitude regarding Del Mar hosting the BC going in it doesn't surprise me that you found reasons to back up your opinion. I have talked with many who have told me that they enjoyed DM immensely.
Confirmation bias probably explains his observations. As I mentioned, I believe his parking comments were correct. My understanding is Del Mar doesn't pay up for very many uniformed off-duty police officers. And a lot of motorists simply ignore the parking attendants, creating chaos (hyperbole--really just a slow, disorganized drive out) on the way out. If I had to criticize something else, they should have added additional food counters. It literally took 30 minutes to purchase a hamburger (around 2:30 pm in the grandstand). Even on that front, I can't complain too much -- it was a high-quality burger, not the usual low-end stuff served at such venues.

Overall, the event was great - let's hope they do it again!
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2017, 11:44 AM   #90
onefast99

Quote:
They make their money serving rich people. That is well known.

But never in my life did I think I would see a major racetrack executive advocate strictly limiting attendance at a major racing event to produce a half empty racetrack.

That is new, and horrible.
Question what major sporting event doesn't do the same thing for their big day?