Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 09-12-2018, 03:56 PM   #31
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
I dfon't have time to sort that out. But why does that matter?
Meanwhile there is no excusing this fiasco...

Hurricane Maria killed more than 4,600 people — more than 70 times the official toll of 64, study says.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ico/650942002/

Researchers at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, however, surveyed more than 3,000 households on the battered island. By extrapolating those findings, researchers determined that at least 4,645 "excess deaths" occurred during the storm and the weeks that followed.

The researchers said the number was conservative and that the death toll likely exceeded 5,000. Many of the deaths were due in part to power outages that crippled medical and other services.

The study was published in the New England Journal of Medicine.

"Our results indicate that the official death count of 64 is a substantial underestimate of the true burden of mortality after Hurricane Maria," the study says.
So, they don't have the actual breakdown. (Why am I not surprised?) All the propaganda talking heads can come up with is "occurred during the storm and the weeks that followed". How convenient.

What if 4,900 died during the storm and 100 died after? Or 4950 died during the storm and 50 afterward?
Old 09-12-2018, 03:56 PM   #32
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Listening to CNN blame Trump for Hurricane Florence.........

Christ! They have lost their marbles........

Somebody draw a cartoon of trump steering a Hurricane with a joystick, please!
I've had CNN on all day and if that's what you're hearing... I'm more worried about your marbles.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2018, 03:58 PM   #33
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
Boxcar implied the "evil leftists" sunk Puerto Rico. When the death toll was all along underestimated by a bragging despicable Trump
Someone didn't deliver the goods after FEMA delivered the water to the island. It's not the federal government's job to distribute aid door-to-door. Locals do that because locals are familiar with the areas.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:16 PM   #34
Ocala Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post

A thread was started about folks being prepared for what looks like a serious storm and all some folks wanna do is talk politics....AGAIN

Sorry I started it now.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2018, 04:22 PM   #35
GaryG
Unreconstructed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike View Post
Sorry I started it now.
I am with you Mike, this is beyond pitiful.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:28 PM   #36
lansdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I live in the Panic Zone when it comes to storms, as the crow flies I am around 60 miles from the bay and 80 miles from the open ocean. We should be just fine, maybe some wind and extra rain.

I try to combine errands as things are far apart. I figure might as well grocery shop on the way back from the bank yesterday at 10am. Large chain store for here was a disaster area, the parking lot looked like a late Christmas shopping crowd at a mall. Pretty much all the milk, eggs, and water were wiped out. I forgot all about the storm. Usually the panic shopping hits before snow storms and we usually get only a half dozen measurable ones a year that are about 2-6". You do not want to be anywhere near a store when snow starts falling here, utter chaos and panic, people leave their shopping carts all over the parking lots and drive recklessly to avoid the impending doom.

The local media combined with people who don't pay attention to details fan the flames of panic. People in the store were talking about the 20"-30" of rain that was coming totally oblivious to the fact that would be the worst case scenario for those in the center of the storms path, not people 120+ miles away from where it hits land. I live among a bunch of people afraid of their own shadow.
Hi ID,

Just got off the phone after some grim calls from friends in Kill Devil Hills, NC and Norfolk, VA, who have retreated well inland. NC guy boarded up his beach house as well as he could, but is prepared for it to be vaporized by Florence.
From what you say about your location, as you say, no reason to panic, but storm surge -- at least 10-12 inches of rain predicted for all central areas of VA, so sounds like the region could be immobilized for a week or so -- thus the run on supplies.

Cheers,

lansdale

v
lansdale is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2018, 05:02 PM   #37
Grits

I live two hours inland from the coast of N.C., right at I-95. I've weathered these all of my life. The majority of the coastal homes, most of the time, are second residence vacation beach homes.

It is one thing to lose your beach house but it is totally another thing altogether to lose your primary residence to a hurricane that has made landfall, destroyed vacation residences and come inland, stalled, and destroyed everything in its path--taking humans, animals, homes, farms, businesses, etc. This was the reality, the nightmare of Hurricane Hazel in 1954, Hurricane Fran in 1996 and Hurricane Floyd in 1999.

There's no alarmist mindset in the majority of us as we've lived this. The professionals cannot predict hurricanes, they can only track them. Knowing, full well, by the way, that they can turn on a dime. They do, whether you gentlemen (some of you, wise asses) believe it or not, help to guide us with a window--a time frame.

It's a pretty callous soul that would make others time of difficulty, even fear--which I admit--a political football. Hurricanes have taken many lives, be grateful this is something that isn't currently a part of your sphere.

If so inclined, your prayers would be deeply appreciated.

Last edited by Grits; 09-12-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2018, 05:16 PM   #38
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett View Post
So much for a thread about a hurricane.
Blame that on the left. They have made the weather a political issue. In fact, there's isn't much the left hasn't or can't politicize.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:16 PM   #39
Ocala Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post

It's a pretty callous soul that would make others time of difficulty, even fear--which I admit--a political football. Hurricanes have taken many lives, be grateful this is something that isn't currently a part of your sphere.

If so inclined, your prayers would be deeply appreciated.

Callous souls are why we can't have nice things in PA.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:18 PM   #40
Ocala Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post

Blame that on the left. They have made the weather a political issue. In fact, there's isn't much the left hasn't or can't politicize.

Nice deflection! You co-opted my thread which made no mention of politics. I call total BS.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:23 PM   #41
thaskalos

It is said that people come together in cases of emergency. Shouldn't this apply to paceadvantage too? Should we always start and pursue the same predictable arguments, no matter WHAT the initial topic is?

Last edited by thaskalos; 09-12-2018 at 05:42 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2018, 05:30 PM   #42
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

What he said.
Making this someone's fault is assinne.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:36 PM   #43
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike View Post
Nice deflection! You co-opted my thread which made no mention of politics. I call total BS.
Oh...I just thought everyone would appreciate the real [fake] news that has been going on the past couple of days on FNN (fake news networks) that have been talking non stop about how this hurricane is Trump's fault and his response to it is already horrendous.

Like JR basically said, these leftist talking heads are pretty sick puppies when they have to stoop to new depths of stupidity by reporting that the weather is a president's fault (any president's fault!). (They did this, too, with Bush, as I recall.)

I wouldn't have reported on what is going on behind the great storm if I thought your comrades over on the cable networks would be such a cause of embarrassment to you. Please accept my apologies.

Meanwhile, to address the real issue, this is just another Act of God -- noting we haven't seen many times. But my prayers to Him will be that he turns this storm away from the coast for everyone's safety.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:40 PM   #44
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Oh...I just thought everyone would appreciate the real [fake] news that has been going on the past couple of days on FNN (fake news networks) that have been talking non stop about how this hurricane is Trump's fault and his response to it is already horrendous.

Like JR basically said, these leftist talking heads are pretty sick puppies when they have to stoop to new depths of stupidity by reporting that the weather is a president's fault (any president's fault!). (They did this, too, with Bush, as I recall.)

I wouldn't have reported on what is going on behind the great storm if I thought your comrades over on the cable networks would be such a cause of embarrassment to you. Please accept my apologies.

Meanwhile, to address the real issue, this is just another Act of God -- noting we haven't seen many times. But my prayers to Him will be that he turns this storm away from the coast for everyone's safety.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2018, 09:45 PM   #45
sammy the sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Love me some double down with bacon & cheese....heart attack city baby...

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: