Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-10-2020, 10:00 PM   #76
Sysonby

This time it has bipartisan support, and McConnell is committed to seeing it happen.
Sysonby is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2020, 11:24 PM   #77
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
Look how long it was going on before they nabbed 'em.

But again, Navarro and Servis aren't as famous as Baffert.

Like I said, you take Baffert out like this, the sheer PR would kill racing. This is the "too big to fail" deal.

And that is precisely why it won't happen.
Shounds like one o dem confounded conspiracy theorems to me...
Old 09-11-2020, 04:09 AM   #78
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sysonby View Post
This time it has bipartisan support, and McConnell is committed to seeing it happen.
Not sure what you mean by "this time"?

It had bipartisan support back in 2015 when Tonko (D) and Barr (R) introduced H.R. 2651. In 2017 it was reintroduced, with bipartisan support, in the House
by Reps. Andy Barr (R-Ky.) and Paul Tonko (D-N.Y.), who co-chaired the Congressional Horse Caucus. Then, the Senate's version (S 1820) (HR 1754/S 1820) was introduced by Sens. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) and Martha McSally (R-Ariz.).

The newly reintroduced H.R. 1754 mirrors the same-named H.R. 2651 from 2015, which the members introduced during the 115th Congress and which garnered the bipartisan support of more than 130 representatives, but stalled in subcommittee.

At any rate hope it gets somewhere this time.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2020, 04:16 AM   #79
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Shounds like one o dem confounded conspiracy theorems to me...
Guess I've been reading thru too many of the older (and numerous) "super trainer" posts here.

At any rate, I stand by what I said. Servis and Navarro going down is nothing compared to what would happen if Baffert did, due to name-recognition by the general public.

Of course, most trainers don't have their state racing boards like CHRB protecting them behind closed doors and holding special meetings on their behalf, either, so there's that.

I saw that as rather "special treatment." Maybe others do not.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2020, 11:14 AM   #80
dilanesp

Quote:
Guess I've been reading thru too many of the older (and numerous) "super trainer" posts here.

At any rate, I stand by what I said. Servis and Navarro going down is nothing compared to what would happen if Baffert did, due to name-recognition by the general public.

Of course, most trainers don't have their state racing boards like CHRB protecting them behind closed doors and holding special meetings on their behalf, either, so there's that.

I saw that as rather "special treatment." Maybe others do not.
It was special treatment.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2020, 12:35 PM   #81
pandy

Quote:
Look how long it was going on before they nabbed 'em.

But again, Navarro and Servis aren't as famous as Baffert.

Like I said, you take Baffert out like this, the sheer PR would kill racing. This is the "too big to fail" deal.

And that is precisely why it won't happen.
Yes, the CHRB in particular has protected Baffert, but they know that he's a cheater, as does everyone who has half a brain.

I have compiled some details about his drug violations which I'll be publishing on my Facebook page tomorrow morning.

Once the Horseracing Integrity and Safety Act is passed, I think that will make it harder for racing boards like CHRB to be complicity in cheating. For instance, they "found no wrongdoing" in the deaths of his 7 horses. If they made that decision after there was federal oversight, it would be reviewed and they'd look bad.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2020, 01:12 PM   #82
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
Yes, the CHRB in particular has protected Baffert, but they know that he's a cheater, as does everyone who has half a brain.

I have compiled some details about his drug violations which I'll be publishing on my Facebook page tomorrow morning.

Once the Horseracing Integrity and Safety Act is passed, I think that will make it harder for racing boards like CHRB to be complicity in cheating. For instance, they "found no wrongdoing" in the deaths of his 7 horses. If they made that decision after there was federal oversight, it would be reviewed and they'd look bad.
I would be interested to see this for some other trainers as well so there is context.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2020, 05:27 PM   #83
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I would be interested to see this for some other trainers as well so there is context.
An article in the NY Times a few years ago had interesting stats on drug violations per start, which is probably the best way to track this problem. Baffert was in the top three along with Rudy Rodriguez and John Sadler. Just for context, Graham Motion had over 10,000 starters and zero drug violations. Baffert had a similar amount of starters and 23, or more, drug violations. I say, "or more", because he's still getting them on a regular basis.

Last edited by pandy; 09-12-2020 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-12-2020, 06:13 PM   #84
GMB@BP

Quote:
An article in the NY Times a few years ago had interesting stats on drug violations per start, which is probably the best way to track this problem. Baffert was in the top three along with Rudy Rodriguez and John Sadler. Just for context, Graham Motion had over 10,000 starters and zero drug violations. Baffert had a similar amount of starters and 23, or more, drug violations. I say, "or more", because he's still getting them on a regular basis.
do rudy rodriguez and john sadler get stalls or are they banned?
Old 09-12-2020, 09:01 PM   #85
Spalding No!

Quote:
Just for context, Graham Motion had over 10,000 starters and zero drug violations.
Graham Motion has at least 2 medication violations in the past 5 years, one of which led to a disqualification from a graded stakes victory.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2020, 10:27 PM   #86
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
Graham Motion has at least 2 medication violations in the past 5 years, one of which led to a disqualification from a graded stakes victory.
oops, I am sure there is someone out there who is clean. How about Shug, dont remember his name with any violations.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:37 PM   #87
Spalding No!

Quote:
oops, I am sure there is someone out there who is clean. How about Shug, dont remember his name with any violations.
He recently had one at Belterra Park of all places trying to get a maiden win for some broodmare prospect sired by Tapit. Suspended for 15 days.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2020, 12:03 PM   #88
pandy

Quote:
Shug had one listed in the original NY Times report.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:05 PM   #89
pandy

I posted the piece about Baffert on my Facebook page, if anyone's interested.

Having a positive for every several thousand starts is one thing. Baffert has one every 500 starts, which is an astoundingly high rate.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:50 PM   #90
CaptainObvious

What was Arrogate’s official cause of death?
CaptainObvious is offline   Reply With Quote Reply