Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library

Old 11-14-2017, 03:43 PM   #1
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Betting with an Edge --- Mike Maloney

https://shop.drf.com/thoroughbred-wagering

Mike talks about it here:

http://www.drf.com/blogs/drf-players...vember-14-2017

I've read some of this already. I think even Gus will like it!
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2017, 03:45 PM   #2
CincyHorseplayer

Bought it! Thanks for the tip CJ.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2017, 05:57 PM   #3
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post

https://shop.drf.com/thoroughbred-wagering

Mike talks about it here:

http://www.drf.com/blogs/drf-players...vember-14-2017

I've read some of this already. I think even Gus will like it!
I will supply a thorough book-review as soon as I read it.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:01 PM   #4
detective

betting with an edge

Hi, Any one that has the book can you tell me if there is any good handicapping methods or money management or is the book just babble about this and that...Thanks
detective is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2017, 10:24 PM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by detective View Post
Hi, Any one that has the book can you tell me if there is any good handicapping methods or money management or is the book just babble about this and that...Thanks
Not sure why it would be just babble about this and that, but I'm sure thask will give an honest assessment.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:08 AM   #6
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Listening to the above podcast gives some insights. Sounds like one chapter on the mentality needed to be pro level gambler. And how to address that with prospective spouse and gf or bf. Pretty sure I've not seen that before.

Last edited by FakeNameChanged; 11-29-2017 at 08:22 AM.
FakeNameChanged is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2017, 10:45 AM   #7
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Forget yet another handicapping the races book. We need more "playing the game" in real life and real time books.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2017, 11:56 AM   #8
thaskalos

The problem with our game is that the handicapping books don't turn much of a profit for their authors these days...and the monetary incentive simply isn't there for the emergence of a truly "revolutionary" handicapping work. Nor are the game's mutuel pools large enough to withstand the radical change that a truly "groundbreaking" handicapping book would bring about.

The handicapping books that we read state at the outset the "disclaimer" that there are no "secrets" to the handicapping process of the expert player...but that simply isn't the case. OF COURSE there are "handicapping secrets" that the expert players use! But these handicapping insights must remain secrets...because the expert players can make much more money by using them at the betting windows, than by writing about them.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:07 PM   #9
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
The problem with our game is that the handicapping books don't turn much of a profit for their authors these days...and the monetary incentive simply isn't there for the emergence of a truly "revolutionary" handicapping work. Nor are the game's mutuel pools large enough to withstand the radical change that a truly "groundbreaking" handicapping book would bring about.

The handicapping books that we read state at the outset the "disclaimer" that there are no "secrets" to the handicapping process of the expert player...but that simply isn't the case. OF COURSE there are "handicapping secrets" that the expert players use! But these handicapping insights must remain secrets...because the expert players can make much more money by using them at the betting windows, than by writing about them.
I don't like to be cynical, but some deeply held feeling I have informs me that even the so called experts are subjected to the internal shenanigans in this sport....a sport where humans train and control the movements of horses and not the other way around...the best horse often does not win...the experts here are clearly in league with the insiders and the art of skilled handicapping is only one part of the theatrical scenery and often not the decisive one...the self- interested nature of human beings, being what it is...

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 11-29-2017 at 09:12 PM.
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2017, 10:09 PM   #10
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
I don't like to be cynical, but some deeply held feeling I have informs me that even the so called experts are subjected to the internal shenanigans in this sport....a sport where humans train and control the movements of horses and not the other way around...the best horse often does not win...the experts here are clearly in league with the insiders and the art of skilled handicapping is only one part of the theatrical scenery and often not the decisive one...the self- interested nature of human beings, being what it is...
That's why handicapping the humans is every bit as important as handicapping the horses.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2017, 04:36 PM   #11
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
That's why handicapping the humans is every bit as important as handicapping the horses.
Yep, and in some races even more important.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:55 PM   #12
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
One of my greatest weaknesses when I was playing every day. And I hated it
Old 11-30-2017, 05:13 PM   #13
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Yep, and in some races even more important.
Which of course begs the question of how exactly that is done.
Sometimes, one can pick up stuff in the walking ring as trainers interact with jockey...I saw a video of Bob Baffert in the walking ring on Breeder Cup race...clearly he favored Collected over Arrogate as he was legging Martin Garcia up...what others ways can we handicap the trainers....?

Sometimes the presence of an entry may signal a higher intent to win with at least one of the runners...a friend of mine said that if you see connections all dressed up, (like they are ready to pose for pictures) that is a good sign, what have you noticed...?
Old 11-30-2017, 05:18 PM   #14
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
Which of course begs the question of how exactly that is done.
Sometimes, one can pick up stuff in the walking ring as trainers interact with jockey...I saw a video of Bob Baffert in the walking ring on Breeder Cup race...clearly he favored Collected over Arrogate as he was legging Martin Garcia up...what others ways can we handicap the trainers....?

Sometimes the presence of an entry may signal a higher intent to win with at least one of the runners...a friend of mine said that if you see connections all dressed up, (like they are ready to pose for pictures) that is a good sign, what have you noticed...?
A friend of mine learned how to read lips...so he could decipher the conversations between the trainers and the jockeys in the paddock.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:42 PM   #15
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
A friend of mine learned how to read lips...so he could decipher the conversations between the trainers and the jockeys in the paddock.
If I didn't know you better Gus I would think you are putting me on...I can only imagine... "Now remember, break real slow, then go to the front real hard and open up 3 or 4 right away, take him wide and do only enough to get third...Clem and I are singled to his horse only..."

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: