Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Old 09-17-2021, 05:08 PM   #10006
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I just got a notice that NYC is getting ready to start their booster program as soon as they get the OK from the FDA and CDC.

My prediction:
I am not for or against the vaccine, I am for individual choice based on risk and benefit. I think the booster program might be pushed due to millions of potential sickly people just walking in, in short we are importing Covid-19.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2021, 06:17 PM   #10007
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

FDA authorizes over-65s for third shot.

https://nypost.com/2021/09/17/fda-ad...0News%20Alerts
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2021, 06:46 PM   #10008
woodtoo

Circle jerkin jivin Biden style.

in-out vaccine door..jpg
Old 09-17-2021, 06:52 PM   #10009
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
The FDA panel voted 16-2 against boosters for the general population... for now.

-jp

Old 09-17-2021, 07:58 PM   #10010
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
The FDA panel voted 16-2 against boosters for the general population... for now.

-jp

Oh, science by consensus.
Old 09-18-2021, 11:23 AM   #10011
chrisl

My wife tested positive on last Tuesday. They offered her some medication she declined it. She received the Moderna vaxx both shots a couple of months ago.She had a fever for about 24 hours. Third day she felt fine except really tired.
A lot better today but no taste or smell at all. This was in Anchorage and the Dr. told her that there is no need to hospitalize anyone who has had the vaccine if they get COVID. The hospitals are stuffed in Anchorage with COVID patients who are unvaxxed. Still very scary when a loved one gets COVID.
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2021, 03:08 PM   #10012
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl View Post
The hospitals are stuffed in Anchorage with COVID patients who are unvaxxed.
I would just like to point out the whole "lockdown to flatten the curve and make sure our hospital systems don't collapse" was total and utter bullshit.

This graph of the USA from the JOHNS HOPKINS COVID DASHBOARD proves it:

Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2021-09-18 150600.png (23.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-18-2021, 03:23 PM   #10013
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl View Post
Still very scary when a loved one gets COVID.
I'm not minimizing your specific feelings, but have a general question for the board. Why is covid still "very scary" when it's essentially the flu for the vast majority of Americans? They have treatment regimens now too that make you feel better more quickly. Have we all become lemmings that we allow the govt fear mongering to make us frightened children? Covid isn't the covid from last year. It's now the new flu bug and that didn't frighten anyone even though it killed 50-70,000 a year. The only difference is that covid can kill the elderly and immunocompromised more easily. Otherwise, it's the flu.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2021, 03:31 PM   #10014
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
I'm not minimizing your specific feelings, but have a general question for the board. Why is covid still "very scary" when it's essentially the flu for the vast majority of Americans? They have treatment regimens now too that make you feel better more quickly. Have we all become lemmings that we allow the govt fear mongering to make us frightened children? Covid isn't the covid from last year. It's now the new flu bug and that didn't frighten anyone even though it killed 50-70,000 a year. The only difference is that covid can kill the elderly and immunocompromised more easily. Otherwise, it's the flu.
I happen to know several people who have died from covid...but I don't know anybody who has died from the flu. That makes me think that covid isn't the flu...and I think many people out there feel the same as I do. My sister died of covid...and I'm pretty sure that she would have survived the flu.
Old 09-18-2021, 03:40 PM   #10015
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I happen to know several people who have died from covid...but I don't know anybody who has died from the flu. That makes me think that covid isn't the flu...and I think many people out there feel the same as I do. My sister died of covid...and I'm pretty sure that she would have survived the flu.
I know you are sensitive to my questions and statements Gus but that wasn't what I was getting at. I guess I worded it poorly.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2021, 03:49 PM   #10016
thaskalos

Quote:
I know you are sensitive to my questions and statements Gus but that wasn't what I was getting at. I guess I worded it poorly.
It could be that I was the one who worded my post poorly; I didn't mean to convey any "irritation" in my post. But when we say that "covid is the flu"...are we basing our opinion solely on our comparison of the death rates of the two viruses? Because I've had both covid AND the flu...and my experience while recovering from these viruses could not be compared to one-another.
Old 09-18-2021, 04:01 PM   #10017
chrisl

Quote:
Completely understand your post. Wearing many hat's. Husband, Father, Uncle, son in law, Etc. I still get very worried when anyone in my family gets the flu or even sick. The curse of caring to much I guess.
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2021, 04:40 PM   #10018
GMB@BP

Covid is a bitch, my brother in law on a ventilator right now.

politics aside, its hard to think of this virus as the flu when a healthy 44 year old is not far from dying.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2021, 10:53 PM   #10019
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Sorry about your sister, Gus....That being said....

The CDC estimates that an average of 36,000 people died of the flu each year over the past decade. The worst recent flu season was 2017-2018, when 61,000 people died from the flu.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2021, 09:51 AM   #10020
classhandicapper

I want to make an interesting point about the flu that no one ever seems to make. First, to be clear, I’m not trying to make the case Covid is not serious. I’m trying to make the case that flu may be more serious that we intuitively think.

10s of millions of people get flu shots every year in the US.

What would the death rate for flu be if loads of people didn’t get vaccinated?

When they compare the IFR for Covid vs. Flu they never seem to incorporate the flu vaccination info into the thinking. They should look at the IFR for unvaccinated.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: