Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 06-27-2016, 08:41 AM   #1
Partsnut
BetMix User

Pace Of The Race Software ???

I haven't heard anything lately about the Pace Of The Race Software.
Is this on the back burner?
Is a future release forth coming?
Possibly I may have missed the latest update.
Please fill me in.
Partsnut is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2016, 09:49 AM   #2
Dave Schwartz

If you mean, Pace Makes the Race, it is back to being developed again. I have hired a new programmer and he's in the process of getting re-started with it.

Dave
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2016, 12:07 PM   #3
Boulder

Pace Makes the Race

Dave,

Any Idea when it might be available?
Boulder is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2016, 01:14 PM   #4
Dave Schwartz

I am very disappointed in the entire process. I must say that if it comes at all, possibly towards the end of the year.

I have redesigned the project, removing the connections to HSH and making it just a no-data product.

Please understand that funding an all-but-free-get-the-money-back-someday-somehow is a very difficult endeavor.

I am really working at this.

It is about an 800-hour project.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:30 PM   #5
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

No-data product?
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2016, 06:05 PM   #6
Dave Schwartz

Yes. That was the original design of the software.

It is a form of manual entry, where you capture the entries/program from somewhere and enter whatever data you want to use.

In the case of a pace handicapping approach, one would (logically) have to enter some pace line information. In the case of more factor-based approaches, one would enter data in other ways.

For example, in an approach that was using ranks, you'd have to pick from 1st, 2nd, 3rd, front-half, rear-half.

Another example - my favorite - would be a Fuzzy Handicapping approach where one would designate each horse to be:

Excellent (5)
Good (4)
Average (3)
Fair (2)
Poor (1)

In an approach such as this one, the scale is open at the top. Thus, even though "5" is where most horses would be, in a race where Chrome was entered against non-winners of 2 lifetime he might deserve a "9."

The ultimate goal is to build a program where the inputs could be imported in the shape of probabilities, even after being exported from some other program!

Lots of possibilities. That's what I design. But this time I am trying to start the data needs on a much lower level: just whatever you want to use.

The question, of course, becomes, "How do I monetize such a program in order to cover its cost and make a profit?" That is a valid question. Originally I had planned on a subscription model, and that could still happen. The real issue with that model is that horseplayers are famous for not liking subscriptions.

I have some other ideas, but am always open to new ones.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:06 PM   #7
mikesal57
Veteran

Dave..

You say its a 800 hour job....at about $25/HR...its comes to $20,000

You have to be real honest with yourself and ask can I make that back?

Without seeing anything , there are 2 reg flags in reading with what you said..

One you mentioned..subscription...people just want what they want...no more than what they use..a simple drf download

The other is "manual" ...once I hear manual entries ...its over!!
You can go just so far till your done inputting stuff...

This is just my opinion and I'm not being an ass...just straight with you

Mike
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2016, 07:29 PM   #8
Partsnut
BetMix User

Dave,

It's unfortunate that you had such difficulty with the project.
I'm sure your intentions were of the best and you were trying to provide a quality product.
Sometimes things just don't work out.
I guess it's just like horse racing.
Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.
Oh well.

I was looking forward to your release.
Hopefully, the project will be feasable at a future date.
Good luck. Keep me in the loop.
Partsnut is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2016, 08:08 PM   #9
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesal57
Dave..

You say its a 800 hour job....at about $25/HR...its comes to $20,000

You have to be real honest with yourself and ask can I make that back?

Without seeing anything , there are 2 reg flags in reading with what you said..

One you mentioned..subscription...people just want what they want...no more than what they use..a simple drf download

The other is "manual" ...once I hear manual entries ...its over!!
You can go just so far till your done inputting stuff...

This is just my opinion and I'm not being an ass...just straight with you

Mike
I really wish I could get a reliable programmer for $25 per hour. More like $40-$60. If you pay less you get a guy that will take 4 times as long, not finish, and leave as soon as he gets a $40 job.

My biggest issue is that I cannot afford ME.

re: Manual Entry
I encourage you to not think of it this way.

This program is designed as an Optimizer of whatever you are doing now.

I seriously do not care what program a player is using now - including HSH. The end result can always be optimized.

Think, instead, that someone is using a piece of software that produces picks (or they are handicapping by hand) and the end result of that handicapping winds up in the optimizer.

Dave

PS: We've got a new guy on the forum who has recently released his own software. Let's not get too involved here with my software that is currently not much more than vaporware. Maybe its time will come.

Last edited by Dave Schwartz; 06-27-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:42 PM   #10
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz

This program is designed as an Optimizer of whatever you are doing now.

I seriously do not care what program a player is using now - including HSH. The end result can always be optimized.

Think, instead, that someone is using a piece of software that produces picks (or they are handicapping by hand) and the end result of that handicapping winds up in the optimizer.

Dave

PS: We've got a new guy on the forum who has recently released his own software. Let's not get too involved here with my software that is currently not much more than vaporware. Maybe its time will come.
Got it...its like an Advanced Monty to what I have now...

OK...let me go bash that other guy..

Mike
Old 06-29-2016, 11:28 AM   #11
SandyW

Manual input, didn't we do that 15 years ago??? You stay up to 3:00 AM doing all the work and then it rains. Been there, done that, not for me.
Way to many tracks running these days for manual input.
It is very tough to go backwards in time.
SandyW is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2016, 11:37 AM   #12
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyW
Manual input, didn't we do that 15 years ago??? You stay up to 3:00 AM doing all the work and then it rains. Been there, done that, not for me.
Way to many tracks running these days for manual input.
It is very tough to go backwards in time.

Its not like that...read carefully post #9

mike
Old 07-01-2016, 11:46 PM   #13
traveler

Seems like a lot of time and effort to throw away thousands of dollars on a product for a very limited market. You got to know when to fold 'em.
traveler is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2016, 10:14 AM   #14
traynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
I really wish I could get a reliable programmer for $25 per hour. More like $40-$60. If you pay less you get a guy that will take 4 times as long, not finish, and leave as soon as he gets a $40 job.
I don't understand this at all, unless it is an exploratory project (for which someone other than a programmer should be doing the work). Basically, the only time it is worthwhile to hire a programmer is when the end result is clearly defined (including the interim steps necessary to generate that end result). Until that point is reached, one needs an analyst and/or designer, not a programmer.

Especially in the price range you cite above, most programmers expect (and absolutely need) a crystal clear objective, and at the absolute minimum, detailed flow charts and pseudocode indicating how that objective is to be achieved.

I understand that you know all this already, and my comments are intended for other readers who may make no distinctions about what programmers actually do. Few things are more costly than hiring a programmer on an hourly basis to produce something only vaguely defined. If the project is clearly defined, so is the cost--before the first line of (contract) code is written. If the project is not clearly defined enough to get a delivered bid price that is guaranteed to meet specific criteria, it is still in the initial design phase, not the programmer stage.

Programmers love hourly rate open-ended, vaguely defined fishing expeditions. Especially SCRUM or Extreme (pairs) programmers. Lots of flurry and "incremental deliverables" with little (if any) real desire (or motivation) to actually complete the project. The IT equivalent of a "cost plus" construction or remodeling project. No one, except the person or entity hiring the work done, has any incentive to do much more than continue milking the cash cow.

Last edited by traynor; 07-02-2016 at 10:16 AM.
traynor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2016, 04:21 PM   #15
Dave Schwartz

Oh, there's a plan. Not "open ended" as you called it.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: