Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-23-2023, 02:22 PM   #106
Profesor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
What exactly are your credentials to know this? What exactly do you know about any of the executives at NYRA?

The internet is chock full of people making comments with absolutely no actual knowledge of that they are talking about. This is yet another example.
I know more than you think.
Profesor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-23-2023, 02:31 PM   #107
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profesor View Post
I know more than you think.
You couldn’t know less, though I’m guessing it’s a photo.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-23-2023, 03:55 PM   #108
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

[quote=Profesor;2865872]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

Yes me and 99% of all horse players.

In God We Trust.

All others, provide data...
Old 03-23-2023, 05:13 PM   #109
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by $w1fT View Post
When Aqueduct closes, NYRA will essentially go 10 months of the year with almost zero two turn dirt races being run.
Is this really a bad thing? Seems to me one turn routes are inherently more fair contests.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-23-2023, 07:05 PM   #110
Bustin Stones

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Is this really a bad thing? Seems to me one turn routes are inherently more fair contests.
I agree. People shy away from bull ring tracks. The opposite is a no turn mile like some of the Brit racing. A one turn mile is fairer than a 2 or 3 turn mile. I imagine it's easier on the horses as well.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-23-2023, 08:46 PM   #111
Profesor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
This isn't going to be a popular position but "difficulty of handicapping" doesn't strike me as something tracks should be very concerned about.

Look, the most popular betting race is the Kentucky Derby. It's also incredibly difficult- 20 horses, lightly raced, carrying weight and going a distance they have never gone before, shipping in from various tracks to a track most of them haven't run on. How many had last year's winner?

Meanwhile, 5 horse fields at Santa Anita can be incredibly easy to handicap. Which would you rather bet on?

If synthetics make handicapping harder, you can either pass the race or try to develop an edge. But it's good, not bad, that the races are difficult. (At any rate, I doubt they are any more difficult than a field of 10 first time starter 2 year olds on the turf at Del Mar during the summer.).

Brilliant make a very hard game,even harder,🤣🤣
Profesor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2023, 10:18 AM   #112
ubercapper

[quote=Profesor;2865872]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

Yes me and 99% of all horse players.
99% if a pretty broad generalization, don't you think?

I was a big fan of Polytrack at Keeneland, but just like now there was a big backlash against it from notable public personas like Andy Beyer and Sevee Crist. I can't find it now, but I recall around 2005 I wrote an article titled "Get Over It" which I was raked over the coals for, even here on PA. (Note: I searched but couldn't find the reference on this site I was looking for but if anyone does please post or send me a PM).

It's interesting although the makeup of all-weather surfaces has changed significantly since then (thanks to Michael Dickinson), the generalizations "no one likes it" continue while the evidence (via Turfway and Woodbine) suggests that bettors for the most part have no issue with it, and some actually like handicapping on it.

Now that there's decent scale in terms of past performances on the surface, which will only get bigger, and that most all-weather surfaces now have GPS data (velocity, stride length, individual horse times), the quiet majority (IMO) who have found ways to handicap and wager on all-weather are quite happy and will continue to be so.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2023, 10:48 AM   #113
classhandicapper

[quote=ubercapper;2865996]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profesor View Post

99% if a pretty broad generalization, don't you think?

I was a big fan of Polytrack at Keeneland, but just like now there was a big backlash against it from notable public personas like Andy Beyer and Sevee Crist. I can't find it now, but I recall around 2005 I wrote an article titled "Get Over It" which I was raked over the coals for, even here on PA.
Again, imo the problem isn’t necessarily the surface.

If a miscellaneous horse that’s been running at WO, TP, GG etc… shows up in a dirt race, you can probably take an educated guess and be comfortable by looking at the horse’s back races, workouts, the trainer’s record, pedigree etc…. If the entire field or even worse an entire card of horses is coming off synthetic races and going to dirt, you have a whole new set of problems. Same in the opposite direction. That’s going to be the case when they make the winter and spring switches.

It’s going to be really tough to handicap, make figures and appraise those horses and performances during those periods.

Same if they run one or two turf races, it pours, and they take the other turf races off and put them on synth. Now you could have races run on 4 different tracks (inner and outer turf, dirt, and synth). There’s virtually no chance of determining bias due to sample size and making figures will often be a guessing game. Even 3 is often problematical.

And this assumes they stay with the current plan for just winter and off the turf. There are going to be horses that love synth and trainers and owners that think it’s safer that are going to be asking for some extra races in spring and fall.

Of course there will be some positives in winter also if they keep and draw some extra horses, but we’ll see how it impacts the gambling.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 03-24-2023 at 10:53 AM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2023, 11:08 AM   #114
$w1fT
SaratogaFan1

Quote:
I guess it's just a personal preference for me. I like that Aqueduct offers the two turn 9f races, the one turn mile and then the 6-7f sprints.

Just as Saratoga offers similar and now with the mile races out of the chute.
$w1fT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2023, 11:08 AM   #115
Cholly

Quote:
Is this really a bad thing?
In Chollyworld…yeah, it’s a bad thing. For fans at the track, the spectacle of a race is greatly enhanced by having the horses start in front of you–instead of some distant locale requiring a telescope to be seen.

Those watching remotely appreciate the added intrigue and strategy involved from having a 2nd turn in the race. Where does the jockey want to be positioned around the clubhouse turn? How will they get there?

Racing two turns on the dirt is the polestar for American horse racing. If one names racing’s most prestigious events, those with the largest purses, generating the most excitement and attendance, the top of the list is dominated by dirt routes that start and end in front of the grandstand. Horses who can run those types of races are what breeders breed for, and what buyers hope they will get when they're shelling out the big bucks at auction.
Cholly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2023, 11:20 AM   #116
the little guy

Perpective....we might be talking about three races a week.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2023, 11:47 AM   #117
Robert Fischer
clean money

Can Forte crush his rivals in the Florida Derby? or will he be handicapped by the wide post draw with that short run to the first turn??

I had 2 coffees instead of one(my limit), and now I'm thinking about this enigma...

is it bad or good? It's just a factor. In this specific race, it makes it more interesting.
Some races it plays no part, or perhaps spoils the race for you by disadvantaging your watch-list bet-back horses draw....

there's a balance somewhere
Old 03-26-2023, 12:05 PM   #118
Sheffwed

I don't know

Quote:
If you ask trainers like Stidham, Brion, et al based at Fair Hill, which is three hours or less from Belmont, they might well want to send more horses up in winter knowing there is Tapeta (or whatever the all weather surface will be)

The horse population this winter at the Big A was really poor I think we can all agree, this may help with that, especially if there is regular all weather racing trainers can rely on
Sheffwed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2023, 12:20 PM   #119
Bustin Stones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cholly View Post
In Chollyworld…yeah, it’s a bad thing. For fans at the track, the spectacle of a race is greatly enhanced by having the horses start in front of you–instead of some distant locale requiring a telescope to be seen.

Those watching remotely appreciate the added intrigue and strategy involved from having a 2nd turn in the race. Where does the jockey want to be positioned around the clubhouse turn? How will they get there?

Racing two turns on the dirt is the polestar for American horse racing. If one names racing’s most prestigious events, those with the largest purses, generating the most excitement and attendance, the top of the list is dominated by dirt routes that start and end in front of the grandstand. Horses who can run those types of races are what breeders breed for, and what buyers hope they will get when they're shelling out the big bucks at auction.
It depends on what you want a given race to represent. The real estate next to the rail is prized on turns as it shortens the race. The more turns you have to navigate, the more the race depends on race strategy and less on whether the best horse won. It's the reason the better harness races take place on 7/8 or one mile tracks rather than 5/8 or 1/2 mile tracks. It reduces the number of turns from 4 or 3 down to 2. I'm not knocking race strategy. It's that many people would rather the best horse won. It's just a preference.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2023, 07:58 PM   #120
classhandicapper

Quote:
Are you saying in the winter they are only going to use the synthetic surface 3 times a week?

I was under the impression it was going to be the primary "winter" surface and occasionally used for off the turf races in warmer weather.

If you are saying they are going to use it 3 times a week in winter, there are way fewer issues. But I have to ask why they would bother with the cost of constructing and maintaining a track for such limited use.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 03-26-2023 at 08:00 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply