Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-19-2016, 02:08 PM   #1
MonmouthParkJoe

Pegasus Cup Filled

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/th...urchase-spots/

Why not make this thing 20 spots like the derby for a cool $20 million!
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2016, 02:17 PM   #2
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonmouthParkJoe
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/th...urchase-spots/

Why not make this thing 20 spots like the derby for a cool $20 million!
I was hoping it would be the best horses in racing at the time who were entered, not owners buying spots in advance and then hoping they have a horse that can compete. Oh well, not my million bucks to burn.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2016, 02:37 PM   #3
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01
I was hoping it would be the best horses in racing at the time who were entered, not owners buying spots in advance and then hoping they have a horse that can compete. Oh well, not my million bucks to burn.
There's zero way to make it work your way. As an owner, you can't depend on a single horse or two to get you to such a race, so no one's going to pony up in advance. The track can't wait til a week out either, not knowing whether they're hosting a huge event or not.

This was a brilliant way to make it work. Don't worry, the best horses will show, and are far more likely to show this way. Not everyone is a zillionaire who would pay to enter even if they own a top horse. But now they'll be courted by those who do own the spots and deals can be struck that helps to get them in the gate.

I applaud this idea. Brilliant. And it may well lead to more.

Last edited by Fager Fan; 05-19-2016 at 02:39 PM.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2016, 02:40 PM   #4
tanner12oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01
it could end up being 12 nickel claimers running for 12m under these guidelines...
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2016, 02:45 PM   #5
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner12oz
it could end up being 12 nickel claimers running for 12m under these guidelines...
Someone's going to have a better horse in there than that,,so which nicks claimer owner is going to pony up the dough?

Have a little more imagination.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:22 PM   #6
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan
There's zero way to make it work your way. As an owner, you can't depend on a single horse or two to get you to such a race, so no one's going to pony up in advance. The track can't wait til a week out either, not knowing whether they're hosting a huge event or not.

This was a brilliant way to make it work. Don't worry, the best horses will show, and are far more likely to show this way. Not everyone is a zillionaire who would pay to enter even if they own a top horse. But now they'll be courted by those who do own the spots and deals can be struck that helps to get them in the gate.

I applaud this idea. Brilliant. And it may well lead to more.
Every major event which comes to mind is held this way i.e., Derby, BC, Dubai, and all the other major stake race days. I was hoping it would be the way Castaway01 was anticipating. Now, it looks like CC could run but horses like Nyquist, Beholder, Exaggerator, etc. may not because the cost will be more than $1 million to enter.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2016, 04:29 PM   #7
rgustafson

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoyoulike
Every major event which comes to mind is held this way i.e., Derby, BC, Dubai, and all the other major stake race days. I was hoping it would be the way Castaway01 was anticipating. Now, it looks like CC could run but horses like Nyquist, Beholder, Exaggerator, etc. may not because the cost will be more than $1 million to enter.
Reddam already paid for a spot for Nyquist.
rgustafson is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2016, 04:54 PM   #8
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoyoulike
None are held that way - they know a year or multiple years out they're having an event. You can't sell tickets and tv rights, etc, without knowing a substantial time ahead of time the event will be held.

You're not thinking of this correctly if yore imagining those horses running so far ahead of time. Hell, the favorite for the Oaks didn't get there with only a month to go.

The horses to enter will be the ones who make it up to the race in good order. Then the wheeling and dealing will begin. And it doesn't mean someone will pay $1m or more to enter. Maybe one person will, but maybe another owner will work a deal where the slot owner puts up the slot and he puts up the horse, and they'll split the pot 50-50. All kinds of deals will be pursued. Hell, that'll be part of what makes the race so interesting.

Stronach isn't the head of a country where he claims the natural resources of that country as his own. He can't afford to do what S. Mo is doing, so he came up with an interesting way to fund it.

Believe me, the Taylor brothers and their partners didn't put up $1m with nothing to back it but Chrome. They are banking they can work a deal with another top owner if need be.

Last edited by Fager Fan; 05-19-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:09 PM   #9
SuperPickle

So basically the were all sold on speculation.

It's like big money poker. There's going to be backers. So if I have a fast horse come November or December someone can offer me their spot in exchange for a cut of the purse.

Interesting.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2016, 05:45 PM   #10
Fager Fan
Veteran

If these 12 make money, then guess what the demand will be next year? And these 12 have first rights. It's a proposal I would've def considered if I was a big owner.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:00 PM   #11
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

All 12 can't make money, only the first two finishers. The fourth thru 12 finishers get back $250k. I'm surprised they got 12 people to put up $1M (actually $750k since they are guaranteed to get back $250k) but anything that brings more excitement to the sport, I'm all for.

It's a good way to keep the stars on the track for one last race since it won't prevent them from breeding that year. Hope it works.

$7 million for first, with $1.75 million for second, $1 million for third, and $250,000 for the fourth- through last-place finishers. read more at:

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...asus-world-cup
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2016, 09:54 PM   #12
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

I hope it ends up being 12 juiced up Starter ALW horses in the gates
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2016, 09:57 PM   #13
theiman

Any chance that Ricks Natural Star will be one of the entrants?
theiman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2016, 10:27 PM   #14
clocker7
Veteran

What a fun development. All the avenues for gamesmanship should keep the buzz going for the weeks after the Classic. With some spare horses on the grounds for backup, to add to the intrigue about who the starters will be.

As I posted on the other thread, my only regret is that the fee isn't $2million. There still would have been enough interest, imo.
clocker7 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2016, 11:56 PM   #15
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard
All 12 can't make money, only the first two finishers. The fourth thru 12 finishers get back $250k. I'm surprised they got 12 people to put up $1M (actually $750k since they are guaranteed to get back $250k) but anything that brings more excitement to the sport, I'm all for.

It's a good way to keep the stars on the track for one last race since it won't prevent them from breeding that year. Hope it works.

$7 million for first, with $1.75 million for second, $1 million for third, and $250,000 for the fourth- through last-place finishers. read more at:

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...asus-world-cup
You're forgetting to add their cut on profits for the day. How much will admissions and handle bring in? Food & beverage sales? TV rights to the broadcast? I don't know what those numbers are, but you can bet that the buyers asked those questions and did some math and figured this is a good risk.