Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-13-2018, 09:11 AM   #1
emasie

Owner's Day on Race Day at Belmont Today

I'm the owner of Citizen Matzo, a 3 year old filly, running today at Belmont in the 7th Race.

Several members of the Forum asked me what's the owner's day like on Race Day... so I thought that I would share some random elements:

* Do Go or Not to Go? Our horses race in NY, FL and KY, as well as occasionally in NJ or MD. And, we live in Saratoga Springs, NY. Clearly, we would always want to be at the race - but schedules and business needs sometimes make that hard. I had not been planning on going - and instead have a relative there. But, as the race day gets closer - and seeing how good Citizen Matzo looks, I decided to take the trek to Belmont this afteroon and root her on.

* The Horse Has to Travel Too! Citizen Matzo takes the NYRA truck from Saratoga to Belmont - along with her groom. We want her to feel awake and alert on the day of Racing - so we time her exercise and prep, to make the trip as smooth as possible. And, since she has been at Belmont before, it is not a total surprise. We send our Oats along as well - since she eats a very healthy and natural set of food.

* No Lasix, Please! MASIE Stable and our trainer are always steering towards a No Lasix mode. Wish that were true with more of our industry. It is one of the most frequent questions that I get from others - "Why No Lasix - Would It Be a Disadvantage?" We have found that she is healthier and ready to go naturally.

* What Does the Field Look Like? While I look over the race card and see which horses she is most likely to be right against - I don't have conversations with others about the "field". We know how she will run and have a sense of which horses might be in the front early - but Citizen Matzo has a strong sense of running hard and fast - so the field is interesting - but doesn't change our strategy.

* The Jockey and Jockey Conversation: One of the most active conversations that I have with my trainer is about the jockey for the race. Today, we have Saez on Citizen Matzo. He likes her style and he is a good listener and communicator. My trainer would have had conversations with his agent to book the race - and they will chat in the Paddock area. I say hello when he comes out with our colors on - and then step away - so that the trainer and jockey can talk privately.

* Come out Healthy!! My wish, truely, is that all of the horses in the race and all of the jocks come out of the race in good shape. And, of course, I want her to progress - and maybe WIN. But, I go into it with a sense that it is a development step for her - and she will learn and perhaps grow from each race.

* At the Track: I head to the track by the 2nd race and will get a table in the Garden Terrace buffet at Belmont. Right by the window and will have some family, friends and for a bit, my trainer, join me. It is a fun and social day - and I am often hosting people for their first racing experience.

* When The Race is On: Don't talk to me I share a box with my trainer and really want to concentrate and focus - both on the big screen and with my binoculars. But, I don't really want to talk - and the race will be over in a minute. So, it is my personal and focused time.

* When She Wins - Off the Winning Circle and Cheering!
* When She Comes in 2 or 3 or 4 - Still Cheering - Looking to See How She Is!
* When She Comes in Last or in the Back - Immediately talk with Trainer and See What We Think
* Talk to the Jockey After They are Weighed In - On the trek back to the Jock Room - Talk with them and the trainer.
* Stop and Watch the Replay: It is the moment of better understanding what the dynamics of the Race.
* Check At the Barn: How Did She Come Out

* And, On the Way Back Home: Either Celebrating, Feeling Good or Bummed. But, as I said, it is a Sport. If everyone came out healthy - it was just another race. If she is on the down slope - there are decisions to be made - but those are ahead.

It is EXCITING to be an owner on the Day of the Race. Think of all those thoroughbreds born 3 years ago - only some will race, only some will race at a big track, only some will win and only some are headed afterwards to Saratoga Springs.

As an owner, we are investors in the Sport. Not to get big $$ - that rarely happens - but to invest in the thrill and beauty and fun of horses and racing.

If you get to watch the 7th Race in Belmont today - which is at 6:15 as they have a later start - enjoy it and root Citizen Matzo on. May they all come out healthy!

Elliott (MASIE Stable)
emasie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
RunForTheRoses

Thanks for the post, must be real exciting for you. weather is nice today, not too hot or humid. And Good Luck.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Matzoh.jpg (49.2 KB, 3 views)
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2018, 10:36 AM   #3
098poi

Great post, best of luck and safe travels.
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2018, 10:40 AM   #4
MadVindication

Thanks for posting about this.

The no lasix is interesting to me. I know little about the drug but have shied from betting horses who werent on it in fields of horses full of it. I hope that one day it won't be given out to horses like candy just because it's customary.

I don't know any owners, only hope that there's lots of owners like you, with a genuine love for the sport and animals.

and I'm looking forward to seeing Citizen Matzo run I'd enjoy more posts like these with updates from your runners/stable.
MadVindication is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2018, 10:45 AM   #5
Afleet

good luck-I know how hard it is to win. I know how difficult it is to just get them to the gate. Hopefully I will have a few starters of my own later in the year. People who have never owned a horse, its hard to explain to them the rush you get when you win
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2018, 11:59 AM   #6
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Good stuff...I know I'll be rooting for you! Thanks for posting this.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:34 PM   #7
Jack950

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Good stuff...I know I'll be rooting for you! Thanks for posting this.
Yeah thx for sharing the owner experience Emasie, Will be playing that race today and give your horse a long look today. Good Luck,
Jack950 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2018, 05:50 PM   #8
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I actually like your horse in this spot. Sorry for the mush...
Old 07-13-2018, 06:15 PM   #9
Afleet

good luck; watching online and rooting for you!
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2018, 08:03 PM   #10
Robert Fischer
clean money

Exciting to watch her race today.

Hoping she bounces back, and finds a race with a softer pace up front. Broke really well today, but there were two others who were quick out of the gate and hard-used.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: