Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 12:46 PM   #1276
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Boxcar didn't write the Bible either, but it's his entire basis for debate...throwing scripture at us left and right that he himself did not write.

Maybe we should all refuse to debate with Boxcar because the prophets don't post here?
Ouch.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
Old 05-05-2017, 12:51 PM   #1277
boxcar

Quote:
You're using the Bible to defend your opinion/belief.
Yeah, so? I'm not debating with the bible the way you want me to debate with "other people", who are phantoms as far as this forum is concerned.

Quote:
Just like I'm using various items written by other people to defend my opinion.

And my opinion is that there is no hinting to the Trinity in the OT and that your use of the Hebrew language is incorrect in doing so...AND that Jesus did NOT fulfill the requirements of the Messiah AS STATED IN THE OT...AND that this "New Covenant" talked about in the OT does not refer to Jesus.
You're fighting a losing battle for three reasons:

a.) You're assuming the "other people" are correct in their opinions.

b.) You're only working with the very small slivers of divine revelation, almost always quoted out of context, that these "other people" toss out there to try to support their positions.

c.) As stated previously, you personally are in no position at all to take up the "mantle" of these "other people" to carry on their arguments, in their absence, because your knowledge of scripture is so limited. And even what you think you know...you almost certainly do not understand it in the full context of divine revelation.

You really should quit while you're only this far behind... A smart man knows when fishin' ain't his thing and it's time to cut bait...

Last edited by boxcar; 05-05-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:53 PM   #1278
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
You really should quit while you're only this far behind... A smart man knows when fishin' ain't his thing and it's time to cut bait...
I usually do, but I find the waters far too inviting this time around...filled with chum and attracting the really big, dumb fish.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:55 PM   #1279
boxcar

Quote:
I usually do, but I find the waters far too inviting this time around...filled with chum and attracting the really big, dumb fish.
With you leading that "big, dumb" school, without doubt!
Old 05-05-2017, 12:57 PM   #1280
traynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
Doing things mindfully is often very, very difficult. Mindful self observation requires detachment and even explaining detachment to western sensibilities as NOT the cessation of all thought and understanding is a familiar discussion here on this thread

The "garment" both the Buddhist monk and Sufis speak of is the accumulated baggage we have grown in order to cope with the human environment. A good portion of the Greek "know thyself is about that baggage. Benjamin Franklin compared the great difficulty of knowing one's self--- "There are three Things extremely hard, Steel, a Diamond, and to know one's self."

In the Esoteric traditions one goes past personality and eventually moves closer to essence. But quieting the personality and learning to organize it properly generally comes first. And knowing all variations of personality is tough

Gurdjieff described humans as body, Essence and Personality
Again, not as difficult as it may seem. It takes intent, and a bit of practice, but not huge amounts. Detachment is useful, but need not be complete--objective observation may be all that is necessary. Specifically, if one is an individual, observing "other stuff," it can be difficult. If one is simply an observer, it becomes much less so. That is, mindfulness may be viewed as the solution to the problem of subjective (non-objective) observation, rather than a goal in itself. "Re-framing" it as such makes it easier to accomplish. Rather than some lofty goal, only attainable after endless difficulties, it becomes part of another process.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:14 PM   #1281
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith View Post
Ouch.
Why the "ouch"? The prophets don't have to post here because unlike PA (a/k/a "No Answers", who can't defend the "other people" he quotes or cites (by his own admission no less), I can "defend" the prophets.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:22 PM   #1282
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Why the "ouch"? The prophets don't have to post here because unlike PA (a/k/a "No Answers", who can't defend the "other people" he quotes or cites (by his own admission no less), I can "defend" the prophets.
A true prophet should need no "defending."
Old 05-05-2017, 01:32 PM   #1283
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Why the "ouch"? ...
It was a direct shot and a real snappy retort from my vantage.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
Old 05-05-2017, 02:02 PM   #1284
boxcar

Quote:
A true prophet should need no "defending."
Yeah, he does when people like yourself misinterpret him, as you have with Moses and the Shema. He's not around to defend himself from infidels and heretics, so someone with true knowledge has to. Not only that...but what I do here is biblical. Kool, heh?
Old 05-05-2017, 02:05 PM   #1285
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith View Post
It was a direct shot and a real snappy retort from my vantage.
Anyone ever tell you that you're a lousy shot!?
Old 05-05-2017, 03:09 PM   #1286
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post
I stated ponder it.
Why should I?
Old 05-05-2017, 03:14 PM   #1287
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Why are you surprised? He thinks we descended from hairy beasts of the jungle, doesn't he?
FTFY
Old 05-05-2017, 03:41 PM   #1288
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
FTFY
Proving that misery loves [the thought of] company.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:41 PM   #1289
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Why should I?
For your edification and intellectual improvement.

I have to get my postings out of the way, as I am celebrating Cinco De Mayo. I apologize in advance if my future posts are not too coherent.

You asked why I don't want to commit suicide, so I will tell you.

I won't commit suicide, because I believe life is a gift and I enjoy gifts. Also, I believe life has purpose. One purpose is to generate and support new life, continuation of humanity.

I wake up every day enjoying the beauty of the mountains, the deep blue sky, the green vegetation, etc, all which are pleasing to the eye. I was created for the glory of God and to give God glory.

I have been created to love, to feel emotions and soak up the beauty of creation through my physical senses, the sights, the aromas, the tactile stimulation, etc. Every day I bond with my partner in life, and with my 180 lb dog. Fortunately, all our young ones are on their own, so I can't bond with them every day.

I am thankful for the opportunity to experience the glorious mystery of creation. Surrounded by beauty and love, gives me no urges to end my participation in the miracle of life.

Of course you cannot claim any of those reasons for your continued existence as you accept nihilism and atheism.

I live, you exist without purpose.
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington

Last edited by Show Me the Wire; 05-05-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:55 PM   #1290
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post
I wake up every day enjoying the beauty of the mountains, the deep blue sky, the green vegetation, etc, all which are pleasing to the eye. I was created for the glory of God and to give God glory.

I have been created to love, to feel emotions and soak up the beauty of creation through my physical senses, the sights, the aromas, the tactile stimulation, etc. Every day I bond with my partner in life, and with my 180 lb dog. Fortunately, all our young ones are on their own, so I can't bond with them every day.

I am thankful for the opportunity to experience the glorious mystery of creation. Surrounded by beauty and love, gives me no urges to end my participation in the miracle of life.
I have a business proposition for you:

Gather up whatever it is that you've been smoking...and let's sell it to the masses. We'll both be rich in no-time. I'll handle all the marketing and the distribution costs.
Closed Thread