Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 11-14-2014, 05:25 PM   #16
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
he was a good man that took me to the cleaner's. but i had a whole lot of war stories with him.

one of the best ones i had was at the Ft. Lauderdale Airport. i am with Jimmy and this other fellow that was nick-named "the coach". we go to the gate and they tell us there's going to be a 2 hour delay. i said we can play some gin rummy, the greek say's i am to good for them. the coach comes up with a brainstorm, how about some closest to the wall? i thought to myself, i have no problem with that, i'm a veteran of that game too. the greek says he'll play as long as i pick up the quarter's after each throw. i said sure thing. we are playing for $50 a pitch. after about an hour and a half i am ahead about $1700. all of a sudden the girl announces there is a further delay with the flight to New York due to mechanical problems. we keep playing and my back gets sore from picking up the quarters all the time. by the time we board the plane 5 hours delayed i lost back the $1700 i was ahead and lost about $1000 a piece to each of them!
great story
Old 11-14-2014, 05:37 PM   #17
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
he was a good man that took me to the cleaner's. but i had a whole lot of war stories with him.

one of the best ones i had was at the Ft. Lauderdale Airport. i am with Jimmy and this other fellow that was nick-named "the coach". we go to the gate and they tell us there's going to be a 2 hour delay. i said we can play some gin rummy, the greek say's i am to good for them. the coach comes up with a brainstorm, how about some closest to the wall? i thought to myself, i have no problem with that, i'm a veteran of that game too. the greek says he'll play as long as i pick up the quarter's after each throw. i said sure thing. we are playing for $50 a pitch. after about an hour and a half i am ahead about $1700. all of a sudden the girl announces there is a further delay with the flight to New York due to mechanical problems. we keep playing and my back gets sore from picking up the quarters all the time. by the time we board the plane 5 hours delayed i lost back the $1700 i was ahead and lost about $1000 a piece to each of them!
I used to play that game, was REALLY fun to play. We would play on a step that was about 2 inches high, so you would get extra credit if you "leaned" the quarter on the wall and extra credit if you got the quarter to bounce up on the step.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2014, 06:04 PM   #18
banacek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard
. Besides, Gruden I can name several others, including,Bill Cowher, who won the big game and yet haven't been offered another job.
From what I have read they both have been offered positions. Why would they leave...Gruden makes $4 million..a lot easier job.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ck-to-coaching
Your little winning streak
banacek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2014, 06:06 PM   #19
horses4courses

Quote:

Old school.....great stuff

Lambo, "the coach" wasn't a big tall guy (shaved head, close to 300 lbs), was he?
I knew a guy in the late 80s/early 90s - everyone called him
"coach", but his name was Dick something. He was pretty sharp, and
his specialty was greyhounds. Maybe not the same guy, though.
He always wore shorts, too.

Gruden is torture to listen to.
Great football mind, fine coach, but I don't want to hear him.

I wish Al Michaels called every game.
I could probably put up with Gruden, or anyone,
if Michaels is calling the play by play.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2014, 06:37 PM   #20
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by banacek
From what I have read they both have been offered positions. Why would they leave...Gruden makes $4 million..a lot easier job.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ck-to-coaching
The article doesn't state that either has been offered a NFL head coaching position? - I don't believe they have been. Maybe college positions, but that's not what I'm talking about.

When the Eagles head coaching position was available (after they fired Andy Reid), it was reported( through his agent or whatever) that Gruden was interested in it.

I stand by my statement that they would take one if offered, but they haven't been. And about half the NFL head coaches make more than $4 million. TV commentating may be easier, but is it more fun? It's like being General of an army. You have all these assistant coaches who suck up to you. You have the glory of winning. I guess it all depends on the individual.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2014, 07:04 PM   #21
banacek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard
The article doesn't state that either has been offered a NFL head coaching position? - I don't believe they have been. Maybe college positions, but that's not what I'm talking about.

I agree..it really depends on the personality. According to this link from a couple of years ago, Cowher said he has turned down several teams.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.VGaXNvnF9O8

Gruden has been rumoured for many...and you are right that doesn't mean much...last thing I heard was Oakland..I think he's better off in the booth
Your little winning streak
banacek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2014, 10:20 PM   #22
sandpit

Gruden can wear thin on occasion, but I do appreciate what certainly seems like his genuine joy for the job he's doing. And like was mentioned, who wouldn't at $4M a year?

Going outside of the tv realm, my favorite Monday Night duo was when Jack Buck and Hank Stram did the games on radio when I was a youngster. Many a Monday when I had to hit the sack for school did I fall asleep to some of the best called ball games of all time.
sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2014, 11:06 PM   #23
Valuist

With Gruden, everyone is THE GREATEST. He really needs to back off on the hyperbole.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2014, 01:15 AM   #24
Stillriledup
Veteran

The NFL using coaches and ex athletes as commentators acts as if nobody really bets. While ex NFLers can give insight that regular citizens cannot, if that "insight" doesn't help you cash bets, what good is it?

Most of us would rather have an elite sports bettor talking about the games than some person who's no longer good enough to play the game he's talking about.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2014, 10:59 AM   #25
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
The NFL using coaches and ex athletes as commentators acts as if nobody really bets. While ex NFLers can give insight that regular citizens cannot, if that "insight" doesn't help you cash bets, what good is it?

Most of us would rather have an elite sports bettor talking about the games than some person who's no longer good enough to play the game he's talking about.
Shhhhhhh. There are a lot of people that think these people provide good info. The secret to betting football is being able to evaluate these teams without being a homer. If you can't be unbiased, analyze the team in its entirety and think for yourself.....don't try to bet football. These guys on TV are the example of a losing bettor. Why do you give away secrets on here? Football is the king of hypocrisy....you are not supposed to bet....wink, wink. Why put real gamblers on? This message was brought to you by Fantasy football dot com.......

I've been complaining about Gruden for a couple years. People are finally catching on. Its hard for me to believe he was successful as a coach. He must be tons better in a locker room and is one guy that should rethink his position.

Last edited by burnsy; 11-16-2014 at 11:00 AM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2014, 11:10 AM   #26
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
I agree about Gruden, his "act" is wearing thin.
The friggin guy talks like Kurt Russell in "Big Trouble in Little China."
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: