Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-23-2018, 03:34 AM   #1
ultracapper

Paul Braseth

I bought the book "Six Secrets of Successful Gamblers" when it came out over 10 years ago, but never got down to really reading it cover to cover. I've picked it up and opened it and started reading where I opened dozens of times, but never committed to just sitting down and reading it. Until tonight.

In the introduction, the authors are introducing the gamblers that they interviewed for the book, and one of the gamblers is a man named Paul Braseth. He was a teacher in the state of Washington before he became a professional gambler in 1980.

Well, he was a teacher, of Washington State history, at James Monroe Junior High in 1977, the year Seattle Slew won the Triple Crown. I know this, because I was one of his students, and remember numerous times his discussing Longacres with us students before he'd begin classes. His conversations about horse racing never interested me much as a teenager, but at that time I'd never "tasted blood" at the track, my first visit to Longacres not occurring until Memorial Day 1982.

I'm wondering if anybody here knows him, and knows whether he is still playing the horses somewhere. Heck, this was 40 years ago when he was a teacher, and he definitely was a full grown adult at that time, though I couldn't even venture to guess his age at that time, as all teachers seemed ancient to this 14 year old student at the time.

Just startled me when I saw the name. Braseth. That's him. Mr. Braseth, Washington State history teacher at James Monroe Jr. High School in the Ballard neighborhood of Seattle Washington in 1977.

Oh yeah. He worked the windows during the summer at the track also. I remember him telling us stories of guys cashing tickets for what seemed like ungodly amounts of money at that time.

Last edited by ultracapper; 07-23-2018 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Forgot
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2018, 03:48 AM   #2
thaskalos

If I'm not mistaken...he passed away a few years ago.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:14 AM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

That is a very good book, even today. Lots of of-the cuff remarks by guys "doing it." Lots of ideas to explore.

I have a tape of two from the old Handicapping Expos by Paul - very smart guy.

He and Ron something, from N California. Ron Cox?

Read that book - you won't be disappointed.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:19 PM   #4
ultracapper

If he's passed, I'm sorry to hear that. It's exciting to have learned that the passion he very openly displayed for horse racing in the 70s was parleyed into a lifestyle I would imagine was more to his taste than 6 hours of smart ass teenage kids for 9 months a year. That was 40 years ago, so if he were still alive, I would have to guess he'd be in his 80s.

It's good to know that his name is recognizable to a couple of you here. When I saw his name in the book last night, it just smacked me square in the face.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2018, 03:32 PM   #5
Dan Montilion

I sat with and conversed about handicapping many a times with Paul. Paul was good friends with Ron Cox. I subscribed to Ron's NORTHERN CALIFORNIA TRACK product and eventually became co-editor. In fact when Paul decided to provide a similar product, NORTHWEST TRACK REVIEW Ron made many suggestions. Paul's strength as a handicapper was trainers, I was fortunate to know him and invest along side of him. After Longacres season would end Paul would come down to No. Cal. Great times can you imagine going to Bay Meadows with detailed trip, speed and pace ratings for the shippers from LGA? And there were many and many good days. After LGA was sold Paul gave up the newsletter business and moved to San Francisco and was a steady full time player for years. I lost track of Paul and sincerely hope he is alive and well collecting tickets. Paul was also the subject of a chapter in Jim Quinn's NEW EXPERT HANDICAPPERS. In that book Paul relates his biggest one race score at the time. I can attest to it as I fortunatley was there sitting amongst Cox and Braseth. In fact I think I actually have a few of those Big Dan Ryan dollars somewhere.

Anthony Bourdain
Dan Montilion is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2018, 11:31 PM   #6
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
If he's passed, I'm sorry to hear that. It's exciting to have learned that the passion he very openly displayed for horse racing in the 70s was parleyed into a lifestyle I would imagine was more to his taste than 6 hours of smart ass teenage kids for 9 months a year. That was 40 years ago, so if he were still alive, I would have to guess he'd be in his 80s.

It's good to know that his name is recognizable to a couple of you here. When I saw his name in the book last night, it just smacked me square in the face.
For a few years Paul used to come down to Del Mar for the summer. I met him through Jim Quinn and we all congregated in the same box for most of the meet. Nice guy, dry sense of humor. Haven't seen him in a number of years
AndyC is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2021, 11:50 AM   #7
KBraseth

Thank You for Remembering Paul Braseth

This is Karen, Paul's widow. I am so sorry he/we didn't see these remarks before he left last year. They are an amazing testament to the glory days of racing I was fortunate to enjoy with him at the tracks you mention...Longacres, Bay Meadows, Golden Gate Fields and Del Mar.

Ron Cox was a close friend, as was James Quinn and Andy Beyer. Not to mention the crowd at Del Mar where we wagered together in Gibson Carothers' box - what a wonderful time.

Thank you for your heart felt remarks about this amazing handicapper!
-Karen

If you would like to learn more about Paul, here is his memorial.

Paul Olaf Braseth's memorial website.
KBraseth is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2021, 12:56 PM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Karen, how nice of you tp post. The game in today's information age owes a debt to pioneers like Paul and Ron, did the work and had the ideas. We were lucky they had those handicapping expos so we could be inspired by guys like Paul.

Thanks for posting the memorial.
Old 08-28-2021, 01:13 PM   #9
Dan Montilion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Karen, how nice of you tp post. The game in today's information age owes a debt to pioneers like Paul and Ron, did the work and had the ideas. We were lucky they had those handicapping expos so we could be inspired by guys like Paul.

Thanks for posting the memorial.

Well Said Tom. Paul indeed was the real deal in this game. More importantly, Paul was a Gentleman.

Anthony Bourdain
Dan Montilion is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2021, 03:22 PM   #10
MJC922

It's wonderful of you to post Karen. I looked through all of the slideshow, wow you folks really got around the globe! So many fond memories I'm sure. Very sorry to hear of Paul's passing. My prayers are with you.
Old 09-04-2021, 12:07 PM   #11
KBraseth

Thank You for Your Tribute to Paul

Dan...Paul would have been honored to be the 2nd handicapper, after Ron, to influence your life the most. I took you up on your offer and posted your tribute on his memorial site.
Thank you, Karen
Old 09-04-2021, 12:10 PM   #12
KBraseth

Thank you for your Tribute to Paul

Tom...loved being reminded of those Expo's, always a big lift and so enjoyed by Paul too. I hope you don't mind, I posted your tribute on his memorial site.
Thank you, Karen
Old 09-04-2021, 12:15 PM   #13
KBraseth

Thank You for your Tribute to Paul

MJC922...yes, Paul & I took every opportunity for adventure with cycling and the race track being our motivators for location. Am so happy to know that you enjoyed his/our Gallery - as you say, so many memories that sustain me now.
Thank you, Karen
PS...may I know your name?
Old 09-04-2021, 04:39 PM   #14
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBraseth View Post
MJC922...yes, Paul & I took every opportunity for adventure with cycling and the race track being our motivators for location. Am so happy to know that you enjoyed his/our Gallery - as you say, so many memories that sustain me now.
Thank you, Karen
PS...may I know your name?
Hi Karen, last name is Cahill. First name is Mike.
Old 09-05-2021, 02:49 PM   #15
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBraseth View Post
Tom...loved being reminded of those Expo's, always a big lift and so enjoyed by Paul too. I hope you don't mind, I posted your tribute on his memorial site.
Thank you, Karen
I am honored!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: