Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Old 05-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
showbet

15 in a row for Tracys Song

Tracys Song, an 8-year-old pacing mare, won her 15th consecutive race today at Monticello. Congratulations to all involved.
showbet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2013, 01:24 AM   #2
cmp92

Nice story on US Trotting.

http://xwebapp.ustrotting.com/absolu...53506&zoneid=1

You can find some nice horses at these lower level tracks.
cmp92 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
showbet

She just won her 16th in a row.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
Magister Ludi

Quote:
Originally Posted by showbet
She just won her 16th in a row.
I hope that the pool was favorable for you and that you had a sizeable show bet on her.
Magister Ludi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
showbet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magister Ludi
I hope that the pool was favorable for you and that you had a sizeable show bet on her.
They didn't offer show wagering on the race, and I never bet on "bridge jumper" horses anyway, even those that have won 15 in a row.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
Magister Ludi

Quote:
Originally Posted by showbet
They didn't offer show wagering on the race, and I never bet on "bridge jumper" horses anyway, even those that have won 15 in a row.
That's very wise. They're almost never positive expected value on either side of the coin.
Magister Ludi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #7
cmp92

She just won her 17th in a row. 1:59.
cmp92 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
lamboguy

she just won her 18th race in a row. she paid $2.70 to win and she was in the same class as she has been in.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #9
DeltaLover

Long winning streaks, most of the time if not always, represent a very careful and conservative campaign.

Horses like Pepper's Pride and Rapid Redux for example, were both able to go through very long winning streaks taking advantage of the conditions, driven by the desire of their connections to maintain a silly undefeated record.

Even in the case of top notch horses, like Black Caviar, the connections clearly give the impression that they are dodging the competition, always seeking for the soft spot.

Zen, the top mare of our era, could certainly had shown us more, if her connections had the courage to test her against top horses more often. Either if we want to accept it or not the fact remains that she only beat such a field only once during her lengthy career (please, I do not try to start a flame war not another thread about her, I am merely using her as an example...)

Above everything else owners should be sportsmen, willing to test their animals to their full capacity instead of taking advantage of the restrictions applied to their stack... This tactic is also bad for the betting aspect of the sport as it tends to produce unbalanced races thus not offering good competitive fields... It might only be good just for the owner if seen from the financial prospective only. All the other participants, including the horse as well, have nothing to gain from this type of streaks..
Old 06-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #10
lamboguy

hey delta, a friend of mine has a 10 year old horse, JOHNS BERGER. he runs that horse for a straight $5000 every race. he could put the horse in and win a starter, but it would take to much out of him and he would have to retire him before he hurt himself. the horse loves to run, it gives the horse something to look forward to every month. if you take that away from him he would be heartbroken.

we all forget that this is horseracing, not gambler racing. in this game the horse has to come first.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2013, 10:17 PM   #11
melman

Delta the HUGE majority of owners in horse racing LOSE money and lose a lot of it. So you really want to make it even harder for the owner to make a buck? I can go along with you on the very top class horses who for the most part have super rich owners. Notice how many times it's the same select few trainers also. The connections of Tracy's Song are making no claims to her being a champion. Can't you just enjoy a consistent older horse who loves to race and win?
melman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2013, 02:44 AM   #12
LottaKash

Quote:
Originally Posted by melman
Can't you just enjoy a consistent older horse who loves to race and win?
Mel, gotta say, I love to see the older ones that still love to RACE & WIN !..In any class for that matter....I would definitely go to the local track if I resided nearby,just to root for them....

I haven't cheered for an older horse on a winning streak, in quite some time...

I miss those days when trips to the races were a very regular thing, and yelling at them coming down the lane was a very common thing for us to do ....
Old 06-04-2013, 08:18 AM   #13
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
hey delta, a friend of mine has a 10 year old horse, JOHNS BERGER. he runs that horse for a straight $5000 every race. he could put the horse in and win a starter, but it would take to much out of him and he would have to retire him before he hurt himself. the horse loves to run, it gives the horse something to look forward to every month. if you take that away from him he would be heartbroken.

we all forget that this is horseracing, not gambler racing. in this game the horse has to come first.
This is correct.

In theory the purpose of the game lies in the improvement of the breed and I agree that care for the horse comes first. Very few (if any) of us horse bettors will seriously disagree with this maxim.

I remember that this is what I was trying to explain to a lady representing PETA when they protested in Belmont after Eight Bells had broken down coming second to BB. Of course she did not seem to get it but this is another story....

BUT

Either we want to accept it or not, the whole horse racing system relies on the anonymous bettor who puts his money in action maintaining trainers, jockeys, track personel, breeders, journalists and pretty much every one else. The improvement of the breed and the care for the horses is not a responsability of the bettor but of the professionals of the industry.

Oddly enough, I think that in the real world the roles are reversed; the bettor cares more about the horse than the pros who view the sport solely as an occupation leaving any sportmanship and I dare to say romantism aside!

The bettor's interest for high quality and less racing, no drugs, longer careers for top horses, transparent medical records , large fields, less 2 yo and more past 4 yo racing are things that are opposed by the pros who view the game with a myopic vision, only considering the short term profit, a tactic that degenarated the breed to the point it is today....

Maybe we (bettors) should have a tell about how this industry is driven?
Old 06-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #14
Charlie

This horse is something special. Didn't even have its regular driver due to a huge 2nd race accident at Monticello. Had to switch from Aldrich 21% win rate to Beeler 8% win rate. Broke from PP5 with an inside horse showing some front speed in 27.4 and 57.3 and still went to the front with hardly any effort. Just wonder how any horse can hold its form for such a long time. Unreal.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #15
melman

Delta you are attempting to make the bettor sound like some noble people. Some are and care about the horses and admire the ones who are consistent and give a big effort from each start. So few horses of any class put together win streaks. Yet when some do it's "unsportsmankike". Many "bettors" are far from caring about the horse or the people involved. How many times over the years have I heard a horse referred to only by it's number. As in "beat the four, beat the crap out of him". Or "they take turns and only win when they want to". I'm all for the regular player but let's be real the "pros" have given there main focus to the slot machines. How many tracks would even be open without them. I just fail to see how making it even harder for the smaller owners to win money or at least break even makes it a better game for the player.
melman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply