Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-15-2022, 04:18 PM   #1
SG4

Gulfstream drops quinella pool after manipulation

So I think all horseplayers can agree that pool manipulation is a worry, but primarily regarding bets being cancelled. In this situation, Gulfstream is protecting offshore bookmakers, who I would imagine are simply a parasite on their product. I wish they showed this much interest in helping the bettors actually playing the track through their pools, as there are a number of complaints about the GP product.

I've seen a few obvious pool manipulations in the last year or 2 at a variety of places, and I guess my question is if you see it happening & therefore creating lots of value in the parimutuel pool, should players be upset by this? If offshore books keep taking a hit cause they're too stupid to allow this to happen, why shouldn't those paying attention here profit?

https://www.drf.com/news/gulfstream-...en-manipulated
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2022, 04:30 PM   #2
iamt

Personally as long as all money bet into a pool stays in the pool, ie no cancellations, I think all is fair. If these players want to take a risk on getting paid out off-shore it is on them.
iamt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2022, 05:32 PM   #3
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamt View Post
Personally as long as all money bet into a pool stays in the pool, ie no cancellations, I think all is fair. If these players want to take a risk on getting paid out off-shore it is on them.
exactly.

I am ignorant. Looks like someone may have been a little heavy handed, and greedy...

If it's exploiting the off-shore market, I think Gulfstream will continue to take measures
Old 11-15-2022, 05:45 PM   #4
classhandicapper

Setting aside "manipulation" being a word tracks and players generally don't want to hear, I don't see why GP would care. Their handle got a boost and the pools are the pools. If those big bets created large inefficiencies, that was good for the smartest players and in this case even good for most chalk players. Who cares about the profits of offshore bookmakers that are taking handle away from the track and who cares if these players don't get paid?

Last edited by classhandicapper; 11-15-2022 at 05:48 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2022, 05:50 PM   #5
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
Setting aside "manipulation" being a word tracks and players generally don't want to hear, I don't see why GP would care. Their handle got a boost and the pools are the pools. If those big bets created large inefficiencies, that was good for the smartest players and in this case even good for most chalk players. Who cares about the profits of offshore bookmakers that are taking handle away from the track and who cares if these players don't get paid?
Couldn't agree more.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2022, 05:56 PM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Couldn't agree more.
Yep, seems silly, you guys nailed it. What is funny is it is very unlikely the people that tried to get over will actually get paid.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2022, 06:11 PM   #7
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Yep, seems silly, you guys nailed it. What is funny is it is very unlikely the people that tried to get over will actually get paid.
you are right, they won't pay
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2022, 06:23 PM   #8
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
Back when the NFL had no "interest" in gambling, they were still interested if the Las Vegas bookmakers thought there was something shady going on, right?
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2022, 07:01 PM   #9
iamt

But there is no suggestion there is anything shady going on here with the event. The closest NFL equivalent is a sharp having a small bet to move the line and then coming in heavy on the other side.

I can only assume GP with the small size of the pool just prefer not to have headlines linking them to "manipulation" or illegal books.
iamt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2022, 08:01 PM   #10
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

If this happened at NYRA, you guys would be saying it was the SHADIEST OF SLIM SHADYS....
Old 11-15-2022, 09:13 PM   #11
deelo

I'd say someone was either new to manipulation or just got greedy. Probably screwed themselves with the off-shore books...sucks to suck!
Old 11-16-2022, 03:24 AM   #12
Poindexter

Very interesting. A bettor bet $18,000 into a tiny quinella pool using a little chance longshot, so they eliminate the quinella pool. Have to agree with the consensus here. If this player is able to get away with it, by extracting money from offshore sports books, more power to him. That is between him and the offshore books he is betting with. I am missing the integrity angle. Said bettor is just trying to scam offshore books, will be caught and stiffed soon enough and this problem will self correct. If it doesn't correct, even better for the other bettors. I do not see any justification for even caring, let alone eliminating the bet and the bettor.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: