Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-17-2024, 11:21 AM   #1
bisket

Pimlico rebuild becomes reality

MD Stadium Authority will design and rebuild Pimlico. They did an excellent job with the stadiums at Camden Yards so there’s high hopes Pimlico will become a facility worthy of the Preakness. Stronach gave Pimlico to the state. It will be the same set up as the Orioles and Ravens have with their stadiums. The MD Stadium Authority owns and operates the facilities. Orioles, Ravens, Stronach, and the breeders and horse owners racing nonprofit are “vendors”.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/2024/03...-bill-pimlico/
bisket is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2024, 11:42 AM   #2
Sheffwed

after building Pimlico

they should use Eminant Domain to seize the Preakness back from Stronach
who doesn't deserve it
Sheffwed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2024, 11:54 AM   #3
bisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheffwed View Post
they should use Eminant Domain to seize the Preakness back from Stronach
who doesn't deserve it
He keeps it for 2 years. It sounds like the state will buy it back after that. That’s when The Preakness will be held at the new track for the first time. The land in Laurel is worth a lot for housing development. Laurel is similar to Columbia in that it’s a suburb of both Baltimore and DC. It’s probably the last large acre tract of land left between DC and Baltimore.

Last edited by bisket; 03-17-2024 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-18-2024, 09:36 AM   #4
Big Russ

My big question is what will the configuration of the updated Pimlico track be? In particular, will there be room on the dirt surface for any sprints longer than 6F? Once Laurel closes, are the 7F and 1TM sprints on dirt history?
Big Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2024, 10:12 AM   #5
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

I'll believe it when I see it
Old 03-18-2024, 10:16 AM   #6
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Russ View Post
My big question is what will the configuration of the updated Pimlico track be? In particular, will there be room on the dirt surface for any sprints longer than 6F? Once Laurel closes, are the 7F and 1TM sprints on dirt history?
There's room to extend a chute but it would have to be a serious dog leg so as not to cut across Rogers Ave. Looks like a difficult build.
Old 03-18-2024, 10:21 AM   #7
bisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Russ View Post
The reason they’re building a training center is because they’re turning the track that today is 9 o’clock to 3 o’clock to 12 to 6. So the track will be different, but I don’t know what configuration it will be. The last plan they publicly discussed was there would be dirt, synthetic, and turf. There was some concern that the turf course wouldn’t be wide enough for a fall turf meet like Laurel has every year.
Old 03-18-2024, 10:29 AM   #8
bisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
I'll believe it when I see it
It’s a done deal… the extra 25 million that needs to be appropriated is a drop in the bucket compared to the 355 million in revenue collected in 7 months from taxes on marijuana sales. When I heard the Maryland Stadium Authority got involved last year I knew this would become reality. Racing will survive in States that have a breeding infrastructure to support it. The days that tracks think they can survive off Kentucky’s cast offs are over.This setup is similar to New York and Keenland.
Old 03-18-2024, 12:05 PM   #9
Sheffwed

a unique opportunity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisket View Post
The reason they’re building a training center is because they’re turning the track that today is 9 o’clock to 3 o’clock to 12 to 6. So the track will be different, but I don’t know what configuration it will be. The last plan they publicly discussed was there would be dirt, synthetic, and turf. There was some concern that the turf course wouldn’t be wide enough for a fall turf meet like Laurel has every year.

given the limited land, and the focus on the infield during the biggest day of the year you have to wonder if there might be an opportunity here to do something different

namely put all the fans in the infield and don't build a new stand on the outside at all

leaves room to build an expanded track, adequate stables and housing for workers (can do multi level stables to save more space) and a multi story large parking garage as well

also hope Maryland puts some emphasis on returning racing to Fair Hill and ramping that up as well

the Maryland economy would benefit more generally, as has Virginia and Kentucky and mid Atlantic racing in general stands to benefit
Sheffwed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2024, 12:32 PM   #10
bisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheffwed View Post
given the limited land, and the focus on the infield during the biggest day of the year you have to wonder if there might be an opportunity here to do something different

namely put all the fans in the infield and don't build a new stand on the outside at all

leaves room to build an expanded track, adequate stables and housing for workers (can do multi level stables to save more space) and a multi story large parking garage as well

also hope Maryland puts some emphasis on returning racing to Fair Hill and ramping that up as well

the Maryland economy would benefit more generally, as has Virginia and Kentucky and mid Atlantic racing in general stands to benefit
The Stadium Authority thought out of the box when it designed and built Camden Yards. As long as they stay within the economic structure passed by the legislature anything is possible. The Grandstand inside the track is a novel idea.
Old 03-22-2024, 12:15 PM   #11
Robert Fischer
clean money

Beyond Pimlico's 'Preakness'
Almost Zero interest in Maryland racing.

Shame IMHO as Laurel offers more variety/dynamic track configuration, and a nice neighborhood.
Old 03-22-2024, 02:00 PM   #12
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
Beyond Pimlico's 'Preakness'
Almost Zero interest in Maryland racing.

Shame IMHO as Laurel offers more variety/dynamic track configuration, and a nice neighborhood.
I've been to Laurel around 1000 times and couldn't tell you a thing about the neighborhood.

I've been to Pimlico about 500 times and never had a single issue with the neighborhood, and I often took the subway then the bus then walked a few blocks. The neighborhood thing is much ado about nothing. Is there a bunch of crimes against horseplayers I'm unaware of? Hell, we're usually broke after the card.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2024, 02:27 PM   #13
VeryOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I've been to Laurel around 1000 times and couldn't tell you a thing about the neighborhood.

I've been to Pimlico about 500 times and never had a single issue with the neighborhood, and I often took the subway then the bus then walked a few blocks. The neighborhood thing is much ado about nothing. Is there a bunch of crimes against horseplayers I'm unaware of? Hell, we're usually broke after the card.
Testify - current MD resident here and have been to both. Realize others here are similarly placed.

Laurel exists in a bit of its own island, so there really isn't a neighborhood to speak of. Pimlico is adjacent to a neighborhood but the few times I've been there, it was a complete non-issue. Reminds me a bit of the complaints about NYC, its subway, etc.- have lived there and was just up in NYC riding the subway, etc. and there is a big disconnect between some of the sensational coverage of NY and MD and reality.

I suspect this Pimlico rebuild is going to be a waste of my MD taxpayer money, but also understand that the Preakness is sacrosanct for enough politicians to make this a reality.
VeryOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2024, 02:58 PM   #14
racenomics

From the outside looking in, it looks like Maryland has sold out to the local horsemen more than I have even seen a track do. They should cut 4M from purses of their 100k stakes and overnight races, and create 2 big race days that are not close to the Preakness. Make a 750k F&M’s race in early January and a 500k sprint race along with it.
Old 03-22-2024, 03:49 PM   #15
Robert Fischer
clean money

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post

Fair enough.
My wife just passed away last month.

One of my favorite memories together was Oaks Day, a couple years ago.

Was about $20 for the special 🎟 🎫 tickets. I forget the exact excuse/wording, but basically was a fairly priced opportunity to attend. Leather sofas (saddle pictured) big screen tvs. About the toughest thing was listening to one ownership pitch (which was mildly complimentary if anything).

Was a rare nice winning day. Was up about a grand for weekend and was feeling well enough that was discussing basketball 🏀 coaching with security.

Nothing wrong with Pimlico.
Aside from heartstrings, my next love for LRL = 1m 2nd fin line configuration.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: