Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 01-23-2018, 12:35 PM   #316
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
The polar ice caps are not the only thing melting down!
I have battled youse guys on a dozen threads about climate change.

Not quite a "meltdown" More like a boredom-down.

Good luck to the 2 Bens
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2018, 12:42 PM   #317
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
who names their kid Rand?

A lot of possibilities for that inspiration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rand

Paul's actual first name is Randall (like PA's very own Replay Randall)

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)

Last edited by barahona44; 01-23-2018 at 12:47 PM.
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2018, 03:53 PM   #318
boxcar

A Message of Doom and Gloom

Ladies and Gentlemen of this Forum, we are doomed! We are without hope. For we are cursed if we don't and cursed if we do! Read and Weep!

Cleaning Up Air Pollution May Strengthen Global Warming

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...lobal-warming/

And,

A Cheap and Easy Plan to Stop Global Warming

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/5...lobal-warming/

What a horrible Catch-22 Dilemma we're in. Should we eliminate global warming and opt for global cooling instead? Or should we clean up the air pollution and increase global warming? A real hand-wringing situation to be sure.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:31 PM   #319
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
I have battled youse guys on a dozen threads about climate change.

Not quite a "meltdown" More like a boredom-down.

Good luck to the 2 Bens
You have not given any proof to back up your arguments and seem to change the subject often when facts are thrown in your face to refute the science fiction you believe in. A few things you have not answered.

What happened to the ice age that your kind predicted in the 70's?

What has your doomsday predicting hero Stephen Hawking invented, discovered or even predicted a far fetched theory that has came true?

I will wait for your answer. What I find comical is the more educated people are in scientific theory the less condescending they are toward people that don't believe in their theory and projections.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 01-23-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2018, 01:13 PM   #320
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
You have not given any proof to back up your arguments and seem to change the subject often when facts are thrown in your face to refute the science fiction you believe in. A few things you have not answered.

What has your doomsday predicting hero Stephen Hawking invented, discovered or even predicted a far fetched theory that has came true?

I will wait for your answer. What I find comical is the more educated people are in scientific theory the less condescending they are toward people that don't believe in their theory and projections.
Who needs proof when you are a dim, you just have to say it enough times so other dims repeat it and after awhile it is 'truth'.

davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2018, 04:55 PM   #321
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:

This site gives a concise explanation of the ice-age climate myth that circulated in the 70's. https://www.skepticalscience.com/ice...s-in-1970s.htm

An interesting aside. The scientist who pushed the coming ice age 40 years ago admitted his error and became a convert to theories of global warming. Sometimes scientists are wrong.

Quote:
Hawking is a theoretical physicist, much like Einstein was. When Einstein published his theories of relativity he had not proven each one. For example, Einstein's theory of general relativity predicted that the space-time around Earth would be not only warped but also twisted by the planet's rotation. Gravity Probe B (launched in 2004) showed this to be correct. Took a long time to prove them to be true.

Like Einstein, Hawking was more interested in theoretical physics. Hawking has made significant contributions in cosmology and astronomy. For example,

"In 1970 Hawking proved the first of many singularity theorems. This theorem provided a set of sufficient conditions for the existence of a singularity in space-time, and also implied that space and time would indeed have had a beginning in a Big Bang event, and would end in black holes. In effect, he had reversed Penrose's idea that the creation of a black hole would necessarily lead to a singularity, proving that it was a singularity that led to the creation of the universe itself."

Quote:
I would say, the more you know the greater your chances of coming up with the right theory.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2018, 05:09 PM   #322
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
Who needs proof when you are a dim, you just have to say it enough times so other dims repeat it and after awhile it is 'truth'.
You might want to find a more authoritative person.

"Rod Martin, Jr. is not just a "climate hoax" conspiracy theorist, he's a 9/11-truther too. His expertise in climate science is apparently based on him writing science fiction and graduating summa cum laude in his bachelor's degree in computer information technology (from goodness knows where). His website has evidence that he's not an expert in anything, let alone climate science."
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2018, 08:02 PM   #323
tucker6

seems the polar bears are doing quite well after all. Susan Crockford is a polar bear expert.

http://business.financialpost.com/op...g-theyre-dying
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2018, 08:12 PM   #324
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
seems the polar bears are doing quite well after all. Susan Crockford is a polar bear expert.

http://business.financialpost.com/op...g-theyre-dying
Yeah the polar bear was really a poor example to use for Global Warming.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2018, 08:21 PM   #325
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Yeah the polar bear was really a poor example to use for Global Warming.
Dishonest as well. The photo of the polar bear adrift on an ice flow was a photo shop in support of the meme. Polar bears in decline was never true, and the people at the money trough knew it. Here's how I make decisions about things. If you have to lie and cheat to make your scientific argument look and sound better, then you likely don't have the winning argument. PR gambits should not be a part of science.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2018, 08:37 PM   #326
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
Dishonest as well. The photo of the polar bear adrift on an ice flow was a photo shop in support of the meme. Polar bears in decline was never true, and the people at the money trough knew it. Here's how I make decisions about things. If you have to lie and cheat to make your scientific argument look and sound better, then you likely don't have the winning argument. PR gambits should not be a part of science.
Meh everyone does it in the world of politics. Climatologists don't use the polar bear as proof. I don't deny climate change is occurring and find it foolish to think we have no involvement in it.

It's just also stupid to select a highly intelligent and adaptive apex predator as your standard bearer for the argument.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2018, 10:18 PM   #327
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Seems like the fruit loops in CA are starting another crusade in the courts. I wonder how long it will take reasonable judges to overturn this?

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nati...203842084.html
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2018, 12:31 AM   #328
Dave Schwartz

Welcome to the age of agenda-based science.

It functions pretty much like a survey, which is often (usually?) based upon one's political leanings.

(This is "anecdotally speaking" because I have no proof and understand that there is a difference between "fact" and "opinion." This would be my opinion.)

Dave
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2018, 09:17 AM   #329
chadk66

I just wish this stupid global warming would quit pissing around and get here already. I won't have to winter in AZ then. They promise all this BS and then can't deliver. If I recall we were all going to be dead by now and we haven't even had a decent winter yet. jackasses.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2018, 09:24 AM   #330
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Welcome to the age of agenda-based science.
The Agenda-based scientific method

1. Decide on conclusion
2. Create data to support it
3. Email to 10 friends and have them print it
4. Declare it to be peer-reviewed
5. End all debate.

Optional

6. Go to PaceAdvantage and argue about it ad nauseam

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: